Author Topic: Mick Hawksworth interview  (Read 1724 times)

EvilLordJuju

• Mud is its own reward
    • View Profile
    • Fly Guitars
Mick Hawksworth interview
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:05:19 PM »
I'm pleased to announce the latest interview from flyguitars.com, with rock bassist Mick Hawksworth.

Mick Hawksworth has been performing and recording for over 40 years, in a long line up of bands, and as a session player. In the 60s he was noted for his "technically brilliant basslines" after he formed the short-lived Andromeda with Attack frontman John Cann. Their sound was akin to Cream one moment, The Who the next, and perhaps Syd Barrett's Pink Floyd after that.
Over the next decade he played bass in Fuzzy Duck, Toefat, Jimmy McCullough Band, Landslide, Charley Horse, Shanghai, Human Orchestra, and Ten Years Later recording with the likes of Alvin Lee, Mickey Jones, Mathew Fisher (ex-Procol Harum), Gilbert O'Sulivan and more besides.

Check out the Mick Hawksworth interview (and for a chance to win an Andromeda CD, enter my Mick Hawksworth competition)

And finally, just as a taster, here's Mick playing his fretless RD artist (through his 1970 Acoustic 360) with his current band Tres Geezers. I went down to see them In February of this year, and filmed this. Watch out for the the bass solo, in the middle.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: Mick Hawksworth interview
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2009, 03:13:46 PM »
Not bad... Jules tipped me off about Mr Hawksworth (fretless RD'dom) and that the band runs a once a month session in a (nearly) local pub to me, inviting people up to play... may just check them out...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 05:27:12 AM »
Is that still the one he played with Ten Years Later, the Alvin Lee led power trio? It was natural and fretted at the time, but this looks refinned and after-market defretted. Nice playing and sound.

EDIT: Just skipped through the interview - I think you've topped yourself with that one, Jules, bravo! - , it is his former fretted natural one (his "second" as I now know!).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 05:43:12 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

nofi

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 07:07:39 AM »
nice inventive playing until the solo. it just killed the swing. :sad:

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 08:28:07 AM »
He leaves the shuffle rhythm. That always bothers me too. I don't like drum solos in different speeds either.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 08:41:01 AM »
Agreed. A very tastey and innovative player but  at solo time he dropped the groove , which does seem to be a common practice that I'm not nuts about.
About halfway through the solo he gets back on it for a while and the strays a bit later. If he picked out the relevant pieces and shortened the solo about 75% he  would be a real monster in that piece ;D

As it is, he brought some nice work,(that I'd be plenty willing to steal), into a standard shuffle ;D
Rick

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.brooksbassguitars.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 09:56:56 AM »
It's the drummer that drops the groove. If he would have kept on playing a shuffle the bass solo would have still been in the groove.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 02:13:34 PM »
I think Rob is absolutely right about this one! You must not recite me on this here subject, as I have a reputation to protect amongst soloists. But: It's the drummer, as always. And if it's not the drummer, it's some guitarist that destroys the whole meal. And keyboardists are famous for their lack of taste. javascript:void(0); Though I once heard a woman playing the triangle. That was nice! Later on she changed to maracca. That was even better!!!javascript:void(0);

nofi

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 02:56:19 PM »
off course the groove survives if the drummer continues. but when he stops so random bassist can show off his true wonderfullness.........well shit! ;D

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 05:23:34 AM »
Its always the drummers fault!
 :mrgreen:

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2009, 05:59:46 AM »
off course the groove survives if the drummer continues. but when he stops so random bassist can show off his true wonderfullness.........well shit! ;D

Hmm......."true wonderfulness", I got to get me some of that ;D
Rick