Author Topic: Anyone here tried the beta for OFFICE 2010...?  (Read 830 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Anyone here tried the beta for OFFICE 2010...?
« on: February 13, 2010, 02:59:57 PM »
We just ordered my daughter a new DELL for her college work and she was planning to get the student OFFICE 2007 PRO, until I checked out if a new version was on the way...

We still use OFFICE XP (at home - I have 2007 on my work laptop, and I don't like the interface - probably just unfamiliarity) and have no requirement to upgrade (until my wife gets stuck on something that means work, or the new version of "Publisher" REALLY is an improvement...  :P)

I could download the 2010 beta and it's useable until October, but is it worth it...? anyone here used it...?

(aware of "Open Office")
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Anyone here tried the beta for OFFICE 2010...?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:56:30 AM »
No experience with the beta...can't help.

Comment about 2007 - good programs but they changed the interface so much that it's a PITA to learn.  I'm there, but it took some time.

I reset the default save in Word to use 2003 formt, as many people don't have 2007 yet and the reader patch you can download from MS doesn't always work.  however, I learned that when you do the same in Powerpoint (save a 2007 file in 2003 format) it makes a much larger file.  that may not be a problem, but I thought I'd mention it.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 11:47:40 AM »
I ordered a copy of Student 07 for my daughter when she started college level classes which, in her case was her last year of high school as she qualified for the dual credit program.  She's had no problem with it other than initially learning the new interface - which took her a couple of days - tops :-[

Just order the Student 07 and she'll be fine with it  - kids pick this stuff up much faster than us old farts - even tech savy old farts >:(

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »
Just order the Student 07 and she'll be fine with it  - kids pick this stuff up much faster than us old farts - even tech savy old farts >:(

I wanted to calculate how much more tech savvy than my daughters I am, but I couldn't find my slide rule.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 02:52:11 PM »
Thanks for that, Gents...

I remember the slide rule I bought for college, and my first calculator, with it's beautiful red LED's...  ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:10:03 PM »
THAT's what would bring back the slide rule: colorful LEDs!!

Or maybe not.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2010, 10:57:57 AM »
I still have a slide rule. Still know how to use it. But I rarely even use my calculator anymore. I just use my computer's calculator, and if I need any function it doesn't have, there are plenty of websites that can do it for you. Hell, you can do most of it by just entering your terms in Google.

Anyway, Open Office does everything I need and more.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2010, 12:33:01 PM »
I didn't think Microsoft sold anything but beta versions.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2010, 06:20:54 PM »
;D ;D ;D
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »

No no no, you are confused on a basic point....all their software is fully developed when they issue it.  They add value by doing frequent updates - like 2 or 3 a day!

That way you always have nice FRESH software!  Of course, since it's so fresh it sometimes has to be ripened by updates....