Author Topic: A new Jazz thing from Fender  (Read 11747 times)

eb2

• View Profile
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: A new Jazz thing from Fender
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2010, 12:42:54 PM »
When I saw the title I thought, "Thing? What the heck is that supposed to mean". Then I clicked on the link... Thing is right! I wanted to like it because I'm partial to matching headstock Fenders, but that bass doesn't know what decade it wants to come from. It seems to me a 50th anniversary Jazz bass should have been like its original ancestor. I can see why the P didn't follow that pattern (the design had changed enough that the general market wouldn't have recognized it), but the original Jazz is still being copied to this day (OK, active electronics are part of many of those, but the platform is the same). Missed opportunity IMHO.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2010, 01:09:33 PM »
At the very least, I thought they could have made them a glitzy gold sparkle, like that '64 I posted some time back; similar theming to the silver ones they had for the 25th (one of the engineers I worked with at BA brought back an anniversary Strat - flew out on staff travel just to get one at US prices), I mean, what's red gotta do with a fiftieth...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 03:30:57 PM »
Amusing if not confused.

Channeling Al Capp?

I'd call it ridiculous. A bass born with an identity crisis.

nofi

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 03:58:45 PM »
i like fenders but this thing is deranged. looks like stunt gibson would pull. ;)

eb2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 04:58:34 PM »
I think it is a nice idea to do stealth updates, like carbon fiber in the neck.  No one can see that really.  But the tuners out of whack with the decal, the neck out of whack with the pup placement, the bridge, the thumb rest, etc.  Too much confusion, I can't can't get no relief!  It looks like an early 1968 reissue, kind of.  I feel like they are using up parts.
Model One and Schallers?  Ish.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 06:02:22 PM »
I don't care what features came in what decade - absolutely could NOT care less.  All I care about is what I like to see in a bass.  IMO Fender is under no obligation to reproduce any "era".  Further, they specifically state: "...it boasts design touches from several periods in Jazz Bass history...".  They're absolutely clear about that.  Tuners not agreeing with the decal???  Pickups not agreeing with the neck????  Oh please, give me a break - the bass is correct for what it is - the 50th anniversary model.

Here's what I see and what I care about:

Color-matching headstock? Check!
Inlays?  Check!
Bridge and pickup covers? Check!
Tugbar?  Check!

As far as I'm concerned, it's not confused, it's lovely!  All it needs is binding on the neck and every one of my likes would be covered.

(As usual, opinion always available on request.)
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2010, 06:12:23 PM »
I don't care what features came in what decade - absolutely could NOT care less.  All I care about is what I like to see in a bass.  IMO Fender is under no obligation to reproduce any "era".  Further, they specifically state: "...it boasts design touches from several periods in Jazz Bass history...".  They're absolutely clear about that.  Tuners not agreeing with the decal???  Pickups not agreeing with the neck????  Oh please, give me a break - the bass is correct for what it is - the 50th anniversary model.

Color-matching headstock? Check!
Inlays?  Check!
Bridge and pickup covers? Check!
Tugbar?  Check!

As far as I'm concerned, it's not confused, it's lovely!  All it needs is binding on the neck and every one of my likes would be covered.

(As usual, opinion always available on request.)

The thumbrest is nice, I've never been a fan of inlays and matching headstocks, and the covers just get in the way.

Agreed that they have no obligation to do a faithful reissue. Still, this looks like someone with no design sense threw it together.

Reminds me of a Johnny Cash song.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2010, 06:30:07 PM »
I share their lack of design sense...if I built my own, it would be essentially identical to that one.

I always liked that Johnny Cash song!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 11:03:38 AM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2010, 08:10:04 PM »
I don't know for sure but I saw on another forum that they're using the Jaguar neck (blocks but no binding). If that's the case, it rings true that they're just using up spare parts.  ;D

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 05:19:42 AM »
True enough, they are under no obligation to make an aniversary edition some kind of reissue. However, I have liked every reissue I've gotten my hands on, guitars and basses alike. I know I haven't played every reissue that they've done, but I've played a bunch of them and I think it's been a really good formula. Again , I've liked them all, some more than others, but still liked them all. This thing may be a great bass, and it probably is, but it comes off as pretty much a Ho, and if I'm in the market for a Ho I'll have one built with all the hot rod Ho stuff I can find and not be concerned with the name on the headstock.
Rick

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 08:23:00 AM »
(hmm... I've been tempted to get some spare bits, copy wise, and build one - could always do my own in a nice sparkly gold fin and call it "FIFTY" instead of "FENDER" on the head - even matches my age - have to be fretless, though)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2010, 09:15:48 AM »
The MSRP is $2799, street price will probably be about $2K. For that, IMO you could buy a better bass from a small builder and have some change to spare.

copacetic

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2010, 10:33:28 AM »
I think what  Fender has done here is fine. They have put together features of the Jazz bass that all make total sense. You can always remove the finger rests and bridge guard. I do not think they are using Jaguar necks as that neck profile is not a Jazz feature (it is a very differnet actually).
I just saw a new Fender Japan bass which is actually a Jazz bass with a pickup in the neck position. Really nice actually, not a new idea but a first for a production piece. Really quiet electronics, passive and MIJ quality. This is not like the ones they produced in the 80's with the black necks, weird plastic creamy finihes and somewhat questionable electronics.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2010, 11:04:45 AM »
The MSRP is $2799, street price will probably be about $2K. For that, IMO you could buy a better bass from a small builder and have some change to spare.

I agree!

To me, it looks like a nice $600 bass.  But then, that's about the most ANY bass is worth to me.