Author Topic: we grow'em in West Texas, desert gator?  (Read 1668 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
we grow'em in West Texas, desert gator?
« on: September 22, 2010, 09:42:38 PM »
yesterday Sept 21st a 500 pound wild alligator made the news last night and was found living in a creek on a ranch South of Odessa Texas. a gator expert was called in and captured the gator with the help of the Sheriff's department. the gator is to be shipped to East Texas to a refuge.

http://www.oaoa.com/articles/alligator-52712-scarce-great.html

http://www.kwes.com/Global/story.asp?S=13192615&clienttype=printable

who da thunk...gators in the Permian Basin?

big sum bit too!

if i had found him:

1) i would have insured his peace of mind with a 158 grain jacketed intracranial lead injection

2) his new home would be in my freezer

and

3) i would have been looking for a boot maker today while i was in Midland.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 11:56:42 PM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Re: we grow'em in West Texas, desert gator?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 04:03:00 AM »
What was wrong with letting him live in that creek if he was minding his business and then and now devouring some livestock? Alligators are sparse and economic eaters.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Garrett

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 04:40:03 AM »
 ;D that will make ya think twice before ya go jumpin in a pond down there to cool off in.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 05:43:43 AM »
some people just like to shoot stuff. i don't understand it. :sad:
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 05:50:37 AM »
What was wrong with letting him live in that creek if he was minding his business and then and now devouring some livestock? Alligators are sparse and economic eaters.

Its big & cool therefore we must kill it!

It is a problem with wild hogs though- hogzilla

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 05:55:05 AM »
In my neighborhood in Bryan TX (area population = 130,000+) they trapped a 300+ pound wild boar.  That climate is favorable to many critters growing too big for public safety.   Not everything needs to be shot, but a 500-pound gator doesn't need to be out where it can prey on farm animals and distracted ranchers.

There are times when you can't move 'em or there's no place to put 'em, and then the outcome is more permanent.  The gator was lucky there was a refuge that stepped up to take him..
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 07:40:02 AM »

Its big & cool therefore we must kill it!

It is a problem with wild hogs though- hogzilla

"Hogzilla" was a farm raised pet.
http://www.stinkyjournalism.org/latest-journalism-news-updates-129.php

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:32:52 AM by dadagoboi »

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 07:48:16 AM »
i originally thought this incident happened the day it hit the news. it actually happened over a month ago. the farmer was protecting the gator from the public. the problem was the animal was getting too close to the farm and too familiar with humans...losing its fear of humans which was inviting a future tradgedy.

the gator expert said it probably had a diet of mainly duck and wild pig.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 08:36:13 AM »
i originally thought this incident happened the day it hit the news. it actually happened over a month ago. the farmer was protecting the gator from the public. the problem was the animal was getting too close to the farm and too familiar with humans...losing its fear of humans which was inviting a future tradgedy.

the gator expert said it probably had a diet of mainly duck and wild pig.

Thanks for clearing that up, Bill.

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 09:44:04 AM »
P.S.

the gator expert actually owns the East Texas refuge and it is a true refuge and not a "farm" where gators are harvested. old knobby will live out his (her?) days in a blissfull gator social environment being well fed, protected. being viewed by the right of paid admissioin to the general public is the gators new job.

as a personal note, i was taught to hunt (i do not own any weapons now) by my grandfather who also taught me not to kill unless attacked and to eat what i do kill (humans and rattlesnakes excepted). rattlesnake tastes good and i have never killed anyone. so far. although my ex's new hubby is high on my do not like list, i really think they deserve one another and i wish them both along with her vocal chords and his hearing a long and healthy life.

Barklessdog

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 11:14:09 AM »
Nothing wrong with managed hunting as it usually pays for sustaining wildlife & parks. I have a friend who bow hunts.

What ticks me off is when people build houses near or on wildlife areas then want to kill the natural wildlife (coyotes) because they are infringing on them.

By me we had a group of coyotes that killed someone's dog (they let it out at night off its leash). The coyotes kept the rabbit population in check. After they killed the coyotes, our rabbit population skyrocketed. The other morning I saw two large coyotes wandering down our street & people yards. I'm sure I would feel different if it were my dogs.

When I get home from work I spot a blue heron in our back yard. By the time I made it to the kitchen the heron had a large Koi in his beak and just took off with it. I don't mind (my wife does though).

We also have nesting great horned owls in our area. I heard a neighbor already complaining about being worried for his dog.

« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 11:23:20 AM by Barklessdog »

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 11:18:57 AM »
Nothing wrong with managed hunting as it usually pays for sustaining wildlife & parks. I have a friend who bow hunts.

Let me guess............

First name, Ted.

Last name, Nugent.

BTW I'm a big fan of responsible hunting. My father did it quite often.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 11:21:42 AM »
In my neighborhood in Bryan TX (area population = 130,000+) they trapped a 300+ pound wild boar.  

That was no boar, it was an Aggie lineman.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 11:23:43 AM »
Now that would be something I'd pay to see... you, in full (Nasty Habits "Camo" to go with the green basses) gear, with a compound... just not aimed in my direction, and preferably not live targets... ;D
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

sniper

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 12:23:22 PM »
Now that would be something I'd pay to see... you, in full (Nasty Habits "Camo" to go with the green basses) gear, with a compound... just not aimed in my direction, and preferably not live targets... ;D

i was having supper with a good friend of mine who happens to be a full blodded souix indian. i looked at John and then i said to his son, "i am glad you didnt have compund bows a 100 years ago". his son ask why and i told him "well, if you did then i would be living in the country of Manhatten as we bought that land with 24$ worth of beads."