Author Topic: New Suzi Quatro album 3/29 -- and interview  (Read 10975 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: New Suzi Quatro album 3/29 -- and interview
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2019, 02:43:38 PM »
If the RRHOF is screwed up, that list is just as bad. About a third of those artists aren't rock 'n' roll at all. Jazz, reggae, country, soul, hip hop... NOT rock.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2019, 03:30:42 PM »
If the RRHOF is screwed up, that list is just as bad. About a third of those artists aren't rock 'n' roll at all. Jazz, reggae, country, soul, hip hop... NOT rock.

I found all the lists to be flawed, including that one.  But it did have a few artists that I really think need to be on there.  If the RRHOF could just put in a few that really belong like the Doobie Brothers, that would be very helpful.  How they are not already in the RRHOF, I really have no idea.  The Doobie Brothers are essential. 

It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2019, 07:00:29 AM »
Sure, there are artists on that list who should be included. OTOH there's Captain Beefheart, who belongs on a list of pretentious pseudo avant garde twaddle.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2019, 09:07:05 AM »
Sure, there are artists on that list who should be included. OTOH there's Captain Beefheart, who belongs on a list of pretentious pseudo avant garde twaddle.

What?  Not a fan of Captain Beefheart's rock and roll masterpiece "Bat Chain Puller?'  I've never paid any attention to Captain Beefheart or quite a few others on that list, either.  I was just providing the list as an example.  If I made up my own list, it would be way different than that one, although I suspect my list would also have some flaws in it. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »
"...a list of pretentious pseudo avant garde twaddle."

Are you channeling Spiro Agnew?  ;D

Agnew, speaking to the California Republican state convention on September 11, 1970: “In the United States today, we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism. They have formed their own 4-H Club — the ‘hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history.'”
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2019, 10:19:12 AM »

Agnew, speaking to the California Republican state convention on September 11, 1970: “In the United States today, we have more than our share of the nattering nabobs of negativism. They have formed their own 4-H Club — the ‘hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history.'”

Agnew was quite a fan of alliteration.  What gets me is that he looked so much like my high school biology teacher it was uncanny. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »

Agnew was quite a fan of alliteration.  What gets me is that he looked so much like my high school biology teacher it was uncanny. 

Spiro's alliterations were all written by William Safire. Spiro wasn't bright enough to have written his own speeches.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2019, 02:47:44 PM »
Then I guess it was also Safire who came up with his "pussillanimous pussyfooting" line which is really quite a weird thing to say in any context. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2019, 10:19:45 PM »
Then I guess it was also Safire who came up with his "pussillanimous pussyfooting" line which is really quite a weird thing to say in any context.

Yes indeed. I disliked many of his views but the man had a way with words.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2019, 12:38:41 AM »
Yes indeed. I disliked many of his views but the man had a way with words.

I think we can now look back and safely say he was way more skilled with language than politics.  This is a common problem for intellectuals to think their expertise can transfer from one field to another.  But I think I remember reading some of his columns on language in my local newspaper long ago. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2019, 11:04:19 PM »
https://www.loudersound.com/news/watch-trailer-for-new-suzi-quatro-documentary?fbclid=IwAR3EnGkiGkcNOVwgkvOwV6YjcX77ahq7l0viXYz_2-bzXrHC7WRx0AVXNLM

It should be a success in the UK, and I wish her the best. Not sure about this:

Firmager says: “There is only one Suzi Quatro. She has sold 55 million records and still fills stadiums around the world. She was so influential but has yet to be recognised for her contribution to music.

“This film is an attempt to readdress that and introduce her to a new generation.”

Hard to do that when most of the stars being interviewed are from the old generation.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 16, 2019, 09:38:17 AM »
I found all the lists to be flawed, including that one.  But it did have a few artists that I really think need to be on there.  If the RRHOF could just put in a few that really belong like the Doobie Brothers, that would be very helpful.  How they are not already in the RRHOF, I really have no idea.  The Doobie Brothers are essential. 

Totally with you, the Doobies epitomize in so many ways what's unique with US music, they have a breadth of work that encompasses blues, folk, hard rock, white soul, jazzy Steely Dan "yacht rock", country, you name it.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 16, 2019, 10:29:47 AM »
Totally with you, the Doobies epitomize in so many ways what's unique with US music, they have a breadth of work that encompasses blues, folk, hard rock, white soul, jazzy Steely Dan "yacht rock", country, you name it.

Through the years I've had a tendency to lean more toward British rock.  But American rock at times can match it or even surpass it. 

--Blaise Pascal