Author Topic: Joplin, Mo  (Read 2640 times)

Barklessdog

• View Profile
Re: Joplin, Mo
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2011, 04:36:59 AM »
Prayers & vibes sent.

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2011, 10:01:28 AM »
just for those curious, Google Earth at 2798 McClelland Blvd, Joplin, MO 64804 should show you what St John's Medical Center used to look like. Mc Clelland turns into Maiden Lane as one goes North from the hospital complex. Freeman hospital is at 32nd and Mc Clelland, East about three blocks on 32nd, in order to see how close it is to St. John's.

20th and Indiana is where the high school is and what it used to look like.

the school is up to 20th street, with your Google Earth North at the top of the page, then to the right (East) past main street. Indiana (runs N and S) has a small jog just south of 20th (looking at it from the air) and has three baseball diamonds visable. one across the street to the Northwest and two on campus. Franklin Tech is the long building to the left across the street looking at the school from above.

farther to the East follow 20th to Rangline and there is where Home Depot was and the Walmart super center that got wiped. the total diatance from Mc Clelland to Rangeline is about 4-5 miles, it was a totally populated area.

*goggle earth is a free install at this addy. i have had no problems with it the three years i have had it installed on XP Pro. please backup your files before using to be safe.

http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 10:08:55 AM by sniper »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2011, 03:26:03 PM »
Thanks all.

A prose I composed and sent to the editor of the Joplin Globe dedicated to the people of Joplin.

Dine With Me

Come dine with me, tell of yourselves so we may toast and talk of friendships and the hero's, lovers and drunkards we have been.

Spill your sorrow upon the table that we may drown them with glories and never have to unsheathe our reverend swords again, whilst hearts rest till the late morn.

The remembrance is always within and there abides the gallant we knew, the best of us echoing.

The light will bring to life and what is left will be magnanimity chosen.

Dedicated to the people of Joplin, MO, May 24th, 2011.

My home town since 1964 and graduate of JHS 1967.

Copyright C W Andrews,
Pecos, Texas, 2011

I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 03:50:24 PM »
Truly horrible. Hope those who were safe stay safe.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 04:31:16 PM »
Sniper, events like this bring us all together and remind us of our shared humanity.  Thanks for your posts, and I'm delighted your family members are OK.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2011, 02:38:36 PM »
I got word of a second cousin of mine who lives in Joplin. She was in a meeting at her church with three or four others when it hit. They all huddled on the floor of a bathroom while the rest of the building was completely destroyed around them and ended up climbing out of the rubble; shocked but no worse for wear. After seeing pictures of the aftermath I'm amazed that so many people found safety through the storm.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2011, 02:54:06 PM »
I saw an interview with a family and how they watched as their dog got sucked out the window, miraculously the dog lived. Another man interviewed spoke how he was holding on to his wife's hand, but she was sucked away.

Truly horrible experiences, my heart goes out to all those people.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2011, 09:50:02 AM »
Getting to be a stranger & stranger world we live in.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-mass-tornado-dupe,0,3484975.story

gweimer

• View Profile
    • My BandMix Site
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2011, 01:13:20 PM »
The weather has been unusually polarizing. It's been in the 90's here in Ohio, and I know it's been in the 40's up north of Illinois.  The conditions are ripe for all this storm activity.
Telling tales of drunkenness and cruelty

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2011, 07:07:38 PM »
Has anyone else read about the kevlar storm shelters that are being sold?  4X4 to 12X12 emergency box that is bolted to the slab - I read an article about one homeowner that had one and used it - the house was flattened but she was safe and sound.  Seems like the small one was $2K installed.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2011, 01:18:34 PM »
Thoughts sent from the UK
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Chaser001

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2011, 01:25:24 PM »
Has anyone else read about the kevlar storm shelters that are being sold?  4X4 to 12X12 emergency box that is bolted to the slab - I read an article about one homeowner that had one and used it - the house was flattened but she was safe and sound.  Seems like the small one was $2K installed.

I think they are $5,000.  Not sure, though. 

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2011, 04:21:58 PM »
I think they are $5,000.  Not sure, though. 

Still, would be worth having.  If I built a new house in tornado alley I would absolutely spend the cash to build a hardened safe room, typcially a closet, for sure.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2011, 05:29:33 AM »
People built "storm cellars" for a reason on farms. Who would have though Massachusetts would get a violent tornado?