Author Topic: Low Down Sound, Custom 6x12 in the works  (Read 2200 times)

n!k

• View Profile
Low Down Sound, Custom 6x12 in the works
« on: March 26, 2009, 01:06:27 AM »
It's going to be an updated version of the Sunn 1200S 6x12 cab. I've always heard good things about Don's work at LDS and I'm excited for the build. He's starting it up this week, should probably have it ready in a month!

6x12, with 6 Eminence Delta Bass 12" speakers, tuned cab for bass. Recessed handles and tilt back casters. Original sunn tolex, silver corners, and convincing silver grille cloth.
Half-speed Hawkwind

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Low Down Sound, Custom 6x12 in the works
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 07:47:25 AM »
That's beautiful!

And my back hurt just from looking at it.   :P
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 06:33:30 AM »

And my back hurt just from looking at it.   :P

I hear ya on the back thing :)

In a good cabinet those Eminence Delta 12" speakers work really well. They can deliver all the bottom of a 15" but they stay a little tighter. They also have great capability to hit the back of the room. A lot of that is dependent on the cabinet, but the ability of the speaker in that department, is much like a 15 ". I've got a 2 12" cabinet with a tweeter to cover the highs. I don't really see much need for the tweeter and I keep mine at "almost off " position. I go for a lower darker sound but I can still get a good high end when I need it without winding up the tweeter. If you were a real clanky , zingy player or a  heavy slapper, a cabinet like that may be too bottomy. I personally don't believe there is such a thing as too bottomy. If I were in the market for some heavy artillery, this cabinet  looks like it would be right up my alley  :)
Rick

bassvirtuoso

• My God, it's full of chrome!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 07:23:31 AM »
I thought LDS shut down, or was that just their physical store?
-Dave

German-American Chrome Fan Club Member #666

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 12:59:22 PM »

In a good cabinet those Eminence Delta 12" speakers work really well. They can deliver all the bottom of a 15" but they stay a little tighter. They also have great capability to hit the back of the room. A lot of that is dependent on the cabinet, but the ability of the speaker in that department, is much like a 15 ". I've got a 2 12" cabinet with a tweeter to cover the highs. I don't really see much need for the tweeter and I keep mine at "almost off " position. I go for a lower darker sound but I can still get a good high end when I need it without winding up the tweeter. If you were a real clanky , zingy player or a  heavy slapper, a cabinet like that may be too bottomy. I personally don't believe there is such a thing as too bottomy. If I were in the market for some heavy artillery, this cabinet  looks like it would be right up my alley  :)
Rick

I've never cared much for tweeters in general, but I'm certainly not a "zingy" or slap player either! The Deltas have a lot of gutsy midrange and I really like them, but they've been kind of ramrodded into a less than suitable cabinet (the much smaller, folded 6x12 Sunn offering) and I can't wait to hear them really tuned in and opened up.

The LDS store front is no more, but they're still taking custom orders.
Half-speed Hawkwind

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 10:44:13 PM »
mmm tasty.
Louder bass!.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 10:45:42 AM »
Great!

n!k

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 07:07:46 PM »
It's done and WOW. I couldn't be happier. Don did an incredible job.

I'll have better pictures taken soon, but here's a quick snapshot. It captures the essence of that original sunn design but with all the modern features I wanted and then some. It's buzz and rattle free and is considerably more clear and round than even my vintage cabs.

Half-speed Hawkwind