Author Topic: Guitar humbucker sized bass pickups, what to use?  (Read 20070 times)

Deathshead

• View Profile
Re: Guitar humbucker sized bass pickups, what to use?
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2010, 05:50:16 PM »
ok, so Allparts is checking availability on the schaller bassbucker for me, and I just got another response back from Dimarzio., I think i may roll the dice and try these,  and listen to Dimarzio, I hope they know what they are talking about,...

"I also stated the X2N-B has very high output. It is not the same as the Model G, which had much lower output and a brighter sound. I do not think the X2N-B is a good choice. My personal suggestion is the D-Activator X neck model (DP221) which has medium output and a fairly clean and bright sound. It should work very well as a bass pickup. "
Neck pickup is 11.29 ohms
300mv output
Tone Guide
Treble: 4.5
Mid: 5.5
Bass: 6.5

after checking out the specs, the d activator x Neck pup comes in at 11.29 ohms, right around the range of alot of hot bass pickups are,  Just wondering if i should buy 2 Neck pickups or get the bridge pickup for the bridge,
bridge is 14.51 ohms
500 output
Tone Guide
Treble: 4
Mid: 6
Bass: 5.5  (the last thing i want at the bridge is LESS bass, im trying to fatten it up and make it more usable.)

just as a guideline, the dimarzio ultra jazz pup has the following specs,
250mv output
12.30 ohms
treble 6
mid 4.5
bass 6.5 

Im thinking the neck pup in both positions should work very well, and still have a nice agressive edge,
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 06:09:32 PM by Deathshead »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2010, 08:45:45 PM »
Whatever floats your boat. But I would never buy a pickup based on output or resistance measurements. Never. Even the relative bass/treble/mid ratings don't tell you about tone.

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2010, 07:53:46 AM »
yea, very true i cant just go by "specs"

Schaller just emailed me back, they say that the bassbucker is thier own deisgn and not a dimarzio model g copy, they said they still make it too,.. so its looking like a toss up between the rio grand pitbull and the schaller,..

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 06:47:40 AM »
Thanks Scott, (godofthunder) for selling me his spare Schaller bassbucker, looks like this is what i'll run in this bass if they sound good. its a cool old school design from the 70's hopefully are what im looking for.

now i just need to locate another for the bridge, Just got a reply from Schaller that they indeed DO still make them and that allparts can order them in, yay

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2010, 07:07:17 PM »
So, I realize that it's a little late but I also have a humbucker size bass pickup project that I need to sort out.

My project is a 76 Kramer 350 aluminum neck that needed to be rescued in a major way.

The previous owner "installed" EMG P & J pickups in this Koa body with a 1/4 inch drill bit and chisel or butter knife, the original pickup is long gone, screwed a Leo Quan in place of the original bridge and attached the worst looking home made pick guard ever to this already funky 4 string... they will burn in HELL for what they did to this poor instrument.

I too thought about the Pit Bulls but after assessing my needs I decided to try the budget approach... everything has been repaired but none of the hardware is original, I did splurge on a new Schaller bridge as locating an original was impossible.

I ordered a GFS rail type pickup and some blank covers tonight.

Since the Pit bulls are the same size I can always upgrade the bass in the future.

I'll keep y'all posted on the results.
Bring on the Nubiles

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2010, 07:30:42 PM »
The Schallers should of came stock on that Kramer.

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2010, 08:40:37 PM »
Well, they may have been Schallers but the 350 and 450 had the chrome covers with KRAMER scratched in the top and a wooden pickup ring. If you go to that Vintage Kramer site and look at the electronics section there are some good pictures. They adjust for height from the back and they are pretty neat looking.

I thought about the 232s since they were OEM on some of the later models and noticed there is a guy on ebay selling off NOS or UOS examples. For that kind of cash I thought I'd just buy the Pit-Bull?

I'll keep you posted.
Bring on the Nubiles

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2010, 01:08:53 PM »
I ordered a GFS rail type pickup and some blank covers tonight.

That sounds interesting, what models did you ordered? Power rails or crunchy rails? Power rails have a fuller sound and I think they'll be a better mach for a bass.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 05:45:12 PM »
Yep, I chose the power rails bridge model, it will probably sound ridiculous.

I thought that it would be the best suited for bass too.

I am, of course, only basing this theory on a gut feeling... no actual evidence  ;D

I'll keep you posted
Bring on the Nubiles

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2010, 01:22:41 AM »
Hey man you can't go wrong with gut feeling, that led me to buy that Epi Tbird some years ago! ;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2010, 10:35:41 AM »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2010, 12:09:03 PM »
So is this basically the first version of the Model G?
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2010, 06:22:11 AM »
went back and forth the other day about the model g and the bassbucker, the this guy posted a pretty interesting pic of one cracked open, he swears its a x2n with pole peices instead of blades..

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=569920&highlight=bassbuckers

Deathshead

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2010, 06:25:04 AM »
Just wanted to point that too that smooth chrome covers fit over the bassbuckers wonderfully, better then their own covers..