Author Topic: Tbird 5 question  (Read 4882 times)

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Tbird 5 question
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 07:20:58 AM »
Did Phil Lynott write that song???  ;D

I still regret not buying the last $8XX cherry t-bird 5 I was watching. A friend of mine bought it and painted it white!  :o ??? :-\

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 07:40:28 AM »
"Did Phil Lynott write that song???"  

If card-carrying Lizzy-ist Rob isn't here, I would dare venture the comment that harmony guitars like that were well out of Lizzy's compositional grasp in any given line-up, the Moore one possibly excepted. In my ears they never went further than "A Beginner's Course to Wishbone Ash and The Allman Brothers".

Bill Nelson would probably suffer a stroke if he heard you compared him to Thin Lizzy.  :mrgreen: He was seriously offended when in a midseventies tour of the Americas (that spawned the Modern Music song and his disenchantment at the "rock circus") someone compared him - unlikely enough - to Ted Nugent as a guitar hero (must have been their joint love for hollow-bodies, not hollow brains).

He also endeared himself to the headliner of one particular Be Bop DeLuxe support tour when he decribed that band in an interview as "those five people all dressed up as Freddie Mercury".

« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 07:50:42 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 10:17:11 AM »
"Hollow brains"  :D

"those five people all dressed up as Freddie Mercury"  ;D

mc2NY

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2011, 07:16:32 PM »
"Did Phil Lynott write that song???"  

If card-carrying Lizzy-ist Rob isn't here, I would dare venture the comment that harmony guitars like that were well out of Lizzy's compositional grasp in any given line-up, the Moore one possibly excepted. In my ears they never went further than "A Beginner's Course to Wishbone Ash and The Allman Brothers".

While I do like Be-Bop Deluxe (my dog was named BeBop)....the solo to "Wild One" off the TLizzy "Fighting" LP is still one of my favorites.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2011, 10:50:58 PM »
Bill Nelson would probably suffer a stroke if he heard you compared him to Thin Lizzy.  :mrgreen: He was seriously offended when in a midseventies tour of the Americas (that spawned the Modern Music song and his disenchantment at the "rock circus") someone compared him - unlikely enough - to Ted Nugent as a guitar hero (must have been their joint love for hollow-bodies, not hollow brains).

Personal idiocy aside, what puts me off of Ted the most is just how LAZY his playing actually is. When he had a producer with backbone looking over his shoulder, the results were amazing. After having seen a few of his live performances on video, it's obvious that he has a bad case of Eric Clapton disease: NO ONE in the band makes the boss look bad EVER!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:20:12 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 02:52:47 AM »
Unlike his politically inane views, I always liked his playing (songwriting was so-so on later albums). I find him comparatively tasteful in his playing and it has - unlike his hysterical screech of a voice - tone. Derek St. Holmes is now permanently back in his band (for the 3rd time) - about time. It can only get better with him.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 08:39:21 AM by uwe »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2011, 05:16:17 AM »
The last concert I saw was from last year on HD Net's Sunday Concert series and had Derek St. Holmes on vox and it was PATHETIC. Every instrument, vocals included, seemed keyed to a ducker sidechained to Nuge's guitar and his numerous rhythm clams were ALWAYS met with  heavily masked grimaces, especially from the bass player, as the band dropped out to try and pick up wherever he was going. It seemed like almost every time the band settled into the familiar loose 70's rock groove that made Nugent listenable, Ted could only keep it together for a couple of bars before dropping out to do an off-time lead or slur a change. Most of the "fans" there were political activists and justly so, because the music sucked (and I AGREE with many of the 'Nuge's political positions!) His vocals were actually the high point. At least his voice sounded decent, but then again, I enjoy screechers like Wango Tango and Great White Buffalo.

Funny you should comment on his guitar tone, because my wife hates it on everything but the first record. She fusses that I've filled her brain with tons of useless musician info, but this was was all her: she spotted the ass tone of the Fender Super Twin, which when clothed as the Studio Bass Amp, is killer for bass at least, but with guitar is horrendous. Nuge's walls of Peavey's faithfully replicated it in everything but punch.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:24:02 AM by Psycho Bass Guy »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2011, 08:44:38 AM »
Thinking about it, I like the tone on his first solo album best too. The second one was already let down by the Meatloaf vocals. Meatloaf has his rightful place, but the Ted Nugent band isn't it.

A buddy of mine saw him a couple of years ago and left midway through the concert. By the time the Nuge had welcomed all his NRA friends individually in person, half an hour was through.

Could Derek St. Holmes still sing?

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
Could Derek St. Holmes still sing?

You couldn't really tell. His monitor vocal feed was obviously too low and he was holding back alot to keep from blowing out his voice in the densely overcompressed mess of a mix. They did "Hey Baby" and he never warbled or cracked, but his voice was so poorly mixed against the band it didn't sound good.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 01:31:48 PM »
The overall sound on the two Discreet LP's are pretty good too, imho...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 06:07:25 AM »
Didn't like the singer on those that much though. St. Holmes' husky, but melodic vocals remain my favorite against all the Charlie Huhns and Brian Howes of this world.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 08:40:03 AM »
Over the weekend I sold my Univox Coily to a guy who told me about his Studio 5. He said it was a pretty awesome bass and could do about anything. He had to relocate the front strap button to keep it leveled, but he gave every indication he loved it. His has the cherry finish.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 03:05:44 PM »
Over the weekend I sold my Univox Coily to a guy who told me about his Studio 5. He said it was a pretty awesome bass and could do about anything. He had to relocate the front strap button to keep it leveled, but he gave every indication he loved it. His has the cherry finish.

Sic transit Coily.  Nice basses with a cool vibe, those. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2011, 12:50:02 AM »
... Didn't like the singer on those that much though.

Nuge' hisself... not a great singer as singers go but in the context of his work it works for me, excluding his foolish forays into ballads like Sasha, but then it related to his family so... It was the instrumental stuff that worked for me and Rob Grange's excellent growly bass sound during that period... I saw all the UK tours around (1st "solo" onwards) period up to post the loss of the "blond" Byrdland that was the "howler" he used for Great White Buffalo and Hibernation...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2011, 02:53:11 AM »
Wasn't there also a singer on the line up prior to the 1st 'solo' one (with Grange already on board, but not yet Davies and St. Holmes) that had a guy singing called 'Reverend" something?