Author Topic: Bassman TV!  (Read 3946 times)

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
Bassman TV!
« on: July 29, 2009, 11:56:29 AM »
I came across this on facebook today, Fender is releasing a "Bassman TV" series of Amps that look like little tweed TV sets of yesteryear. I think they're all tube tube driven and include an XLR out which is a definite plus & casters on some models.

You can give them a scout over, at their website (including a little commercial, and some sound bytes): http://www.fender.com/fba/bassmantv/

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:09:12 AM by JimmyBond8 »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Bassman TV!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 02:54:52 PM »
These are tube driven, not all-tube.

Another gimmick from Fender. Who wants a bass amp to look like a small tweed guitar amp? I sure don't. IMHO they would be better served by improving the tone and reliability of their regular bass amps.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 04:03:58 PM »
I don't see why anyone would be interested in them as anything but practice amps. I can't find them at the online dealers linked to the Fender site, but I'll bet they'd make mighty pricey practice amps.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 05:00:29 PM »
The full specs aren't there but the two .pdf promos show from 150 to 350 watts. That much solid state wattage could handle some club gigs even with the small cabs. Still, it smells like hype to me.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 09:35:29 PM »
I didn't find that info.  Yes, at those power levels they could handle a small gig.  That's a point in their favor!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 10:48:52 PM »
I am open to them.  I think their latest amps have been nice attempts, if off the mark a bit.  By offering a retro look, but a modern output, they give a modern amp for people who don't go for the Polytone vibe most modern bass amps have.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 07:16:47 AM »
I do believe that to a great extent, Fender lives off its tradition and nostalgia.  When boomers (myself included) get old enough to hang up the instruments, it will be interesting to see how they do.  I doubt that the tweed look has much appeal for teens and 20-somethings.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 07:38:14 AM »
Meh. A retro look in bass amps would not be tweed, it would be along the lines of Ampeg or Sunn.

The tweed look will live on in the guitar world because it's at least as much about the sound as the look. And the sound is still very much in style in certain music that's still very popular.

The tweed look has never been much of a factor in the world of bass. The tweed Bassman of old was a failure as a bass amp, no matter how much Fender's hype machine talks about "the mighty Bassman."

JimmyBond8

• "You're so cute when you're stupid"
    • View Profile
    • The Afterwhiles - My Band
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 08:30:15 AM »
Sorry, didn't mean to go spouting out false info. That'll remind me to read things first.  :-X

By offering a retro look, but a modern output, they give a modern amp for people who don't go for the Polytone vibe most modern bass amps have.
The tweed look has never been much of a factor in the world of bass. The tweed Bassman of old was a failure as a bass amp, no matter how much Fender's hype machine talks about "the mighty Bassman."

I agree with you EB2. I'm not a fan of Bass Amps that look like industrial machinery, and that's what made me notice them at all. I'm a fan of the unique when it comes to bass gear, as long as it doesn't come at the cost of playability or whatnot. But among most of the bands that I play out with, I'm the exception.
And the Bassman does have that history with bass, even if it was only to prompt someone to make a better bass amp. And Ironically, I think I saw one of these last night while watching Blues Brothers (I can't believe someone that plays music hadn't seen that movie), though I don't know if they were running a guitar or bass through it.

I'd still be interested to try them out. I'm never against trying out new or old gear.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 09:21:06 AM »

The tweed Bassman of old was a failure as a bass amp, no matter how much Fender's hype machine talks about "the mighty Bassman."

This is pretty much my sentiments ??? The old tweedy Bassman was a good sound for a guitar, but they were weak for a bass.
I played one of their reissues a while back and to say I was underwhelmed woud be an understatement. It DID look mighty cool though 8)
Rick

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 10:57:46 AM »
Whatever on the amp  :bored: .... I'll take that fiesta Jazz though!

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 12:12:25 PM »
I grew up in the 70's

to me nostalgia is "Acoustic" or George Jetson logo Peavey gear, not Fender Tweed--

I still gig ancient Jetson logo Peavey gear every weekend--if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 08:59:14 PM »
I grew up in the 70's

to me nostalgia is "Acoustic" or George Jetson logo Peavey gear, not Fender Tweed--

I still gig ancient Jetson logo Peavey gear every weekend--if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Ah b'leeve that reinforces my earlier point.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2009, 05:07:29 PM »
I can't help it, I'm really taken by the retro look of these amps.  I'm gonna call my local stores to see if they have any to try out.  I'm moving to a more acoustic trio group and I think it would look cool as long as it sounds good too.

I have to admit, 3 years ago I went through 3, yes 3, Fender Bassman amps and each of them crapped out in less than a month.  Bad circuits on all of them.  Finally got my Mesa Scout and it's worked flawlessly ever since.  To be honest, I would be careful about having any Bassman as my only amp, but as a second one to tinker with, I'd consider it.  I love the stupid look of these things. 
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2009, 02:39:01 AM »
Definitely doesn't appeal... looks like a new but old style suitcase on wheels... and needs to be "relic'd"...  at least the Jazz looks "worn-in"... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...