Author Topic: Attention vinyl album fans  (Read 1051 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Attention vinyl album fans
« on: February 08, 2017, 11:10:30 PM »

westen44

• View Profile
Re: Attention vinyl album fans
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 01:21:17 AM »
That is one of the most absurd ideas I have ever seen.  It is beyond ludicrous. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:32:23 AM »
I beg to differ (and I'm not joking). Edith always says "I want to end up as one of your graphite bass necks once it's over, that way you'll still touch me!" This record  thing could be an alternative. I find it somehow consoling.

But then I find the thought of ending up as fertile earth one day and nurturing plants and organisms consoling too. You know how us agnostics need/want to be GOOD FOR SOMETHING in the absence of any other reassurances.  :mrgreen:  I have never found the dead body/mortal coil of a person unsettling per se (the grief about losing her/him as a living person is another matter altogether to me), there is no corpse abhorrence within me. I saw the dead body of my mother after a long illness and it wasn't my mother to me, it was the dead body of my mother. Death and decomposition are biological processes to me, I could have easily become a pathologist.

I don't believe in the supernatural at all but if someone proved the existence of ghosts to me, I wouldn't be unsettled at all. I always find it peculiar that in popular culture ghosts are mostly viewed as threatening - most people aren't evil before they die, why should they be in an afterlife?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 07:44:45 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 11:08:02 AM »
As much as anything else, it's the idea that vinyl is so good for everything that I object to.  They just came out with the newest remastering of George Harrison's albums, only available on vinyl.  It's $450+.  I don't even have a record player.  I'd rather use that money and get an Epi Embassy Pro bass this summer.  That looks interesting, especially in dark cherry.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 11:14:01 AM by westen44 »
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 12:19:57 PM »
The graphite bass neck isn't a bad idea. Could be a little off-putting for some folks.

Having been a DJ in the era of vinyl (hearing much crackling and popping from damaged record grooves) and then having experienced the durability and portability of CDs, the re-emerging popularity of vinyl is a mystery to me.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 01:25:17 PM »
As much as anything else, it's the idea that vinyl is so good for everything that I object to.  They just came out with the newest remastering of George Harrison's albums, only available on vinyl.  It's $450+.  I don't even have a record player.  I'd rather use that money and get an Epi Embassy Pro bass this summer.  That looks interesting, especially in dark cherry.

No record player? No problem! Just look here (sorted by price high to low): http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Show-All-Turntables?sort1desc=T&sort1=Item_ONLINECUSTOMERPRICE

That $450 album doesn't look so expensive now, does it?  :mrgreen:

Seriously, it's all about your priorities. You and I wouldn't spend $450 on an album. What other people spend their money on sometimes makes me shake my head, but that's not my business.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 02:55:17 PM »
No record player? No problem! Just look here (sorted by price high to low): http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Show-All-Turntables?sort1desc=T&sort1=Item_ONLINECUSTOMERPRICE

That $450 album doesn't look so expensive now, does it?  :mrgreen:

Seriously, it's all about your priorities. You and I wouldn't spend $450 on an album. What other people spend their money on sometimes makes me shake my head, but that's not my business.

No, selling my house to buy a turntable was definitely not in my plans.   :o

--Blaise Pascal

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 03:32:44 PM »
Uwe... embedded into a lucite body... then you get the curves to handle too... not joking either...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...