Author Topic: How many 4x10's around here?  (Read 9523 times)

chromium

• View Profile
Re: How many 4x10's around here?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »
I'm using SVT cabs.  Tried the 610, but that one had a ported cab and was a little too boomy for me.  Can't fit the 810 in my car, so I went this route instead - a 410, and a 210 (both sealed enclosure).

There are probably better cabs out there, but I got these used and cheep :), and they sound decent with the Orange

I wouldn't mind trying one of those Berg NV610s someday.

Bart!

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 03:52:14 AM »
I`ve been using a Hartke 410 for over 10 years now. Great for the kind of gigs (usually small venues) I play.

leftybass

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2009, 07:58:27 AM »
I can't use 10s, I bought a new Fender combo several years back with 2 10s, blew it up at the 3rd gig. At shows where the backline is provided it's usually an ampeg 8 10 cab, it always sounds too farty to me. Gotta be a 15 for me. I use an Ampeg 1 15 combo, seen here at a show, partially blocked by me.

"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2014 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2013 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2012 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2011 Austin Music Poll
"Top 10 Best Bass Players" 2010 Austin Music Poll

Proud owner of Dee Murray's Steinberger.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2009, 12:31:24 PM »
One way to re-load that Marshall might be to pick up some reconed speakers.  That's what I did when I replaced the rattly Scorpion in my 15" Peavey with an Eminence.  Worked out great and the speaker and shipping were less than a new basket for the Scorpion.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 01:05:48 AM »
im using a 4x10 hartke powered by a 200 watt valve slave amp and also a jbl e 145 15 inch powered by a warwick wpa 4000 power amp all driven by an ampeg svt2p preamp .works pretty well, the valves warm the aluminium cones a bit and the solid state amp pushes the 15 nicely.i for sure like the sound of them both going though.i found the 4x10 by itself wasnt quite enough bass 'weight' for me.(now i get to enjoy the physical weight when i move all that stuff- ho hum)
Louder bass!.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2009, 12:38:23 PM »
I own an Ampeg B40. It's a 4 x 10 inch cab. It came with the V4B head.
The cab is not my favorite. It a bit large to haul around. It is not the most effective cab either. No tight lows.
I get better, deeper and tighter lows out of my Eden D210XLT, which is a 2 x 10 inch  :o

rockinrayduke

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2009, 02:33:17 PM »
I use a SWR Goliath III first call at the gigs and I still have an old Hartke 410XL sitting in the music room.

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2009, 04:33:16 PM »
I own an Ampeg B40. It's a 4 x 10 inch cab. It came with the V4B head.
The cab is not my favorite. It a bit large to haul around. It is not the most effective cab either. No tight lows.
I get better, deeper and tighter lows out of my Eden D210XLT, which is a 2 x 10 inch  :o

But the V4B's dimensions call for an old Ampeg cab underneath! ;D
The B40 is a sealed box, so you won't get lows like a ported cab, at least not with the stock speakers. The Eden has some generous porting, as I recall. Some of the newer design 10' speakers will get down into the 40-50hz range, but even with those the cabinet design won't do what a vented enclosure will (if that's your bag). That said, old Ampegs with 10s (mainly the SVT) weren't designed for deep lows - the concept was to ignore the fundamental frequencies (which were considered problematic in some respects) in order to produce a tone that sounded more focused and balanced in a group context. It's that warm growl that drew me to the old 'pegs in the first place. I always figure that if you're going through the PA, you should be getting the big lows from the system.

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Bass VI

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2009, 01:15:17 AM »
+1 here for 4x10s ( and 10s in general ) I'm using two Eden D410T's and two Eden "Airheads" which are 210XLT's with 4 space racks built into them. Of course Eden has seen fit to discontinue all of them ( quite a while back ) but I don't think I'll ever need more than a dozen 10s anytime soon. If I need to really blow things up, I'll drag out the Acoustic 320/408, that with the two Eden stacks might be the rig of doom for me!

There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to feel you deep in my heart
There was nothing in the world
That I ever wanted more
Than to never feel the breaking apart
All my pictures of you

Hornisse

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2009, 08:29:32 PM »
I've been using a Peavey Tour 410 cabinet since I bought it at GC back in January for their blowout price of $299.  Very easy on my back (65 pounds) and is rated at 800 watts.  I've got an old Hartke 410 XL in the music room as well as a '70 SVT cab which just stays at home!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2009, 10:41:09 AM »
Since I got my Sunn Coliseum-300 head, I've been playing around with driving both my new GK GLX 410 cab and my Peavey 1x15 cab...just to drop the impedence to 4 ohms.  Sounds darn nice, but I doubt I'll drag both cabs to any gigs unless it's an outside event.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Hornisse

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2009, 03:23:25 PM »
I used a GLX cab last year and loved the tone.  The darn thing was just too heavy!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2009, 07:43:46 AM »
That is the ONE major drawback of that GLX410.  It sounds great but the 90-pound weight is a pain for moving things around (given my about-to-be 59 year old back).

And even worse, my choices for storing my gear are either up a full flight of stairs or down an equivalent flight.  I have to have my wife take one side and me the other.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2009, 03:59:39 AM »
Too many years back I tried an Ampeg 8x10 with my Hiwatt but it just did not work for me...

Just had to put off my 4x12 reload due to another unforseen...  :sad:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 04:44:15 AM by Kenny-Murdo' »
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2009, 04:42:11 AM »
That is the ONE major drawback of that GLX410.  It sounds great but the 90-pound weight is a pain for moving things around (given my about-to-be 59 year old back).

And even worse, my choices for storing my gear are either up a full flight of stairs or down an equivalent flight.  I have to have my wife take one side and me the other.

I hear ya. I'm a few months from being 57.  I can still bench press about 300lbs but  that is of little value when it comes to moving equipment around. I am disabled due to a lower back injury and moving stuff is murder on me and stairs are a pain even without equipment.
I'm a big fan of lightweight amps :) I love those Eminance neo speakers and 8-10lb  solid state heads. The vintage stuff is nice, but this old vintage SOB likes the new technology  ;)
Rick