Author Topic: What do you say to this?  (Read 6324 times)

westen44

• View Profile
Re: What do you say to this?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2013, 10:45:47 AM »

I'm sure he's a better bass player than me.........Hell, everybody is, just the way it goes  :)

This is what I'm beginning to think--I'm not just applying this to the specific example of my friend, but to things in general.  The most important thing you have is your enthusiasm.  That's going to be different for everyone, but it's obviously essential.  Once you start comparing yourself to others, somehow that opens you up to potentially making your enthusiasm unguarded.  Once the comparisons start, you've opened yourself up to something which is potentially infinite.  So, to me what makes the most sense is to take whatever steps you can to maintain your enthusiasm.  At the same time, always do what you can to progress, of course.  But that can be done without paying too much attention to comparisons.  Otherwise, if you did get mired down in comparisons, it would be like getting on a treadmill you can't get off of.  

To use the common sports analogy, maybe what this should be about the most is the love of the game. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 01:42:53 PM by westen »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2013, 12:32:11 PM »
Everybody will tell you that simple is better. In many cases ignorance is bliss. Many rock players are happy pounding root eighth-notes all night.

But your friend seems to want to know more. I would encourage him to do just that. Studying jazz will do wonders.

This thread is probably about finished and that's fine with me. However, I've had a chance to think about this some more and decided I'd say more about the jazz issue.  Recently, I had a "discussion" with someone else about this issue.  He has decided he likes jazz way more than rock and considers jazz to be a big step beyond rock.  It bothered him, for instance, that so many rock bassists were included in a recent Rolling Stone poll.  I told him that I liked rock quite a lot and, in fact, preferred it to jazz.  The discussion ended with both of us disagreeing with the other.

In this particular instance with my friend, I will have to agree that your answer totally makes sense.  He is essentially a blues rock bassist who keeps finding himself among jazz musicians.  So, certainly learning much more about jazz would be a very good idea for him.  But for people who aren't planning on playing with jazz musicians, I can't say that learning jazz would be the best thing to do.  But there are plenty of people--including people on this board--who are really good rock bassists.  They like rock; it's their genre of choice.  Although Mitch Mitchell was a jazz drummer and that impacted the sound, Hendrix didn't need jazz to write, play, and sing some of the greatest music I've ever heard.  Many other examples could be given. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2013, 12:55:03 PM »
This is a really interesting thread. I can definitely feel for your friend. I am one of those bassists who has been playing almost thirty years but don't know all the notes on the fretboard! But I can get around by feel.

I actually stopped playing from '96-2002 - about five years. When I started up again, I realized that although I have always listened to technical, virtuoso music - from Deep Purple, Rush & Yes to Stanley Clarke, Jaco Pastorius, Mahavishnu Orchestra, etc. - I also love the blues and straight-ahead rock 'n' roll, and part of what makes that music work is the attitude as opposed to the technique. When I got back into music, I realized that I had something to say on the instrument, and that I didn't have to just ride the coattails of the guitarist. Part of my growth was the other people I was playing with - in fact, that is such a huge part. I feel like after 25-30 years I am finally learning how to solo, but there are also times when I like to just groove and play a repetitive bass line over and over if that's what the music needs.

Another kind of music I have discovered is soul jazz - late-'60s/early-'70s stuff like the organ trio stuff by Jimmy McGriff, Brother Jack McDuff, later Grant Green, also like the music that came out on the CTI label. Finding a guitar player who is into this stuff and playing in a trio with him has forced me to practice, learn some new stuff, and solo a lot more! 10 years since I've re-started playing, I continue to find my voice, I feel so blessed to have a band to play with again, and continue to deepen my enjoyment of music.

I was fortunate to see Victor Wooten play but also went to his clinic - I felt like I understood a lot of what he talked about - it's about the music and being yourself, not about trying to sound like someone else. It's also about listening, learning and enjoying. I heard other people who were at the same clinic saying things like "after seeing him play I wanted to throw away my bass" and I felt like they didn't get it yet. I felt inspired to go home and practice for my band so that I could continue to improve my own playing, totally separate from anything technical that Victor did.

Sorry for the long-winded response, not sure if this is relevant to what your buddy is going through but it's what I thought about when I read this thread...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 02:18:32 PM »
But for people who aren't planning on playing with jazz musicians, I can't say that learning jazz would be the best thing to do.

I think whether you play it or not, jazz just makes for a good vehicle to delve deeper into areas like music theory, sight reading, improv skills/soloing, and rhythm - all things that can be applied (even subtly) to good effect in any style of music.  For a bassist, rhythm is critical - and getting adept at swing feel, syncopation, african, latin, and more advanced stuff like polyrythms will all come out of jazz study.  Gaining that experience and understanding will only make for a more solid, versatile player IMO.

Of course, I need to listen to my own advice.  I studied jazz when I was younger, and like Harry I stepped away from music for some time.  My ability to sight read, and much of my knowledge of theory has vaporized.  Since getting back into it, I've admittedly been coasting and lack the discipline/attention span/time-management to really knuckle down and force myself to get better as a player.  I'll admit that being in a cover band doesn't really incent me to take that plunge either.  Just having fun with it now, but I do feel that nagging guilt...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2013, 02:28:54 PM »
I ended up saying more than I intended to.  This really started as an attempt to get some ideas to pass along to my friend because it looked like he needed it.  I did pass on some info from some of the posts to him, mostly paraphrased and that actually did seem to help.  An issue like this one may vary from one person to another.  Personally, I would find what Dave said to be the most applicable.  Because that's just the way I look at things, too.  But like I was saying in my earlier post, because my friend does seem to find himself playing in bands with jazz musicians, certainly Ilan's advice for him to consider going deeper into jazz might be beneficial to him. 

--Blaise Pascal

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2013, 03:13:47 PM »
Bass players who overplay are a dime a dozen, which is why you can find them playing in most any local club bar band.  Bass players who have chops but also enough self-control to just play a part that adds to a song and no more, especially something on the radio, are a rarity....which is why you see the few good ones playing on sessions for multiple artists.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2013, 02:16:26 PM »
I remember going to see Billy Sheehan back in the day, talk about feeling inadequate! I have taken bits of others playing rolled it all up in a ball and made it my own, am I the fastest, tastiest bass player out there? Not by a long shot but I think I am unique in a way, I do what I do. Your friend should take stock of what he does, if he doesn't like what he hears then  lessons and practice. These days I never compare myself to others.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2013, 06:37:58 PM »
I remember going to see Billy Sheehan back in the day, talk about feeling inadequate! I have taken bits of others playing rolled it all up in a ball and made it my own, am I the fastest, tastiest bass player out there? Not by a long shot but I think I am unique in a way, I do what I do. Your friend should take stock of what he does, if he doesn't like what he hears then  lessons and practice. These days I never compare myself to others.

I went to a bass clinic featuring Sheehan.  The thing that drove me nuts was the fact that he barely moves his hands and fingers during all that.  Every part of his playing is so intricate and co-ordinated, he makes it look easy.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty