Author Topic: Dimarzio Model One equipped P-Bass  (Read 9732 times)

hieronymous

• View Profile
    • soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven
Dimarzio Model One equipped P-Bass
« on: December 21, 2010, 12:54:23 AM »
I thought this was interesting:

http://www.ikebe-gakki.com/shopping/goods/goods_detail.php?category_id=2&sub_category_id=19&brand=70&view=1&count=12&sort=1&search_status=1&id=183097

An MIJ '62 reissue, modified by Ikebe with the Dimarzio pickup. I love checking out their Fender Japan listings, they come up with some interesting stuff. I have a soft spot for Fender Japan stuff, having grown up with them during high school...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
Re: Dimarzio Model One equipped P-Bass
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 01:00:22 AM »
I love Fender Japan basses. To be honest I cant recall playing one that was less than a very good bass.

Its probably just me but I think that Dimarzio suits that bass better than a Jazz pup would. Makes more sense sonically to me as well.
Digresion our specialty!

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 04:48:48 AM »
 Looks familiar ;) My tribute to Billy Sheehan's "the wife"
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 05:19:55 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 10:21:48 AM »
Yep, I was about to say that looks like a Billy Sheehan Tribute, it just has the wrong headstock shape.
Cool bass.
Nothing is what it seems but everthing is exactly what it is.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 10:28:54 AM »
 Mine is not exact, it needs a mudbucker  and I only need one input not two like Billy's bass. I used to go see Talas play at the Penny Arcade in Rochester NY back  when the wife had finish on her !
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 12:50:36 PM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 10:32:11 AM »
Billy floored me the first time I heard Talas. I only saw him live with Mr. Big when they opened for Rush. But I am a big fan of his solo work and his work with Niacin.

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 10:48:54 AM »
Wow, I didn't even think of Billy Sheehan, for some reason I was thinking of the guy in Grand Funk Railroad, and I don't even know that much about him. Or maybe Doug Rauch. Though of course they were all mudbuckers too. In fact, I didn't even think of my own bass!

Billy floored me the first time I heard Talas. I only saw him live with Mr. Big when they opened for Rush. But I am a big fan of his solo work and his work with Niacin.

Was that on the Presto tour? I think I might have seen them on that tour as well, but my memory is hazy. I used to LOVE Billy Sheehan's playing and that bass...

Basshappi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 11:09:30 AM »
Was that on the Presto tour? I think I might have seen them on that tour as well, but my memory is hazy. I used to LOVE Billy Sheehan's playing and that bass...

Yes! Giant Bunnies!!! :D

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 01:59:42 PM »
Wow, I didn't even think of Billy Sheehan, for some reason I was thinking of the guy in Grand Funk Railroad, and I don't even know that much about him. Or maybe Doug Rauch. Though of course they were all mudbuckers too. In fact, I didn't even think of my own bass!

Mel's was a jazz bass.....  and shitty wen amps to get that growl.....

I have a nice beat up 75 pbass with a mid 60's mudbucker in it and a tele toggle.  one of these days i will rewire as the slide toggle doesn't do it for me.  separate volumes or a blend.  would love to do a stereo but then i am forced to go 2 amps.......

my version of your tele

.   sd hot series.  the fender hb on mine actually out muds the gibbie
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

hieronymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2010, 08:42:04 PM »
my version of your tele

.   sd hot series.  the fender hb on mine actually out muds the gibbie

That works!!! The guy I bought mine from had originally had it routed for the old single-coil, didn't like that so he had it routed for the split-coil. Gave away the humbucker - idiot! Fortunately, Jim Mouradian found a NOS one for me back in the early '90s. When Krishna redid my bass, we custom cut a pickguard to cover the single-coil rout.

Yours looks sweet - how are the controls wired? godofthunder too. I didn't like doing the blend with the humbucker & P pup, so I went the stereo-out route, without a tone control for the Fender humbucker...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 08:21:44 PM by hieronymous »

chromium

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 11:06:05 AM »
I like that new bass!

A few years ago, I saw this band Pigmy Love Circus wherein the bassist Shepherd Stevenson was running this old mud-modded Precision through a fridge and the bass sound was just so massive, crushing, immense... fit perfectly in the context of what they were doing.  I was really inspired by his tone at that show.

It was a funny concert too, since they were opening for King Crimson.  I was there with some old proggie friends (and I suspect 99% of the audience was there with their old proggie friends too...  "play Schizoid Man!!").  Out comes this band playing balls-out hard rock, singer is running around like a psycho brandishing an assault rifle and bondage mask, etc...  The crowd had this collective wtf moment  ;D  Got a kick out of watching peoples reactions.

Anyway, ever since then I've had an itch to build a Precision like that.  Planning to do it with my black-on-black MIJ here at some point, probably with a late 60s mudbucker.  If nothing else, it'll make the lonely Fender fit in with its brethren.  Peer pressure's a b%*&#!

Oh and I still have Talas' Sink Your Teeth Into That on vinyl!  Sheehan blew my mind when I was younger too.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:33:28 AM by chromium »

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 12:58:16 PM »
The Fender mudbucker doesn't sound like the Gibson mudbucker. Both are massively overwound and high output but the Fender has a loud angry distorted midrange that overwhelms the highs and lows while the Gibson has that low/low-mid emphasis.

Pekka

• View Profile
    • Riverdog Samson
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 02:33:47 AM »

Rick Laird of Mahavishnu Orchestra played a mud-equipped Precision for a while and the late great Boz Burrell had a mudbucker on his Jazz Bass in King Crimson.