Author Topic: Classic songs of well known rock bands played by other well known rock bands  (Read 4546 times)

Blazer

I guess every band does it: cover a song they think is great but every so now and then they perform a cover they haven't recorded, just for the fun of it. Let's show the best examples of big rock bands playing songs of other big rock bands.

Here's Velvet Revolver saluting Pink floyd

Kiss hoping that they "Won't get fooled again"
Paul Stanley admitted that seeing The Who was his introduction on how a rock star should behave on stage. The parading on stage and the smashing of a (prop) guitar comes directly from him copying Rgoer Dalterey and Pete Townshend.

Once again Kiss fooling around on stage a bit and actually playing a George Micheal song before saluting a couple of bands that without a doubt were a far bigger influence on them.

Here's Spock's beard performing a classic by another proliffic prog rock band. Even making the same switch that the band they are saluting made of the drummer singing.

Otis Redding performing "Satisfaction" by the Rolling Stones. Keith Richards once remarked that he felt frustrated about the fact that he wasn't able to bring in a horn section to play that epic riff. Luckely, Redding understood what Richards was trying to do.

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
This one should come as no surprise.

I have a boot recording of Cheap Trick covering "Highway to Hell" that's pretty good.

The kings of cover has to be Los Lobos, though.  There's a site somewhere that has their set lists over the years. Those guys must know hundreds of songs.

Runners up on the cover thing would be Government Mule

Last is this.  I love this one.  I always said that my last band was headed in this direction.  The video isn't the greatest quality, but the band is great.  Anyone know if it was The Hooters behind her?
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile

PWV

• View Profile
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:46:02 AM by Dave W »

PWV

• View Profile
Re: Satisfaction with Horns
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 12:11:16 AM »
Not a well-known band, but it is "Satisfaction" with horns - and damn, Ann Margret is fine!

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Early WHITESNAKE doin' the Beatles Day Tripper:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=ub8rPHBXd20

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
Black Sabbath did "Smoke on the Water" when Ian Gillan was with them.  For those who don't know, Bev Bevan (ELO) was the drummer for that tour.  He was Geezer's neighbor.  I interviewed Gillan on that tour, and he joked that they had talked about doing "Telephone Line" for an encore.

Uwe's EDIT: They actually did rehearse Evil Woman (the ELO, not the Sabbath track from the 1st album), but then didn't have the guts to play it. "Born again" is an underrated classic.

There's no video out there, but Hunter/Ronson did one of the coolest versions of "Day Tripper" ever.  It was a little slower, and very slinky.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 04:01:49 AM by uwe »

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
I had to add this one.  I've never heard it until now, but it's infamous on the net.  Gotta love Frank.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Metallica doing Thin Lizzy doing a version of a poem.

There's Whisky In The Jar. From John Ord's Bothy Songs and Ballads of Aberdeen, published in 1932. (date is a bit of a guess)

« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 12:16:55 AM by old puppy »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
The Zoot : 'Eleanor Rigby

Zoot had Beep Birtles on bass, later of the Little River Band.
and Rick Springfield (Jesse's Girl fame) on guitar.
I guess they are probably only well known in Oz but its a good classic rock kinda version IMHO

Digresion our specialty!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com

Always fun one for us to play.....Here's Poison (yeah!) covering The Romantics "What I like about you"

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
I always loved what the Dolls did to Stranded in the Jungle,

which was a fifties hits by The Cadets (even though Screaming Jay Hawkins sang the original I think):

A song that simply demands to be covered by The Nästy Häbits I believe.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Bad Brains did a reggae medley of ""Daytripper" and the Rolling Stones "she's a rainbow" back in the 80's
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Blazer, you always come up with nice ideas!