Author Topic: Happy Birthday Ritchie Blackmore  (Read 5698 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Happy Birthday Ritchie Blackmore
« on: April 14, 2015, 01:08:26 PM »

Evidently today is the exalted one's Birthday.......So we'd  better hear from Uwe!

Thanks for all the Deep Purple, pants splitting, Strat destroying memories  :toast:
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Birthday Ritchie Blackmore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2015, 05:20:38 PM »
Ritchie who?  8)

Uwe's apparently still on vacation in the deep south. He's probably sitting in a rocking chair on some veranda, wearing a white linen suit and sipping a mint julep.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 12:10:38 AM »
One of the greats for sure. If only he'd live up to his glorious past and former self and not embarrass himself and his fans as he does these days.
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 06:39:31 AM »
really? i doubt he is embarrassing anyone. this is what he does now, simple as that. hell, its been eighteen years now...
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 06:44:43 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 08:16:32 AM »
really? i doubt he is embarrassing anyone. this is what he does now, simple as that. hell, its been eighteen years now...

+1

Embarrassing would be trying to re-live the glory days. Not that I wouldn't want to see it. Hell, I'd even be interested in the rumored reunion with JLT, but I'm happy for the guy (just as I'm happy for Robert Plant). He is true "rock royalty" and has a hot, younger wife that he gets to make music with. Not a bad deal!

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 11:37:51 AM »
Music like that can be very refreshing for a change of pace.  Still, I can understand if not everyone likes it.  I don't listen to it much, but sometimes I do find myself listening to stuff like Hoven Droven--a Swedish folk rock band.  It all started when I bought some Nordic Roots CDs in a store in the early 2000s.  Blackmore's Night is actually better, though--much more focused.  My greatest flaw is allowing myself to be way too restricted to hard rock.  So if I can find something else that I also want to listen to, that can only be a good thing. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 12:16:30 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 02:31:39 PM »
Edited: 

Someone (not from this forum or any forum for that matter) has brought it to my attention that what I had posted here originally wasn't completely appropriate.  It was very complimentary to Richie Blackmore and I personally liked it.  But I'll reluctantly take it down. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 08:15:39 PM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2015, 05:13:33 PM »
I believe the present guitarist of the band has been with them longer than RB, but happy birthday none-the-less...!
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2015, 06:24:22 PM »

--Blaise Pascal

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 07:06:50 AM »
One of the greats for sure. If only he'd live up to his glorious past and former self and not embarrass himself and his fans as he does these days.

Are we talking about Blackmore or Uwe? ;D
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 08:00:07 AM »
Billy...! :mrgreen:
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2015, 11:17:39 AM »
Edited: 

Someone (not from this forum or any forum for that matter) has brought it to my attention that what I had posted here originally wasn't completely appropriate.  It was very complimentary to Richie Blackmore and I personally liked it.  But I'll reluctantly take it down.

Since when can Blackers not be ridiculed here? That is all the fun and inspires good discussion. My son - an avid Jimmy Page fan, what have I done???  :rolleyes: - put him down all through our trip (I had a lot of DP CDs with me!): "no mojo, doesn't bare his soul, no sex and sweat in his playing, those Arabian-tinged minorish scales are way too classical for me, his style is all dynamics and refinement, more like a conductor hovering above the music than really playing in it".

And while I do applaud the sincerity of Blackmore's engagement in the medieval thing/minstrel phase with his missus (he really likes that type of music and, obviously, her too), it still reads all too often in the red on the embarrassometer with me whereas Robert Plant's solo stuff sounds mature and befitting his age to me.

In contrast, stuff like this makes me wince (not all of Blackmore's Night's material is like that, but still too much of it):

And really isn't too much different from this here, except that The Wombles were more fun, had better fur and rocked more:

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 08:00:05 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »
But I wouldn't have wanted to co-habit with a Womble...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 04:08:26 PM »
My quote was from Billy Corgan in which he was saying positive things about Ritchie Blackmore and things not so positive about someone else.  As much as I agreed with it, I felt it was in poor taste because of the language that was used.   

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2015, 06:49:02 PM »
Oh yeah, Corgan digs all those "uncool for indies and grungers"-guitarists like Blackmore, Uli Jon Roth and Michael Schenker. But then the Smashing Pumpkins always sounded rather European in their dynamics and song structures to me. I saw a documentary where he jammed with Uli Jon Roth on the Scorpions' Robot Man and you could see the overawed joy on his face while Roth was genuinely pleased that the Smashing Pumpkins frontman declared him relevant.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 06:31:02 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...