Author Topic: Geddy whips them out!  (Read 5534 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Geddy whips them out!
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2015, 09:50:06 AM »
I would guess whatever agreement he had to play Fender has expired.  Maybe thhey need to put more coin in the meter.

Or maybe he never agreed to play Fenders exclusively.

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2015, 12:45:54 PM »
I would imagine payment would have arrived in the form of a royalty for units sold of his signature bass.

Blackbird

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2015, 01:50:31 PM »
He JUST came out with a USA Jazz...can't seem him cutting off the ties with Fender...unless it was a nice parting gift! 

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2015, 07:59:18 AM »
Well, he IS Geddy F'ing Lee, I guess he can do whatever he wants!  ;) He's also got a wall of faux Ampeg amps for part of the show, while being an Orange endorser.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2015, 08:02:36 AM »
Turns out the FG 4080/12 is a Dale Fortune restomod, hence the full width inlays and gold guards.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2015, 04:06:43 PM »
Forget to say... nice to see the Maytags back... :mrgreen:
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2015, 02:51:28 PM »
Seeing them tonight in San Jose!

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 07:36:29 AM »
Seeing them tonight in San Jose!

How did you like it Harry? As a fan since 1978, I thought they did a spectacular job of pleasing us. I had 3 wishes - amp stacks (real or fake), double necks, and Jacob's Ladder. And they delivered! They've even pulled out "Losing It", complete with live violin in a few cities. Class act all the way!

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 10:58:34 AM »
How did you like it Harry? As a fan since 1978, I thought they did a spectacular job of pleasing us. I had 3 wishes - amp stacks (real or fake), double necks, and Jacob's Ladder. And they delivered! They've even pulled out "Losing It", complete with live violin in a few cities. Class act all the way!
I enjoyed it! We had pretty good seats - the crowd was pretty good except a couple of people in front of us started taking cell phone videos of practically everything in the second set. Oh well, tried not to let it bother me.

SPOILER ALERT: I really kind of enjoyed the way they continually dismantled the stage throughout the show (during songs?!!), gradually moving back in time. We didn't get the Losing It. I enjoyed the way they played most of 2112, Jacob's Ladder kicked ass, going backwards from Hemispheres (Prelude?) to Cygnus X-1 was awesome! I only managed a couple of halfway decent shots - the beginning of the first set with multiple Jazz Basses got me wondering if he would whip out a Precision, and he did, a couple of times! Once during Roll the Bones:

Had to catch the doublenecks too!

My only complaint? Too loud. It seems like they're playing indoor sports arena type places, and the SAP Center in San Jose is where the Sharks play. I've heard people complain about other stops on this tour, the vocals being "shrieky" but for me the guitar was too loud and piercing. I wore earplugs for most of the first set to save myself for my favorite songs from the earlier years...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2015, 11:45:37 AM »
Seeing Pert's kit in that first pic in the OP makes me sick to me stomach (but I did stuff myself on all you can east sushi earlier so my threshold is low). 

Also interesting to see Geddy rocking a Moog Little Phatty vs any of his serious vintage stuff.   
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2015, 12:36:07 PM »
Seeing Pert's kit in that first pic in the OP makes me sick to me stomach (but I did stuff myself on all you can east sushi earlier so my threshold is low). 

Also interesting to see Geddy rocking a Moog Little Phatty vs any of his serious vintage stuff.   
He had a Yamaha X7 (I think?) for the first set, then at one point they replaced it with the Little Phatty. He's been using it for a couple of years now. At least he's using a real Moog!

What don't you like about the drum kit? The image with the star and naked guy? They had a video with the Signals Dalmatian from the Signals album cover sniffing the naked guy from the Hemispheres cover's butt!

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2015, 07:27:08 AM »
The decadence. 

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2015, 05:04:05 AM »
Neil Peart, adolescent Ayn Rand diversions of the past aside, is probably one of the most un-decadent rock musiscians ever. He's the opposite, he's utterly no frills. Rides his motorbike from gig to gig, just like that Greek finance minister of yore. Travels countries on bicycle.

Yes, his drum set is a Fortress of Solitude, but he uses it all (generally within one song too!  :mrgreen: ), it's his tool shed, he just has a very large one. And his drum solo is a blinder, a sonic and visual event, amazing technique, yet all with self-deprecating humor and a wry smile.

Be proud of your countryman for once, Jake. Even though I understand that growing up in Canada as a musician possibly overdoses you on Rush.  8) But OTOH, they are something very special, consistent success, yet untrendy at any given time, consistent line-up, yet their share of personal tragedies, and an amazing longevity: When 2112 was unceremoniously slammed by the NME in the mid-seventies, no one would have believed that Rush and their often angular music would still be able to fill large halls world-wide four decades later without a hit-song in sight.

I'm no Rush-ite, but I like them as a band possibly more than their music.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2015, 06:20:57 AM »
I don't think you understand the meaning of the word, Uwe.  Decadence is:

- a 1000 pc drum kit (his Sabian Sig Cymbal line is very nice though, if expensive.  Probably the best rock hats ever)

- riding your chopper from gig to gig while an ample crew of roadies packs up, loads, transports, unloads and sets up your aformentioned 1000 pc drum kit for you to just come up and sit behind.  They know how you like it.

- have you ever even heard him play?  Sure he has the sense to keep it tasteful a lot of the time, but when he goes, he f***ing goes; tries to fit too many of those kit pieces in to the run. Gotta justify their existence.

In closing  (though I wouldn't say he sucks, the scene is hilarious):

PS: just a reminder that both Joe Flaherty in the scene above and I are fellow Cannadians.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 06:28:57 AM by Granny Gremlin »

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2015, 06:33:26 AM »
video was great and i share your opinion on peart.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead