Author Topic: Fishy Bird  (Read 2207 times)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
Fishy Bird
« on: September 12, 2019, 09:09:55 AM »

Interesting '90s Bird on Reverb, not sure about it, I think it's fishy aside from the incorrectly placed covers.

https://reverb.com/item/27651959-1995-gibson-thunderbird-iv-limited-edition-vintage-reissue-bass-ebony-board-w-ohc
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
Re: Fishy Bird
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 11:29:12 AM »
That is not just some checking in the finish what you see at the back of the headstock.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 01:06:22 PM »
I can sort of buy into the idea that Gibson might have made such a limited run since it did happen in the early 90's (thinking about those 3 pickup gold hardware 'birds they made with that sticker). Questions remain unanswered, why no serial nr? Why is the back finished black? Why have'nt we seen at least one more considering we've scouted the market many years by now? Also I bet those covers are aftermarket. I agree the finish crack is'nt finish alone. Rather an unattended wooden crack.

Alanko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 02:39:00 PM »
That chrome hardware looks to be in worse condition than the stuff on '60s Thunderbirds?

My inner conspiracy theorist thinks that somebody bought a new Epi Thunderbird vintage IV thingy with a cracked headstock. You can buy fake Gibson TRCs online. They used some sort of fuming technique to patina up the hardware, did their best to hide the headstock break and stuck an iffy decal on there as well.

Did Gibson use side-mounted output jacks on Tbirds in the '90s?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:12:02 PM »
IMHO it's a fake. On top of what's already been mentioned, the finish doesn't look like any 90s sunburst nitro finishes I've seen.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 10:23:56 PM »
That chrome hardware looks to be in worse condition than the stuff on '60s Thunderbirds?

It's nickel.

Did Gibson use side-mounted output jacks on Tbirds in the '90s?

Yes they did. From 1987 on.

I do agree with Dave, that the body finish looks a bit too "fresh" to me.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 08:31:48 AM »
That finish sure looks Orville/Epi Japan to me.

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 09:32:01 AM »
That finish sure looks Orville/Epi Japan to me.

To me also. If it was'nt for the laminated neck the case would have been closed IMO.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2019, 01:12:30 PM »

The neck heel is nothing like my Orville, that really looks like a Gibson body = but the finish and hardware? 
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Butcherboy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 03:45:42 PM »

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 08:59:38 AM »
Overall, things don't fit together on this bass. Like why would someone ask for the old pups, but not the old TBird look (large headstock, front mounted jack, 60ies bridge), you know how these vintage look weirdos are!  :mrgreen:

And we don't even know what's in those pup casings. It's not like they had those 60ies pups lying around in droves at Gibson. Phil Jones told me that for the blond korina one-off TBird he did for himself (now in my filthy hands), he had to go through the chore of winding pups according to 60ies specifications himself (because he didn't want TB Plus). And that was in the early 90ies.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 10:04:23 AM »
Overall, things don't fit together on this bass. Like why would someone ask for the old pups, but not the old TBird look (large headstock, front mounted jack, 60ies bridge), you know how these vintage look weirdos are!  :mrgreen:

And we don't even know what's in those pup casings. It's not like they had those 60ies pups lying around in droves at Gibson. Phil Jones told me that for the blond korina one-off TBird he did for himself (now in my filthy hands), he had to go through the chore of winding pups according to 60ies specifications himself (because he didn't want TB Plus). And that was in the early 90ies.

That bass needs repatriation  :-*

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 03:42:39 PM »
But it already is in the Reich! Closer to Francis Buchholz that is, for whom it was originally made until he lost interest in it and it became discarded until Phil picked it up to work on in his past time.

TBird1958

• View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 04:56:01 PM »
But it already is in the Reich! Closer to Francis Buchholz that is, for whom it was originally made until he lost interest in it and it became discarded until Phil picked it up to work on in his past time.

It would have looked good on Francis ( didn't you tell me he did a little time for tax evasion?), it's a shame Gibson never offered them with a bound and blocked neck like that.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2019, 03:54:58 AM »
The Scorps and their (Luxemburg?) tax office had a tax evasion investigation, but Francis didn't do time. But he got blamed by all the others as the band's de facto financial manager through the years. He is still persona non grata with them.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2019, 07:49:22 AM by uwe »