Author Topic: New two-pickup Starfire by Guild  (Read 10772 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: New two-pickup Starfire by Guild
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2015, 10:48:39 PM »
My first gigs were mid 70's (Slade, Alice, Who, SAHB, Little Feat) then it sort of exploded into too many to mention but there was only one gig that stands out head and shoulders in the disappointment stakes and that was a Tonka era UFO and a drunk Mogg - such a shame - Zep at Knebworth was shaky but still enjoyed it (excluding a broken nose from a beer can hailstorm) - Page's overproduction is not replicable on a stage...
otoh Rush, from 1st UK tour in 77 to last time I saw them in 07 were perfection, every time, and Allman Brothers Band and spin-offs (DB Gt Southern, Sea Level) were outstanding, and...
Turkeys...? well Sabb's with Gillan and Gregg/Cher were dodgy, but watchable, in a perverse sort of way... at least with the Sabb's gig I got to spend some time backstage with SRV and co which with their set was the high point of the day; that and the roadie's bar... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2015, 02:53:11 AM »
mike bloomfield

You lucky so-and-so ...... Unfortunately for me Bloomers never crossed the pond.

I did see great gigs in 60/70s Amsterdam NL. To name a few: Paul Butterfield, Sandy Denny ( Fairport & Fotheringay ), Family, Van Morrison ( & the Caladonia Soul Orchestra with David Hayes, what a great bass player ), Fleetwood Mac ( Green/Spencer/Kirwan line-up ), Poco, Flying Burrito Brothers and yes, contrary to popular belief even Janis and The Kozmic Blues Band were great ( and I got the bootleg to prove it !  ;) )
Experience is the ultimate teacher

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2015, 07:14:29 AM »
"well Sabb's with Gillan and Gregg/Cher were dodgy, but watchable ..."

Disturbing the Highlander or what?!!  :) I still rate Born Again as among Gillan's best work outside of DP. And his voice gave Sabbath more of a doomsday sound than Dio's (not knocking him, just heard the Mob Rules remaster with the companion Live at Hammersmith gig and that just knocks the "produced to death" Live Evil CD out of its proverbial heavy boots of lead, Sabbath cooks on that recording).

And your posting about Gregg Allmann and Cher induced me only recently into buying the CD (which was difficult to get, I ended up with some South American release) - it approaches easy listening most of the time, but it got bashed unjustly at the time I think. It's a white soul album essentially. But then, admittedly, I like Cher as an actress, singer and larger-than-life cosmetic product of her own making.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2015, 01:19:26 PM »
Hmmm..there was a lazer disc of that 'Doors' show at the Concertgebouw? Might like to see that except i have no access to lazer disc player. It was just Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore. Manzarek did some of the vocals, but mostly instrumentals.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2015, 02:03:41 PM »
I still rate Born Again as among Gillan's best work outside of DP...

Best work out of DP, end of story, the first "solo" LP - and thrice seeing the lineup (-Genocky) at the Marquee were the icing on the cake, and he-who-shall-not-be-named encored on Tokyo and Smoke for an Xmas gig, iirc... want to know what sad is...? I think I still have the daft "I spent Xmas with Gillan" hat and (somewhat deflated) balloon...

... just heard the Mob Rules remaster with the companion Live at Hammersmith gig and that just knocks the "produced to death" Live Evil...

Agreed... I was at the gigs... stunning... and another sad moment... I still have the tour badges...

And your posting about Gregg Allmann and Cher induced me only recently into buying the CD (which was difficult to get, I ended up with some South American release) - it approaches easy listening most of the time, but it got bashed unjustly at the time I think. It's a white soul album essentially. But then, admittedly, I like Cher as an actress, singer and larger-than-life cosmetic product of her own making.

we've discussed this before... Front row, Rainbow Theatre, skin-tight painted on black er... paint... and I'm sure part of her kept winking at me... :o
It was just all so slick - a 4 minute whipping Post, a duet of Love The One Your With, Midnight Rider... a bunch of other covers... all performed perfectly... if you check the musicians on it most of them toured with him so Cher played with Willy... and the guitarist was a member of Wet Willie... (did I get away with those...? :mrgreen:)

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Happy Face

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2015, 06:49:06 PM »
Hmmm..there was a lazer disc of that 'Doors' show at the Concertgebouw? Might like to see that except i have no access to lazer disc player. It was just Manzarek, Krieger and Densmore. Manzarek did some of the vocals, but mostly instrumentals.

Correct.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2015, 07:27:07 AM »
They have now rereleased and remastered the two Doors albums post Jim's death on CD too,

http://www.amazon.de/Other-Voices-Full-Circle-Doors/dp/B00XO2A3R6/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&qid=1439562179&sr=8-33&keywords=the+doors

never heard anything from those (they were rarely seen even in the 70ies), but ordered the rerelease under curiosity aspects.  I guess if you have Nite City CDs in your collection, there is no need to blush about these.  :mrgreen:

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2015, 08:55:02 AM »
why oh why. they are awful. :P but you probably already knew that.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2015, 12:03:52 PM »
I have a penchant for trainwreck albums! I even like Kiss' The Elder! Or Their Satanic Majesties Request. There is magic in something real bad too. Listening to Van Halen III was an experience.  8)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2015, 12:13:47 PM »
I thought all Doors albums were trainwrecks.  :P

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2015, 12:38:34 PM »
I disliked both The Doors and Jimi Hendrix fervently in the 70ies and 80ies, crap hippie music I thought, I came round with both in the 90ies. These days, I enjoy Manzarek's educated and relatively "un-rock" keyboard playing on their records. There is something European to it I like. And some of Morrison's lyrics are actually quite good poetry. Not every rock lyric has to be Foghat's Slowride!  8)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2015, 01:25:46 PM »
I have a penchant for trainwreck albums! I even like Kiss' The Elder! Or Their Satanic Majesties Request. There is magic in something real bad too. Listening to Van Halen III was an experience.  8)

Or anything by Tommy James or Yoko!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 15, 2015, 12:34:40 AM »
There is magic in something real bad too.

Well, you're in for a treat. These two albums (and I think the other doors albums sound good) only sounds uninspired at best. The elder is a masterpiece compared to other voices/full circle. They are the three point bridges of albums :)

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2015, 01:47:22 AM »
They have now rereleased and remastered the two Doors albums post Jim's death on CD too,

never heard anything from those (they were rarely seen even in the 70ies)

Not so in the Netherlands. The ( dust covered, nobody dared touch them  ;) ) albums migrated from the regular bins to the sales & cut-out bins and remained there until the shops in question went belly up. Having dredged up that memory I also am compelled to note The Mosquito was a Top 20 hit here and was played ( much to my discomfort :-[ ) on the radio to no end........ I quite got that Robbie wanted to eat his burrito but why the f*ck couldn't he eat it at home where it would've been no bother to anyone !  :o
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2015, 02:59:17 PM »
Unfortunately I remember The Mosquito being played here too.