Author Topic: SD Curlee on the 'bay  (Read 1314 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
Re: SD Curlee on the 'bay
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 05:16:58 AM »
  I'd be all over it if the neck wasn't warped.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »
Seller ought to take it to a pro and see if it can be straightened. It's a reasonable price for a Curlee if the neck's okay. I doubt he'll get that price with unknown issues.

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 05:37:08 PM »
Seller ought to take it to a pro and see if it can be straightened. It's a reasonable price for a Curlee if the neck's okay. I doubt he'll get that price with unknown issues.

Agreed. I wonder now if this one is Bobby's old one. The serial number is awfully close to what I remember it being. Really, it was a fantastic sounding bass, cleaner sounding than all of mine.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
 I highly doubt it can be straightened. The neck warped because of the way the grain runs. Poor grain selection is the root of the problem. Sure they might be able to get it straight for a while but the wood will always follow the grain and it will warp again.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 01:52:30 PM »
I highly doubt it can be straightened. The neck warped because of the way the grain runs. Poor grain selection is the root of the problem. Sure they might be able to get it straight for a while but the wood will always follow the grain and it will warp again.

The 3 piece maple neck on mine is straight but as far as I can tell the frets were not leveled by the factory.  The 12th in particular was like a hurdle compared to the rest.  That was easy to fix, getting used to how close the E and G are to the edge of the neck took a while.