Author Topic: New Fender Jaguar Players bass  (Read 9674 times)

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: New Fender Jaguar Players bass
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 02:20:46 PM »
 That is a nice score ! I am more than pleased with my Squier VM Tele bass so much better than my '79 Tele it's not funny. Squier gets a big thumbs up from me.  :thumbsup:
And the Squier Vintage Modified Jag in short scale with P/J pickups is $169...and I bought it on a 15% off sale...for $144.  SCORE!

This stock photo is identical to mine....

Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 03:40:18 PM »
I have that Squier VM Jag, and the Bronco with the Gretsch 2202 pickup I have posted in other threads.  Both of them are very darn nice instruments, I like the satin-finish necks, and I have no complaints with either one. They're fully gig-worthy.

I was going to resist the Jag, but when I found it at my favorite mom-and-pop store at $169 with a 15% Labor Day sale, I just couldn't resist.  Best bass around for a c-buck-anna-half.  The black headstock really does it for me, too.  I have Labella Deep Talkin' flats on it.

And if I ever find a black pearloid pickguard for it, I'll probably grab it.

Hmmm...I see that Jeannie Pickguards sells them on Ebay under the seller name fxguitarman1.  They get $56.95 for one, and they say the PG's are somewhat irregular and suggest you send in your guard so they can match it.

I just might do that.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:50:49 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 04:10:11 PM »
Pretty sure it is a J contour neck, of course that can vary widely.

The Japanese Jag Bass has a flattened oval profile that's just too wide and boxy. Even if it doesn't have a P-width, it feels even wider, and this is coming from someone who loves his Les Paul Bass neck. The Squier necks are much better feeling, but also much lower quality. Where's the new one made?

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 06:36:29 PM »
 I guessing MIM. I like the MIJ Jag neck feels much like a 70's J.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2011, 10:10:36 PM »
...not to me. Maybe it's just a shallow U shape.  I like 70's, especially late 70's, Jazz Bass necks I simply cannot find a way to like the MIJ Jaguar neck, and normally I'm not all that picky about necks at all. It's for the best anyway. As much as I love the look, switches and all, of the MIJ Jag, the neck and generic Jazz sound ensure I won't ever get in trouble with the wife for buying one. The P/J passives on the Squiers sound pretty good, but still very much 'entry level' (crap wood and cheap pickups) and the active humbucker long scale Squier really is a poor man's Stingray, but I have a REAL Stingray that blows those away with ease.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2011, 02:16:43 PM »
Just found out they are made in China, order canceled.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2011, 04:00:11 PM »
Just found out they are made in China, order canceled.

If they were smart they got the SX factory to make them!

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2011, 04:02:26 PM »
$399 MAP is pretty steep for a Chinese Fender, and about 3x what you'd pay for the SX.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »
$399 MAP is pretty steep for a Chinese Fender, and about 3x what you'd pay for the SX.

Is that the first Chinese 'Fender' as opposed to a Squier?  Will be interesting to see how it sells.  If it IS made by SX it's a good bass.  Labor costs in South China are sky high the last two years, I'm surprised Rondo has been able to hold their prices.  Street price on Chinese Epi Pro TBird IV is $499.  Judging by that, the price for the Jag is a little high.

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2011, 04:58:45 PM »
I have that Squier VM Jag, and the Bronco with the Gretsch 2202 pickup I have posted in other threads.  Both of them are very darn nice instruments, I like the satin-finish necks, and I have no complaints with either one. They're fully gig-worthy.

I was going to resist the Jag, but when I found it at my favorite mom-and-pop store at $169 with a 15% Labor Day sale, I just couldn't resist.  Best bass around for a c-buck-anna-half.  The black headstock really does it for me, too.  I have Labella Deep Talkin' flats on it.

And if I ever find a black pearloid pickguard for it, I'll probably grab it.

Hmmm...I see that Jeannie Pickguards sells them on Ebay under the seller name fxguitarman1.  They get $56.95 for one, and they say the PG's are somewhat irregular and suggest you send in your guard so they can match it.

I just might do that.

+1 on the quality of the Indonesian VM Jags. The only thing I did to the neck on mine was hit it with a green Scotch-brite pad and some carnuba wax - it feels great under the left hand. I found this nice HB special in Ohio through E-bay, sent it along with a pair of '63 Thunderbuckers to JohnK and had him place the pickups per Carlos' measurements from one of his 'birds. John made the PG from Allparts' version of (regular vs. dark) black pearl. I think of it as the "ThunderJag"...

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2011, 07:50:23 PM »
That is VERY pretty!!!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2011, 05:16:43 AM »
If they were smart they got the SX factory to make them!

I have a SX '75 SJB that just kills great bass. I canceled because I don't need another cheap MIC bass.

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2011, 08:39:57 AM »
+1 on the quality of the Indonesian VM Jags. The only thing I did to the neck on mine was hit it with a green Scotch-brite pad and some carnuba wax - it feels great under the left hand. I found this nice HB special in Ohio through E-bay, sent it along with a pair of '63 Thunderbuckers to JohnK and had him place the pickups per Carlos' measurements from one of his 'birds. John made the PG from Allparts' version of (regular vs. dark) black pearl. I think of it as the "ThunderJag"...

very nice.  how does it sound??
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

Spiritbass

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »
Thanks for the compliments.  :)   It's always hard to visualize the end result of a special project - this one exceeded my expectations (thanks to Carlos, Steve, and John). It sounds fairly Thunderbirdish considering the neck is bolted on. These clips were recorded with no tone cut (passive v/v/t - it now has a Redeemer Circuit on board) and Smith Rockmasters (steel RW) through a Cafe Walter into a Zoom recorder:

ThunderJag clips by spiritbass on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:47:21 AM by Spiritbass »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »
Nice... +1 on the look... 8)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...