Author Topic: Gibson Nonreverese reissuie a reality  (Read 67610 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Gibson Nonreverese reissuie a reality
« Reply #225 on: December 02, 2012, 10:40:56 AM »
no, the new LP Jr shaped model.  I got the models confused!   :P

Not as confused as the Gibson designers who came up with it.

The naming of the EB line was always unfortunate and logic-defying.

They wanted to name it "lame attempt to design something sort of like the original doublecut Junior EB-0" but wisely decided on EB-11 instead.  :P

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 02, 2012, 11:26:52 AM »
The grain didn't show through on the NR RI I saw a couple weeks ago at the HOG.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

the mojo hobo

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 02, 2012, 01:00:09 PM »
It does on mine, but I hadn't noticed it until reading about it in this thread, so I looked for it and found it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #228 on: December 02, 2012, 02:34:08 PM »
  Even the Firebirds have this it is not bass specific just see,s to be their finishing process. Doesn't bother me any. I will say that there is none of that in My Cataldo NRs finish  ;D
It does on mine, but I hadn't noticed it until reading about it in this thread, so I looked for it and found it.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #229 on: December 03, 2012, 09:21:54 AM »
I thought you Gibson guys liked seeing the mahogany grain through the finish....?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 03, 2012, 09:28:06 AM »
I thought you Gibson guys liked seeing the mahogany grain through the finish....?

Some do. I doubt if most do, especially on a more expensive guitar or bass. Gibson has filled the grain even on its less expensive models until a few years ago. As a sometimes woodworker, I don't mind it, but it goes against tradition in guitar building. 

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2012, 09:53:00 AM »
Some do. I doubt if most do, especially on a more expensive guitar or bass. Gibson has filled the grain even on its less expensive models until a few years ago. As a sometimes woodworker, I don't mind it, but it goes against tradition in guitar building. 

I agree with Dave.  I don't mind seeing the grain, in fact the grain on my NR is beautiful.  But seeing the finish falling into the grain and being able to feel it is another story.  On my NR burst, they did a really nice job filling and finishing.  Nothing like the blue one above.

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #232 on: December 03, 2012, 10:15:03 AM »
They wanted to name it "lame attempt to design something sort of like the original doublecut Junior EB-0" but wisely decided on EB-11 instead.  :P

Man, I stop paying attention for a few years, and tie up my disposable income in a mortgage and fathering a kid, and THAT's when Gibson decideds to put out/reissue all the basses we've been lusting for for years (this, the EB2 reissue and the NR TB).  Please at least tell me it was long scale (not really a fan of Pelham Ble and it having a bridge pup).

Sorry still catching up here.

Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 03, 2012, 01:36:52 PM »
Man, I stop paying attention for a few years, and tie up my disposable income in a mortgage and fathering a kid, and THAT's when Gibson decideds to put out/reissue all the basses we've been lusting for for years (this, the EB2 reissue and the NR TB).  Please at least tell me it was long scale (not really a fan of Pelham Ble and it having a bridge pup).

Sorry still catching up here.

Yep, both are 34" scale.

stiles72

• View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 03, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »
I agree with Dave.  I don't mind seeing the grain, in fact the grain on my NR is beautiful.  But seeing the finish falling into the grain and being able to feel it is another story.  On my NR burst, they did a really nice job filling and finishing.  Nothing like the blue one above.

+1   I don't mind seeing the grain, but don't think I'd want to feel the texture of it

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #235 on: December 03, 2012, 04:32:04 PM »
+1   I don't mind seeing the grain, but don't think I'd want to feel the texture of it

If you can see the wood grain under a solid or metallic color, you can feel it.  Different story with stain, clear or clear over stain finishes.

IMO, Gibson should be able to fill grain on any instrument with less than an hour of labor per unit and very little material expense in an industrial setting.  Of course it takes the right equipment and properly trained labor.

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #236 on: December 03, 2012, 05:23:15 PM »

I didn't think I'd like the thin non gloss that's on Uwe's new G-3, but really, it's quite nice.   
Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 03, 2012, 08:25:34 PM »
If you can see the wood grain under a solid or metallic color, you can feel it.  Different story with stain, clear or clear over stain finishes.

IMO, Gibson should be able to fill grain on any instrument with less than an hour of labor per unit and very little material expense in an industrial setting.  Of course it takes the right equipment and properly trained labor.

I can accept this on my solid finish Melody Maker. The original was a sunburst with filled grain but in 2012 dollars it would be almost twice as expensive as the current model. An hours' worth of labor to fill and a multi-step lacquer process would really up the street price.

I don't see this being acceptable on $1000+ instruments.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2012, 08:28:30 PM »
+1

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2012, 04:45:08 AM »
I like to see (and feel) the grain and I think it's in line with an overall design tendency in the last 20 years or so not to hide the natural surface structure of something anymore. It's strictly cosmetic too, doesn't make the bass sound any better (some would say worse!  :-X ) or more durable. A bass is essentially a piece of wood (or several), I don't mind that you can still feel and see that (I know: "Buy a Wishbass then instead!" ;) ) as long as I don't draw a splinter from it.

The mind (my mind at least) is a funny thing. When I held my first Gibson TBird in hand in 1998, I was horrified at the wavy kitchen brush paint job with dents in the wood and all. These days I like that and rate high gloss ultra-even finishes as cheap along the lines of "what are they hiding underneath it?".

But then what do I know? I also like the carved look of my LP BFG which, interestingly, always attracts attention from non-guitar- and non-bass-players alike who marvel at the rugged surface ("Is that crocodile?").
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...