Author Topic: Ampeg B-1 and Ampeg 2-12 cabinet  (Read 10582 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Ampeg B-1 and Ampeg 2-12 cabinet
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2011, 12:22:01 PM »
Tubes last much, much longer than people think.  Most of the tubes in my '67 blackface Bassman were in it when I got it 40+ years ago.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2011, 12:29:55 PM »
I think power tubes don't last as long as preamp tubes and when they go they can cause serious havoc.  Preamp tubes just stop working.  I changed all the tubes in my B-15N as a precaution.  I can't tell a difference between the new ones and the 1965 ones.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 03:57:36 PM »
Good question.  Because it came from the Evil Empire?  That's all I got. :-[

Wise decision Carlo!  Evil empire indeed :vader: ;D  And here I was thinking you were just an anarchist and come to find out you're a closet Republican :P

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2011, 04:17:42 PM »
Is there a difference?  The ultimate 'small government' is anarchy, no? ;D

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 04:34:07 PM »
The EH tubes are OK in my opinion although with a few exceptions most of the modern tubes I've tried tend to get a brownish (read that as you will) tone to them after about a years worth of my usage. I find the EH's rich sounding but a little brittle when pushed. I like the modern Tung-Sols personally. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the EH's and the Tung-Sols are made in the same factory. Mores the Irony  :-\ .

I spent about 2 years tube rolling 12AX7's and U7's through my SVP-PRO. IMO the JJ's, EH's, Sovtek, etc are all quite acceptable tubes but I found one thing amongst all of the bu115h1t (of which there is much) on the inteweb to be true, The old Telefunken tubes (even a lot of second hand ones) have beaten all other tubes I've tried in all aspects of sound and longevity. Just my opinion. I'm not one of these "if its not NOS then its crap" people. As I said I do like the new Tung Sols.  I did a direct comparison between a vintage Tung Sol and the new ones and found the sound to be of the same quality but a bit different to each other. The new tube had more sparkle to it and the old tube had a more creamy smooth sound. Both great sounding tubes though. The other tubes I like were then Raytheon black plates. They made gazillions of these tubes in the 60's and 70's for the organs of the day, a lot of them labeled Baldwin etc. So they are still fairly easy to find and not as expensive as some of the other more "talked up" tubes. The problem I found with the internet was that most of the opinions regarding tubes came from either gu1tardists or Hi Fi buffs and I discovered during my tube rolling that taking their descriptions seriously was next to useless when you put the tube in a bass amp. It just sounds different.
Digresion our specialty!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2011, 05:47:08 PM »
Thanks, Freud!  I'll give the modern Tung Sols a shot.  I've also got 2 different pairs of 12AX7s from my Demeter I can try.  Don't remember what they are right now.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2011, 05:59:23 PM »
Good question.  Because it came from the Evil Empire?  That's all I got. :-[

Say what?  ??? 1991 or later is post-Evil Empire.

You have a couple of vintage Boris Yeltsin Signature tubes there. I'm sure they're worth a small fortune. Very small.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2011, 06:17:52 PM »
Say what?  ??? 1991 or later is post-Evil Empire.

You have a couple of vintage Boris Yeltsin Signature tubes there. I'm sure they're worth a small fortune. Very small.

I figure it took at least 2 years to get that stuff shipped...I've worked in a Commie country, gummint controlled bidness moves slowly.  The USSR Ruble didn't stop being printed until 1992.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2011, 06:29:32 PM »
I figure it took at least 2 years to get that stuff shipped...I've worked in a Commie country, gummint controlled bidness moves slowly.  The USSR Ruble didn't stop being printed until 1992.

Mike Matthews would have found a way to get them out.  :-X

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2011, 06:43:04 PM »
The SLM-era Ampeg tonestack responds pretty favorably to tube changes. Telefunkens are really nice, but especially for a Fenderbird, I would suggest an old Mullard. Their preamp tubes really do make just about any amp sound "Marshally" without changing the amp's inherent character. That was my secret that I used on my old guitarist's Fender Prosonic. If you want a Mullard without paying inflated vintage prices look for "IEM" branded 12AX7's. That was Mullard's lesser used export designation. Just make sure the tube says "Made in Great Britain." A lot of later IEM's are's Tesla or Philips rebrands, which are still great tubes, but don't sound the same.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2011, 03:03:09 AM »
Thanks, Anthony.  I'll keep an eye on Ebay to see what shows up at a reasonable price.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2011, 06:08:24 AM »
BTW, it's "IEC," not "IEM." I didn't realize I had typed that until I looked at my post again.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2011, 06:15:03 AM »
Thanks!

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2011, 06:49:19 AM »
The SLM-era Ampeg tonestack responds pretty favorably to tube changes. Telefunkens are really nice, but especially for a Fenderbird, I would suggest an old Mullard. Their preamp tubes really do make just about any amp sound "Marshally" without changing the amp's inherent character. That was my secret that I used on my old guitarist's Fender Prosonic. If you want a Mullard without paying inflated vintage prices look for "IEM" branded 12AX7's. That was Mullard's lesser used export designation. Just make sure the tube says "Made in Great Britain." A lot of later IEM's are's Tesla or Philips rebrands, which are still great tubes, but don't sound the same.

Anthony is correct. Mullard was owned by Philips as was Amperex Holland and a whole raft of other tube companies with different brand names around the globe from Brazil to South Africa, Japan even the Hendon factory here in Adelaide. They swapped stock between different Philips companies if they were short just to add to the confusion. More specifically the Mullard factory at Blackburn in Lancashire is the source generally regarded as making best of that brand.
Digresion our specialty!

Vintage Gibson

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2011, 09:15:34 PM »
I have both the B1 single space rack amp and the 2-12 cab with 3 rack spaces for the gear.  It works and sounds wonderful.  I don't have a lot of "time"on the tubes either, neither piece has been gigged, and both are almost like new.   Actually, I would be willing to sell them, if anyone is interested because I have other rigs, that are more portable, and the cab is pretty heavy because the speakers have massive magnets and the wood in the cab is heavy. I live in North Carolina, near Greensboro, so give me an email or reply if you have any interest.