Author Topic: A new Jazz thing from Fender  (Read 11750 times)

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
Re: A new Jazz thing from Fender
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 04:16:34 PM »
The MSRP is $2799, street price will probably be about $2K.

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o (add another 2,779 more...)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 11:23:06 AM »
http://www.themusiczoo.com/blog/2010/50-years-of-the-fender-jazz-bass/

Fender's own marketing blurb seems to insinuate that the Jazz outsold the P or came close? I'm genuuinely surprised, I thought there were far more Ps out there.

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »
Up until the late 70's early 80's the P was king. I would not be surprised if the J out sold the P these days.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 02:11:46 PM »
The conventional wisdom is that the J has outsold the P for years by a good bit. I don't know if Fender has ever acknowledged this. I think about the greater number of premium J type basses and the greater choice in aftermarket J pickups.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 02:26:49 PM »
If you think of the premium brand Jazz copies out there it would make sense that that's the more popular model of the two. I know Lakland does both but the Sadowskys, Foderas, etc. seem to cater more to Jazz Bass fans, don't they?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 03:10:26 PM »
If you think of the premium brand Jazz copies out there it would make sense that that's the more popular model of the two. I know Lakland does both but the Sadowskys, Foderas, etc. seem to cater more to Jazz Bass fans, don't they?

Sure seems like it to me.  Maybe the balance of the J and its narrower neck (often copied) are reasons?
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 10:32:05 AM »
The P was king into the mid 80s, when the post-jaco vibe got entrenched.  I would say there was period in the mid to late 70s when it was hipper than hip to take a Jazz neck and stick it onto a P body.  But the switch over to Jazz being preferred started in that late 70s period, where people were snapping up early Jazz basses.  A good marker was that in 1983/84 at a vintage show in NYC you could have bought a stack knob refin for $1800, and a custom color 67 for $700.  A pre-cbs P would have been in the grand area, and a 57/58 would be close to the $1500 mark or more.  I have fairly accurate memories of that as I was buying at that show and came real close to buying the stack knob.  Within a couple of years those prices were a sweet dream.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 11:01:44 AM »
You live and learn. I prefer the Jazz myself, in a world of humbuckers a sweet and pure singlecoil is nice. I also like the shaping better and the whole bass is more of an instrument than the "slab of wood" P bass (which has a different charm, I know).
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 02:36:18 PM »
I remember lusting after a black matching headstock '62 J at 'Guitars R Us' on Sunset Blvd in 1986 or so. I think it was $1900 or so and I distinctly remember thinking that was a crazy amount for an old bass, nice or not. Even at 21 I was a dumb kid...  I guess now I'm a dumb old (er) guy. :mrgreen:

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 04:17:24 PM »
I still think Js look like melted Ps. :p

I've got J pickups in my Ps!!

Muzikman7

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 04:29:26 PM »
It's a nice looking bass though I rather have dots with binding than blocks, but in any case I wouldn't pay $2000 for it.
Tony

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 04:42:36 PM »
If I were to build a J to suit me, it would be like the 62 Am Vintage RI except I like a flatter fretboard radius. No blocks, binding or matching headstock, thank you very much.

Hornisse

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 05:05:51 PM »
I remember lusting after a black matching headstock '62 J at 'Guitars R Us' on Sunset Blvd in 1986 or so. I think it was $1900 or so and I distinctly remember thinking that was a crazy amount for an old bass, nice or not. Even at 21 I was a dumb kid...  I guess now I'm a dumb old (er) guy. :mrgreen:

Ray's Heart Of Texas Music had a mint Oly White '66 Jazz with dots and binding back in 1983 and was asking 1k for it.  I also saw Keith Ferguson's '55 Precision bass marked at $1400, a '59 gold guard slab Precision that had been refinished CAR for $600 and a checkerboard bound crushed marker 4001 for $450.  Those were the days.

I bought a '68 Telecaster Bass from Ray's for $400 around a year later. 

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 07:39:51 PM »
i'm P all the way. i think they sound better. feel better, hang better and look better. J's hang funny and the necks are too thin.and the knobs are too close together(same prob. w/ Strats)pups are fine,though not my favorite. i think i could get down with the Jaguar bass.but it's got so many switches?
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2010, 02:38:57 PM »
i'm P all the way. i think they sound better. feel better, hang better and look better. J's hang funny and the necks are too thin.

That's funny, I'm the total opposite! A P bass looks really strange on me for some reason, but a J works. I don't currently own any Fenders.