Author Topic: Filing fret ends  (Read 1079 times)

Hornisse

Filing fret ends
« on: August 18, 2010, 05:52:19 PM »
I want to reduce the sharpness of the fret ends on my bass.  I am not experienced in this procedure and would like some tips from the experts!  (ie: what file to use, what angle to file, etc)  Thanks in advance.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
Re: Filing fret ends
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 07:59:07 AM »
Me too. I have one bass where the frets stick out the ends of the fingerboard every winter.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 08:25:41 AM »
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 10:00:33 AM »
+1 on Stew Mac's guide.

You can also use a regular fine file for the major work and 320 or 400 grit waterproof paper for the rounding over if you're careful (use it dry or just spit on it to keep it moist, not wet ;).  Mask off between the frets and make sure you don't go through the tape.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 01:44:49 PM »
I tend to prefer using an angle-grinder, but they don't allow them at the sanatorium...  :o :o :o

I had to replace the edging when I replaced the binding on the T'bird and used a block along the edge to keep everything at a pleasing angle with something between 300 and 600 grit, with a needle-file for the edges...

Tom... that's weird... wait 'til winter then out with the file - blitz those frets... ;)

Robert... I wouldn't want to angle an edge to greatly - just enough to not be a problem for the edges of your fingers...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Hornisse

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:25:33 PM »
Great tips guys!  Will attempt to put an end to sharp edges.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »
If you have a lot of fret ends to do you can make a beveling file like this by gluing a fine file at the same angle as the fret ends. It helps keep everything at the same angle. But I wouldn't do it for just a couple of frets or if only a tiny amount of metal needs to be removed.