Author Topic: TB+ pickup rings  (Read 2709 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Re: TB+ pickup rings
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2010, 06:46:26 PM »
I still have the motor out of my Cox P-51 Mustang. Those old things were FAST, loud and incredibly fun. Eventually the bodies got covered with fuel and exhaust and became sticky but it was all part of the experience.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Hornisse

« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2010, 08:35:21 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2010, 05:47:22 AM »
I always thought the non-retractable landing gear on those offensive - it looked outdated already in the Spanish Civil War when the Legion Condor used them to battle the Spanish Republic. But it probably gave them great landing stability on less than great airfield strips and might have had a stabilizing effect for the wings in dive attacks too - after all, the Stuka wasn't built for speed (or for being up in the air when Allied fighters were around, it was one lame target practice duck then!).

Miraculously, Oberst Rudel (the Stuka ace with 2530 sorties, three Soviet navy shipss, 800 Allied trucks and cars, 70 amphibious landing craft, 150 artillery and anti-tank gun positions, more than 500 tanks, four tank transport trains plus many bunkers and bridges to his credit, unfortunately also an unsavory Nazi regime apologet after the war) even managed to shoot down nine enemy planes with his Stuka - must have been unnarmed gliders!  Or perhaps he had those kills while flying his tank buster FW 190 A which he also flew (albeit not as often as his beloved Stuka).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...