Author Topic: surf surf surf  (Read 14143 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: surf surf surf
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2009, 06:21:06 PM »
And while I certainly wish Dick Dale well healthwise, that doesn't change the fact that his claims in the letter are just a big steaming pile of poo.

Anyone who claims he got cancer from straining and then implies that he got rid of it in 30 days with hot tea, ginseng, honey and training is a dangerous nutcase.

Blazer

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2009, 06:39:43 PM »
Where the hell do you come up with this nonsense?  >:(

The Jimi Hendrix thing came from many interview I read and seen on TV with other members of the Experience and people close to Hendrix in documentaries about Hendrix.

The thing about destroying master tapes was said on a BBC special on a guy who collected records, he stated that Master tapes were frequently erased and recorded over when it was decided that the original content was no longer needed for publishing. Maybe the use of the word "destroyed" might have been wrong here.

If those facts I picked up were wrong, feel free to correct me but no use of Wikipedia or fan sites please.
 :P

Blazer

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2009, 06:47:45 PM »
And while I certainly wish Dick Dale well healthwise, that doesn't change the fact that his claims in the letter are just a big steaming pile of poo.

Anyone who claims he got cancer from straining and then implies that he got rid of it in 30 days with hot tea, ginseng, honey and training is a dangerous nutcase.

There, finally something we agree on, judging from how my mom recovered from cancer I'd say it must have taken him at least 17 months.

Because being operated on your rectum means you're bed bound for a couple of weeks (if not months, remember, it's the sixties we're talking about and cancer wasn't as treatable as it is now) lying on your stomach only. And after that you need therapy just learning how to walk again, not to mention that such a trivial thing as going for a shit on the toilet requires assistance.

His musical career had a twenty year break, in which I assume, he would've had plenty of time to indeed recover and indulge on Ginseng tea, martial arts and Honey.

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2009, 07:31:59 PM »
Wow. Just wow.

A few apples spoil the bunch. My poor little thread that was supposed to be about surf music has turned into a damn flame war about what Hendrix may or may not have said, and about Dick Dale's rectal cancer. WTF guys, really.

You couldn't have PMed each other instead to keep your ridiculous rift raft out?

Are you real, Frank!?

Blazer

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2009, 07:53:29 PM »
I'm sorry at least I tried getting back on course by posting those clips of the ventures including one where they played with Skunk Baxter but I guess that the ship was already sinking by then.

The Fab Four surfing.

And again a couple of years later...

Their smiles say everything here, they still knew how to have fun together.

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2009, 08:08:46 PM »
Ah no worries, but that is more like it.

I never heard that Beatles song before, thats totally cool that they have that sound. Usually, whats drilled into my skull for beatles is "she loves you" and "HELP!"

I tried playing a little surf tonight but I just can't seem to get inspired. It's like all the great surf rifts were written. Player's block probably, maybe another trip to the beach is in order.
Are you real, Frank!?

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2009, 08:39:29 PM »
Wow. Just wow.

A few apples spoil the bunch. My poor little thread that was supposed to be about surf music has turned into a damn flame war about what Hendrix may or may not have said, and about Dick Dale's rectal cancer. WTF guys, really.

You couldn't have PMed each other instead to keep your ridiculous rift raft out?

Some people post to be helpful. Some other people post to impress people with what they think they know that they think other people don't know. When they're wrong, too often nobody says anything, and misinformation gets repeated.

That's not the way things work here. I'm just flat out not going to allow misinformation to be posted here and stand uncorrected. If somebody else doesn't step in and say something, I will. In public, not by PM.

I hope you understand.

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2009, 12:40:27 AM »
Check out this Surf Music vid~ it's the title track to an album:

Love that whammy bar action!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2009, 05:39:45 AM »
Maybe we could keep the Weekly World News Reseach Team on retainer to investigate any disputed claims. They have many resources that obviuosly No ONE else has access to and the stellar reputation of printing  " The truth, the whole truth and anything but the truth".
Rick

Rocker949

« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2009, 07:50:08 AM »
Even if Hendrix was aware of Dale's illness, it would make no sense for him to make the statement to only apply to Dick Dale.  It was the Beach Boys at that time that functioned as the main representative of surf music, not Dick Dale.  As has already been stated here, Hendrix knew his type of music was taking over and that other forms of music such as surf music were on their way out.  This is exactly what happened, too.  You didn't have to be a musical genius such as Hendrix to understand that.  But when he made such a statement as that, I'm sure he wasn't gloating; he was just stating a fact.  Now the psychedelic era which Hendrix was talking about is long gone, too.  But like I said in another post, now we can look at this more objectively and appreciate both surf music and acid rock.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 09:36:25 AM by Rocker949 »

Blazer

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2009, 10:01:49 AM »
But like I said in another post, now we can look at this more objectively and appreciate both surf music and acid rock.

Sure

Check out the Dano bass in this clip.

pamlicojack

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2009, 01:21:22 PM »
btw the butthole surfers are not a surf band, although that may have been an interesting concept. i thought i would beat blazer to the punch. :mrgreen:

Pinkus from the Butthole Surfers is a friend of mine and produced the last HH album back in 2007...

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2009, 02:21:42 PM »
Cool!  Ya might snicker at the name if you haven't heard them (actually the album names are better:  Rembrandt Pussyhorse... Hairway to Steven... Electriclarryland... lol), but they're an innovatibve band.

Here's a track that even has a little bit o' the surf twang to it:

This one got some airplay:

They even had a song called 'Jimi', to bring this thread full circle   ;)

Blazer

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2009, 02:38:34 PM »

I'll tell you what it is...

Rocker949

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2009, 05:49:23 PM »
Check out this Surf Music vid~ it's the title track to an album:

Love that whammy bar action!

I thought the ending was a little weak, but other than that I totally loved this song. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 08:43:12 PM by Rocker949 »