Author Topic: Tex-Mex Meatloaf  (Read 1705 times)

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Tex-Mex Meatloaf
« on: September 03, 2010, 12:53:21 AM »
Jalapeno Meatloaf

This is a quick recipe and is simple to make. Combine all the ingredients and bake in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 1 to 1.25 hours. I use a square deep dish Corning bake ware bowl and spray the bottom and sides with a nonstick spraying oil before loading the baking dish. I then cover the dish with foil as tight as I can get it around the top but it will not be too tight and let some of the moisture evaporate while protecting the meatloaf. I let the bake dish settle in the hot oven for a 1/2 hour after turning off the oven.

The recipe can vary and I will tell you where.

1 pound of lean ground meat, I prefer ground chuck but a good quality of ground meat will do.

½ packet of a good taco seasoning that calls for a pound of meat if one were going to make tacos. I use Taco Bell or McCormick’s seasoning.

½ cup of celery chopped medium

½ cup of onions

1 medium can of tomato sauce or 1 small can of tomato soup or 1 cup of salsa. One can use 1 can of Rotel and leave out the Jalapenos mentioned below.

1/2  tblsp Cilantro. If you use salsa then it is not necessary to use Cilantro (Coriander).

4-5 slices of Tapioca bread processed in a food processer to make bread crumbs. My g/f is not receptive to gluten so you may use crackers or oatmeal if you don’t have a gluten problem. 4-5 slices of hard bread like Tapioca bread will make about 1.5 to 2 cups of crumbs.

2 large eggs

1 large green bell pepper chopped

¼ cup of chopped Jalapenos. If one is not used to the heat of the Jalapenos then you might try Merrzeta tamed Jalapenos. I use about
1/8th cup of the juice out of the jar into the mixture. You might lay off the juice unless you really like it spicy.

I mash all of the ingredients by hand squishing it between my fingers till thoroughly mixed in a stainless mixing bowl then plop it in the bake dish. If the mixture looks too dry you may moisten it a little and remix it till it feels right. You be the judge on that. Too dry add a little sauce, too wet add a little more crumbs.

I mash it level in the baking dish, make a slight depression in the top and dress the top of the loaf with either ketchup or Heinz 57 sauce prior to baking. I sprinkle a little Coriander (Cilantro) on the top sometimes (optional) after it cools and serve.

One could use salsa for this purpose if you choose to do so.

Leftover meat crumbled and warmed makes fine tacos or burritos. It also freezes well.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 01:15:06 AM by sniper dog »
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
Re: Tex-Mex Meatloaf
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 01:14:06 AM »
Serving suggestion: I serve it on the side of the plate with a dollop of sour cream and a dollop of guacamole in the center of the plate. Refried beans (cheap recipe = 1 can of cheap seasoned chili beans run through a blender and then fried in a med hot pan with a light coating of olive oil, and some Spanish rice.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

luve2fli

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 06:57:31 AM »
That sounds yummy - might take a crack at it this w/end ...... thanks!
"I think it's only proper that I play until the last note of a set, then fall over and die. The band won't have to play an encore and they'll still get paid for the gig" (Dr. John)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
Meatloaf
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2010, 08:19:41 AM »
His daughter ain't bad either:

I rember that bearded baldie on the right to once have suffered from a painful throat disease ...
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2010, 08:53:11 AM »
That voice is more than a little Joplinesque!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 10:17:01 AM »
Very, but is that a bad thing? it was about time some chick did not sing like Alannis M.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »
Heck... why not support one of our own when it comes to Joplinesque...

The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »
Very, but is that a bad thing? it was about time some chick did not sing like Alannis M.

Oh, it wasn't meant as criticism - I LIKED it!  I agree with you.  Enough of the Mariah Carey senseless and endless warbling - hit the damn note and sing it.  We need more Koko Taylor, less warble.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2010, 11:25:16 AM »
Haha thanx Kenny.

we actually did a very similar version of Nutbush City Limits on our very first demo. Almost ten years ago now.

BTW. Not every woman that sings the blues is a Janis Joplin clone. Some girls try very hard to sound like Janis. But some just have a gritty voice. And that's where the comparison stops.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2010, 12:14:48 PM »

BTW. Not every woman that sings the blues is a Janis Joplin clone. Some girls try very hard to sound like Janis. But some just have a gritty voice. And that's where the comparison stops.

Agreed, and fine with me.