Author Topic: Detroit vs Nickleback  (Read 3701 times)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: Detroit vs Nickleback
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 10:35:19 AM »
I have to come up to the defense of these Cannucks (aren't they?). Nickelbag are at the same time monstrously popular and abysmally uncool - I can forgive them (and large parts of the American public) their popularity, but their uncoolness has me up in arms for them. Statements such as  "the formulaic, faux rock n’ roll band" is the exact same thing levied at past "boogie down"-bands such as Grand Funk, Foghat, Status Quo etc. Yet all of them played a type of testosterone-charged, slightly simple-minded, but charming music that goes well with that game called American Football which - this will endear me to my yankee friends here forever - is just that: testosterone-charged, slightly simple-minded, but charming!

In that way, Nickelbag are a great fit. The only viable argument is that they are not from Detroit which is a bit sad given the city's legacy of Mitch Ryder, Bob Seger, Alice Cooper, Glenn Frey and, yes, even Ted Nugent before he became a political imbecile.

For the life of me I cannot discern what is supposed to be "un-football" (or, for the sake of argument, "un-soccer") about a stadium anthem such as this:

Come to think of it I can hardly think of a more fitting music to be played at halftime, these guys epitomize modern stadium rock - for once, Dave's term is apt - in the same way the Foo Fighters do (which I think overrated as well). Or would those anemic musical athletes from The Strokes or Vampire Weekend have been more appropriate?  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: (I have their CDs too, The Strokes are critically just as overrated as Nickelbag are unjustly popular with the beer-drinking and football-loving masses, Vampire Weekend are clever fun though, bit like a pop version of Cake.)

For the avoidance of doubt: I have only two Nickelbag CDs in my collection. I buy them with the same scientific curiosity I buy U2 CDs: To analyze why they are so goddamned popular and reassure myself of my dissenting minority taste.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 11:04:20 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 11:40:02 AM »
I have been trying to figure out what the deal is....

They just don't like the band?  Is that all that's going on???

Get OUTA here......what a waste of energy.  :rolleyes:
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 01:53:23 PM »
Wow that track was bad... I had to listen to this just to get the taste out of my mouth!

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 03:33:49 PM »

Ahhhh The Nuge.....................A heaping helping of bombast in A please  ;)
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 04:02:27 PM »
He invented that key!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
I don't know Nickelback from Adam as far as their music, but they are still pretty popular, aren't they? Current popularity is probably what drove the decision. Many of those Detroit legacy acts, no matter how much better, aren't anywhere near as big as they once were.

Think of all the Superbowl halftime acts you've seen. Were any from the city where the game was being held? I don't think so.

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 01:34:16 AM »
I have to come up to the defense of these Cannucks (aren't they?). Nickelbag are at the same time monstrously popular and abysmally uncool - I can forgive them (and large parts of the American public) their popularity, but their uncoolness has me up in arms for them.

Nickelback lacks  any of the legitimacy and soul, however diluted, of past eras' stadium rockers. If I were Detroit, they would be the LAST band I would wish to have associated with a resurrecting football program and city.  I think so many people find them offensive because they are so obviously packaged and contrived as not being packaged and contrived. Uwe, you're the first person I've ever seen with any knowledge of the band that doesn't feel that they're no more a legitimate reflection of US garage rock than Britney Spears is a dance pop innovator. It's rehashed formulaic pablum that may have all of the musical elements but none of the motivation of good rock and roll. I don't even believe them when they sing about wanting to get laid. ... but my Detroit band of choice is the MC5.

Come to think of it I can hardly think of a more fitting music to be played at halftime, these guys epitomize modern stadium rock - for once, Dave's term is apt - in the same way the Foo Fighters do (which I think overrated as well).

Nickelback is not even in the same league as the Foo Fighters. They've never captured their power as a group well on record, but live there is absolutely no contest. Dave Grohl is one badass mofo and he put together a great band. I've alway considered the Foo's as his apology for Nirvana.  :mrgreen:

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2011, 05:25:58 AM »
Ain't too much of MC5 left around town :sad:. Ain't too many Nickleback fans here either. At least we're not booking the Black Eyed Peas.
Rick

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2011, 07:05:15 AM »
Howsabout a Grammy-nominated band named after a quote from Nuge's Double Live Gonzo?

They're got a song called "Johnny Hotrod" but I couldn't find it on youtube.

FWIW Uwe, I consider them to be the anti-Nickelback.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 12:48:47 PM »
I say Tony Bennett.  Great family entertainment...and no danger of wardrobe malfunctions.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 03:21:24 PM »
imo rock and roll is not meant to be family fun if your doing it right.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Aussie Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 03:22:46 PM »
Ain't too many Nickleback fans here either.

They caught my interest for 5 minutes when I heard that song on the radio that begins with the line "I like your pants around your ankles", but really they are an abysmal band.
Cheers
Mark
http://rollingstoned.com.au - The Australian Rolling Stones Show
http://thevolts.com.au - The Volts
http://doorsalive.com.au - Doors Alive

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 05:34:23 AM »
imo rock and roll is not meant to be family fun if your doing it right.

Yeah , that's how it used to be. I'm not so sure it still holds true. You have to remember how old we are and our influence on the following generation. I miss the old days when rock and blues players were accused of playing the devils music :sad:. They were just playing good ole rock and blues tunes, and done right, it was definately not what you would call family fun. Nowdays you actually DO have bands playing genuine satanic worship music and the fan base covers a couple of generations. I'm confused ???.
Rick

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 06:35:38 AM »
They caught my interest for 5 minutes when I heard that song on the radio that begins with the line "I like your pants around your ankles", but really they are an abysmal band.

Must be this one, totally inane lyrics:

In competiton with this one for most cretin-like sexist lyrics:

Nothing wrong with sexist lyrics, but do them with a little style, please.

The venom against Niceklbag surprises me. Their music isn't any less well-made than a hundred other popular bands, it's not original, no, but then who is that sells out stadiums? The production of their albums is ace and Herr Kroeger's voice, OTT rough as it is, makes them immediately recognizable. They are to the the original grunge scene what Bon Jovi is to Bruce Springsteen IMHO. Or what Kiss is to Led Zeppelin. Call that sell-out or "commercial reception", it happens in rock with (once) new trends all the time.