Author Topic: Fretless P Neck?  (Read 9171 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
Re: Fretless P Neck?
« Reply #30 on: August 07, 2008, 07:47:04 AM »
The V series numbers from the eighties weren't used in a predictable pattern, unlike most US Fender series. That's why you have to look further. BTW, the 1983 booklet was still being used in the late 80s.

JTE

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 07, 2008, 10:09:30 AM »
Uwe,

The serial number on Fenders was not inteneded to track production dates.  It was simply an inventory and invoicing tool.   The serial number plates were purchased in bulk, and distributed to the work benches as needed.  Some workers took the plates off the back of the box, some off the front of the box.  And V000X1 could be on a  '57 Strat reproduction, while V000X2 could be used months later on a '62 Jazz bass.   The only way to establish a good production date on a Fender is to use the neck and body dates (if there are any) stamped or written on the neck heel and the neck pocket of th body.  Combine that with looking at the features, (i.e. logo, decal placement, body shape details, etc.) and the production codes on the pots.

There's a plethora of information on various websites around, and some really knowledgeable folks hanging out here and on the FDP.   George Edmonston who recently joined here knows a LOT about the details of Fender's Fullerton era Vintage Series basses.

BTW, I carefully call them "Vintage Series" instead of generic "reissue".  That's because FMIC did use the term "Reissue Series" for a specific series.  The "Reissue Series" was made in Japan in the late '80s or early '90s.  They were NOT the same as the Japanese Vintage Series however.  The "Reissues Series" were essentially the same as the same era's "Standard Series" except for vintage-style hardware, yellow tinged finishes, and other cosmetic details.  They had the same basswood bodies, cheap switches, crappy miniature pots, bar-magnet PUPs, etc. as the "Standard Series" instruments.   They were an early and not as well done attempt at what the current "Classic Series" is.   While discussing US made "reissues" may not be confusing, once one starrt to mention the Japanese "reissues" we run into the problem of confusing a Japanese Vintage Series with a Japanese Reissue Series.

jte
Without space, music is just noise piling up on itself

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 07, 2008, 02:01:38 PM »
I ain't taking the neck off!!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hate doing that. I have to do it on my MiM reissue sixties Jazz to access the truss rod nut once in a while and it has me swearing every time how they could make something so user-unfriendly.

As a Gibsonite I am allowed to ask the question: Herr Fullerton is someone from Fender who played a role there one time?

Uwe
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 07, 2008, 02:25:43 PM »

As a Gibsonite I am allowed to ask the question: Herr Fullerton is someone from Fender who played a role there one time?

He's talking about the Fullerton, California factory where Fenders were made until 1985. The current FMIC did not buy the factory. G&L occupies that factory now.

You're thinking of George Fullerton (later the G of G&L) who was one of the key players in the early years at Fender. He may still be listed as a consultant for G&L, but late last year Fender Custom Shop came out with a Master Built George Fullerton 50th Anniversary Strat & amp set, with his signature on every COA.

bobyoung

• View Profile
Re: 'Tis done ...
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2008, 08:36:49 PM »
While I know that fretless P Basses did not crop up until the seventies, I pray the rosewood (rather than ebony or maple) board has retained this specimen's original vibe?

I had a 68 fretless P bass, Candy Apple Red with a rosewood neck. I stupidly put Rotos on it and ruined it in about a month or two, I kept sanding it down, until the action got very high with the saddles sitting on the bass surface. I knew nothing about getting them redone back then (1977 and 24 years old, I didn't play basses back then I killed them). It didn't come from the factory fretless but I knew the original owner and he brought it back very soon after buying it in 1968 and traded the stock fretted neck for the rosewood fretless neck. So perhaps they were special order or something. I have a 72 maple fretless P bass now with a B neck. It's been epoxied though which I hate, I'm going to get it redone to Fender specs, or at least as close as someone around here can do. The rosewood fretless had nothing on it, it was bare wood. No lines on either of my fretless basses, 72 Ric 4001FL and 72 fender P, same year basses is a coincidence
« Last Edit: August 16, 2008, 03:39:20 PM by bobyoung »

JTE

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2008, 11:12:19 AM »
The fretless P bass first showed up in Fender's 1969 or 1970 catalog, available with either a rosewood or maple fingerboard, neither with any lines. 

jte
Without space, music is just noise piling up on itself

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2008, 11:36:45 AM »
Lines? Who needs lines? I have ears, I can hear that I'm out of tune, I don't need no lines to show me how much out of tune I am  :P
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

bobyoung

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2008, 03:37:42 PM »
The fretless P bass first showed up in Fender's 1969 or 1970 catalog, available with either a rosewood or maple fingerboard, neither with any lines. 

jte

Mine must have been a prototype ;D The original owner bought it in 68 with a fretted neck and traded the neck in within a week for a fretless neck or at least that's what he told me. Mine was a rosewood. They didn't put lines on fenders for many years. I bought a fretless J bass around 2000 and sold it because of the lines, I couldn't believe they'd do that and still can't.