Author Topic: Combo being researched... Ashdown, Trace Elliot or what...?  (Read 4014 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Combo being researched... Ashdown, Trace Elliot or what...?
« on: September 18, 2010, 11:52:36 AM »
Ok... some of you may know that I'm pretty much a valvehead, thru-and-thru, but I may be in the market for a small but versatile combo, possibly with an extension cab... kinda drawn to Ashdown but any advice...?

One of the Ashdown's I've been looking at has been ABM C210 (with a separate 15 for bigger venues) or C410 - never tried one so purely what I'm drawn too and I rarely have bad instincts... always a first time...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
Re: Combo being researched... Ashdown, Trace Elliot or what...?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 12:58:12 PM »
http://bassoutpost.com/index.php?topic=4279.0

Just look down the page a bit!

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 07:24:05 AM »
Small and versatile bass amp? Try a Roland cube 100, you may like it. It's also lightweight.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/CUBE-100_BASS/
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:44:12 PM »
If you want small and versatile plus light, the Genz-Benz Shuttle 6.0 docked on a 12T speaker is 36 pounds and puts out 365W.  That's REALLY light.  And the head (3.75 pounds) can be un-docked and used free-standing.

NOT cheap, but very, very good.  Has a tube pre-amp which can be overdriven for tube OD, or you can back the pre-amp off for clean sound.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:09:14 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 04:51:03 PM »
I've been using an Ashdown EVO-II combo for a few years.  I love it.  I just added an Eden head and a spare cab.  You can hear the full rig live over on the Post Your Music thread.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2010, 10:12:27 AM »
Already hear that, ta...

I have my eyes on a couple of trader s/h both c210 ABM's both the same price(349GBP) and one being an EVOII the other an EVOIII

Also watching a EVOII 4x10 and a GK 115

There's also a 1985 Trace stack with a 210 and 115 at £350 but thats getting long in the tooth...?
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2010, 05:29:13 PM »
I've got an Eden Nemesis 250w Combo with a 15" speaker which has a pretty good sound. I use it to teach with and as a utility amp. No probs plugging an external cab and loading it down to 4ohms. Not sure what their availability or price in the UK is like but second hand I've found it a very reasonable package for the cash.

Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 05:39:57 AM »
Small and versatile bass amp? Try a Roland cube 100, you may like it. It's also lightweight.

http://www.roland.com/products/en/CUBE-100_BASS/

This is a great little amp but it's all about how much juice the rest of the band is is using. If you have to compete with a couple of pretty strong guitar amps that are gettting wound up pretty good , you're going to be wanting a little more power. For exampl, if you're trying to keep up with a pair of 60 watt Roland guitar amps that are lighting it up, and a drummer, you're going to come up short. If the competition is using something a little less, you're really going to love your little 100 watt Roland. They sound great and they are loaded with all kinds of electronics that make them as versatile as you can get.
Rick

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 06:32:11 AM »
i have been on a perfect combo quest since i dumped all of my marshall and svt's boat anchors many years ago. boy there are alot more options and price ranges now. less is more and small is good, at least in bass playing and amp selection.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 07:05:39 AM »
This is a great little amp but it's all about how much juice the rest of the band is is using. If you have to compete with a couple of pretty strong guitar amps that are gettting wound up pretty good , you're going to be wanting a little more power. For exampl, if you're trying to keep up with a pair of 60 watt Roland guitar amps that are lighting it up, and a drummer, you're going to come up short. If the competition is using something a little less, you're really going to love your little 100 watt Roland. They sound great and they are loaded with all kinds of electronics that make them as versatile as you can get.
Rick

You could always use the PA if you need more power! ;) A friend of mine bought this little amp and she's loving it. It is a bass girl's dream she said! ;)
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 02:00:55 PM »
I'm still waiting to get a look at the 500watt GK 2x12" w/tweeter combo that weighs in at 37 lbs.

Rick

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 02:09:03 PM »
Bret - nothing found s/h uk at present but still plenty of time for searching...

Rick - yep, been looking at the specs on that, too...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 06:04:12 PM »
They do one as a dual 12" as well but I haven't tried one. Not sure if there is much of a price difference. For a fet amp they sure have a rich sound. You just turn up the "Enhance" knob. Still makes me laugh to this day buit it certainly works.
Certainly not like real tubes but for a combo that is easy to move and use its a most respectable tone IMHO.

Here is the 2 x 12"

Digresion our specialty!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 06:41:22 PM »
It's funny; every single combo amp mentioned in this thread is killer. Think about that. The market focus for bass amps has shifted to the point that cutting edge innovation is now focused primarily in what was once a throwaway demographic: portable combo bass amps.  I daresay because of that, the sound of most of those is superior to many of their "upmarket" bigger cousins.

The determining factor between them is now reduced to tonal nuance, not simple reliability or functionality. It wasn't so long ago that bass combos came in two basic flavors: the workman models like the Peavey TNT series or the pricey boutiques pioneered by amps like the SWR Redhead. Every amp company made some model of combo, and they were probably their biggest sellers, but their innovation focus and advertising was on their big-stage rigs; not so anymore.

That's OK. It leaves more SVT's for me.  ;)

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2010, 11:52:44 AM »
... and I've still got my Hiwatt... ;D