Author Topic: we grow'em in West Texas, desert gator?  (Read 1667 times)

nofi

• View Profile
Re: we grow'em in West Texas, desert gator?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 12:40:10 PM »
i hate any kind of hunting no matter how it's worded. period. i think we could use more people management than animal. and please don't call hunting a sport. it is not a sport when you wait in a tree stand or a blind and wait for the critter to walk up to you. the 'sport' part may happen when rhe shooter is forced to track down an animal he has only wounded with a lousy shot.

i suggest hunting grizzly bear with a knife.  now that would be sporting and something to put on you tube!

i dislike hunting but i like to shoot. we own six rifles ranging from a .223 up to a .45/70 'buffalo gun'.
also a few single action revolvers. (cowboy guns). isn't a liberal with guns supposed to be somehow illegal? ;)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:41:34 PM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »
I don't mind killing something I eat (but I like to do it swiftly), but I always feel bad when predators are being shot. In their natural habitat, predators will not pose a threat to wildlife. I always have the feeling that hunters shoot predators for the trophy or to exterminate competition. No one has yet made a convincing case that in Germany wolves, bears, badgers, foxes and lynxes ever posed a threat to wildlife or to man (unless under the most unlucky circumstances and you can always single that one "maneater" out). Livestock is insured.

Now if that alligator posed a threat to people, then it's ok to bring him/her to the refuge, so much the better if he/she has a good life there. I like alligators, archaic beauties they are.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 01:12:55 PM »
I'm sure we've discussed some of this before... any other toxopholists out there...? I still have my (take-down) bow but haven't shot for about a decade post a shoulder injury... Anyone (willing to stand up and be counted) "sport" hunters or "food" hunters out there...? can't condone the former but that's your choice, but food hunters I accept as part of what we are...

I could never condone the deliberate infliction of unecessary pain or the use of dogs for "worrying" an animal...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 01:16:37 PM »

Now if that alligator posed a threat to people, then it's ok to bring him/her to the refuge, so much the better if he/she has a good life there. I like alligators, archaic beauties they are.

curmudgeon that i am and speaking only for myself, i can relate.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW