Author Topic: NBD Vintage modified precision (Tele bass with Humbucker)  (Read 9653 times)

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
Re: NBD Vintage modified precision (Tele bass with Humbucker)
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 05:01:42 AM »
i love these and want one. i was gonna add a T-40 pup i have kicking around in the bridge position.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2011, 08:51:53 AM »
 A T-40 pup by the bridge would be very cool !
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2011, 09:36:11 AM »
 The more I play this thing the more I like it, great neck. I am stunned really, I was not expecting this much bass for 299.00 and they really got it right very close to the original. It plays much better than any original I ever had in my hands. Nice flat radius on the neck, great for bending strings : ) I might put some 70's Fender tuners on it, no need to really the thing is fine right out of the box. The bass is substantial you know you have something in your hands, but it isn't to heavy.  Sure a vintage one would be cool but from a players stand point I think I like this better than a real one.  Now dubbed  Woolly Mammoth.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2011, 10:30:51 AM »
She's got a great neck, plays like butter stringed with a Heavy Medium set. It's one of the 3 long scales I intend to keep as long as my left hand will allow ..... Even modded the modified ...  ;D

Hey Droombo, did you place the second P.U. in P position? How does it sound with the second P.U. soloed?

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2011, 06:00:06 AM »
did you place the second P.U. in P position? How does it sound with the second P.U. soloed?

Hi Jesper,

No it's not in the P-spot, it's some 3,5 cm closer to the bridge. Solo'ed it sounds like a P with the hand brake on, a kinda 2 dimensional sound. If you mix in the neck-PUP though she really comes alive with a very powerful sweet-spot.
Experience is the ultimate teacher

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2011, 06:42:30 AM »
where did you find a second pup?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Iome

• Born to rock..forced to work
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2011, 06:46:21 AM »
Nice, i've always been curious how one of those P.U.'s would sound away from the neck. I remember someone here said it was very powerfull in bridge position.

Skate, try here: http://www.darrenriley.com/fenderparts.htm  Scroll down to bass pickups.

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2011, 08:18:54 PM »

I saw an original on ebay here in Oz about 2 weeks ago. I waqs going to bid on it but I just recently bought a Thunderbird plus pup and was a week short of having the available readies. Think it went for about $120.
Digresion our specialty!

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2011, 07:32:49 AM »

The guy from Bassguitarparts in the UK looked up the parts number and ordered a couple of those babies. I think PeterB bought up the rest of the stock  ;D

I saw an original on ebay here in Oz about 2 weeks ago. Think it went for about $120.

The one I got is the same make/model as the stock PUP, which I actually prevered over a 2nd hand "real" Fender PUP and it cost me about EUR 75.00 IIRC .....
Experience is the ultimate teacher

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »

All it really needs is a paintjob. I don't like sunburst so I had mine refinished in Vintage Guacamole.

Here it is together with Martin's modded modified and an original one.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2011, 05:09:13 AM »
 I took the bass to rehearsal last  night and all I can say is WOW! I ran it through my Ampeg B25B and a 1x15 cab and it really sounds good, like a angry EBO. Lots of harmonics off this pickup. On the E string,  F# down to open E is a bit wooffy but nowhere near as muddy as a EBO. Notes just leap off the D and G string. We are 3 piece with vocals and man this thing really fills out the sound. Like the original I think the bass would have benifitted by having the pickup in a more central location like on a Precision. I bet through my Acoustic 370 this thing could level buildings!

Sven

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2011, 09:20:06 AM »

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2011, 09:55:56 AM »
I just checked out your build VERY cool! These pups are my new favorite flavor at the moment I am going to buy up a few for build/mods.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2011, 11:48:03 AM »
Well then GOT would you consider adding on another pick up to cover that F# to low E..? I am starting to be intrigued by you guys enthusiasm about these. Several months ago I picked up the Squier Jag  (the one with the stacked concentric controls) and was rather facinated that the body/neck were well balanced, simplicity of the controls and the sound as well and then shocked when I saw the $299. price tag!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2011, 12:21:21 PM »
 I might put one in the sweet spot, I'll give the bass sometime before I start modding the crap out of it. If I do I'll be installing a Fender Humbucker in there.