Author Topic: How many 4x10's around here?  (Read 9524 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
How many 4x10's around here?
« on: March 09, 2009, 11:41:52 AM »
Idle curiosity - how many people on here use a 4x10 as their primary cab, either with or without a 15 or other add-on?  I suspect that many of us have gone that route.

I have a new GK Goldline 4x10 that's my gig cab. I can add a Peavey 15" cab (with Eminence speaker) if needed, but frankly we're not that loud a band, so there isn't really a need for it most of the time.

(stock photo...)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 01:39:52 PM by Pilgrim »
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
Re: How many 4x10's around here?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 12:49:27 PM »
I use 4x10s only. First a Kustom Tuck 'n Roll reissue, than an Ampeg, than the Orange and now a Hiwatt with Celestions. No room for an extra 1x15...

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 02:53:13 PM »
do you still get a lot off bottom in your soud with an 4 x 10"?  I use 4 x 12" or 4 x 15" cabs and have little experinence with 4 x 10" played a couple of them on shared backline gigs but just have the idea that a cab with bigger speaker has more "power" in the sound.

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 04:51:24 PM »
I'm in the market for a 4x10. How is the Goldline Pilgrim? I'm looking at either the GK Goldline or BLK for a 4x10.

I'm currently using a Kustom 2x15, and I think its a little too boomy for me.
Are you real, Frank!?

hollowbody

• Been working in the Kremlin with a two headed dog.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 04:56:26 PM »
It's been quite a few years since I've owned 10" speakers in general.  I either use Acoustic 4x15 or 6x12 cabs.  Sometimes I think of going back to a 4x10 for the portability but then I sober up.  ;)

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 06:05:45 PM »
10s? You want 10s?
The one on the left is a 1970s Ampeg B40 with Peavey Scorpion speakers...

If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2009, 08:05:59 PM »
I'm in the market for a 4x10. How is the Goldline Pilgrim? I'm looking at either the GK Goldline or BLK for a 4x10.

I'm currently using a Kustom 2x15, and I think its a little too boomy for me.

I have been using a single Peavey 15, but I didn't get the note definition I started to crave.  I think my ears are becoming more discerning. 

I ran into the Goldline at a GC sale last summer, and I compared it with some other 4x10s there.  I think the bottom end is quite strong, and that the overall sound provides low-end guts but preserves note definition.  I personally like the sound of the Hartke metal cone speakers I've heard, and there is obviously something in common with the metal cones in the GK speakers, but I thought the GK cab had a warmer sound than the Hartkes. I suggest doing some side-by-side comparisons with other 4x10s, and I believe the Goldline is a GC exclusive, so they should have others handy to compare with....but the sound was a winner for me.  The drawback is weight, as the cab is around 90 pounds which is on the heavy side for a 4x10.  If I ever need it for a large venue I can pair the GK 4x10 with my Peavey 15" cab..but that's not normally the kind of gig I play.

There aren't many reviews of the Goldline around yet, but since a few of them suggested that longevity of the speakers might be an issue, I bought the GC extended warranty - something I very seldom do. Probably a waste, since I don't really plan to push the cab near its max rating.

If you try out the Goldline, let me know what you think.  I like the sound a LOT.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2009, 11:01:16 PM »
@ Saf: I have no room in my car for anything bigger than a 4x10. I like 4x12s though. But if I want I have thundering lows with the 4x10, but I always prefer a more pushing mid-ish sound.

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2009, 11:08:54 PM »
I drive an nissan micra and I can get my 4 x 15" cab in the back of it, my amp, two bassguitars and a suitcase with cables etc goes with it as wel. Haven't jet tried to put the bassman 4 x 12" in the car but I think it fits as wel.

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2009, 11:58:36 PM »
I have a Twingo and a guitar playing girlfriend in my band. So:

- 4x10
- Bass head
- Back up bass head
- Fender Deluxe amp
- Guitar in case
- Guitar in gigbag
- Bass in case
- Bass in gigbag
- Effects/cable case Chris
- Effects/cable case Loes
- Loes
- Chris
- And sometimes drum gear or VJ gear:)

TBird1958

• "you know the rule, No boots,No glam!"
    • View Profile
    • www.thenastyhabits.com
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2009, 08:37:22 AM »

Well, I have two GK SBX 4x10's they're the only cabs I use, I think they're pretty articulate and tight, and not boomy.........Definately easier for me to roadie than a single 8x10 (my sissy girlie arms!) and they fit into the Subaru better too.

Resident T Bird playing Drag Queen www.thenastyhabits.com  "Impülsivê", the new lush fragrance as worn by the unbelievable Fräulein Rômmélle! Traces of black patent leather, Panzer grease, mahogany and model train oil mingle and combust to one sheer sensation ...

Saf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 09:57:37 AM »
I used to have an twingo, loved the car. It is sadly passed away last year. I used to transport my bassman 4 x 12" cab, the bassman head, Two of my bassguitars, a combo amp for the banjo player, the banjo and some drumkit gear. It always amazed me how mucht you can put into a twingo. Much more than my micra. (it's my wife's car, I normally drive an daithatsu cuore, I can't get a cab into that one.

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2009, 02:53:21 PM »
I have been using a single Peavey 15, but I didn't get the note definition I started to crave.  I think my ears are becoming more discerning. 

I ran into the Goldline at a GC sale last summer, and I compared it with some other 4x10s there.  I think the bottom end is quite strong, and that the overall sound provides low-end guts but preserves note definition.  I personally like the sound of the Hartke metal cone speakers I've heard, and there is obviously something in common with the metal cones in the GK speakers, but I thought the GK cab had a warmer sound than the Hartkes. I suggest doing some side-by-side comparisons with other 4x10s, and I believe the Goldline is a GC exclusive, so they should have others handy to compare with....but the sound was a winner for me.  The drawback is weight, as the cab is around 90 pounds which is on the heavy side for a 4x10.  If I ever need it for a large venue I can pair the GK 4x10 with my Peavey 15" cab..but that's not normally the kind of gig I play.

There aren't many reviews of the Goldline around yet, but since a few of them suggested that longevity of the speakers might be an issue, I bought the GC extended warranty - something I very seldom do. Probably a waste, since I don't really plan to push the cab near its max rating.

If you try out the Goldline, let me know what you think.  I like the sound a LOT.

Thank you for the info. I went to GC just yesterday, and I tried an Ashdown 4x10, and it seemed too warm for me. It was one of the higher end models. I also tried a Hartke, but I just couldn't dial in the sound i wanted.

They didn't have the Goldline 4x10, but they had the 2x10 and the 8x10, so I played them just to get an idea.

WOW! I found exactly what I was looking for. I played a Mexican P-bass off the wall, and a Gibson SG bass and I got close to perfect on what I wanted out of both the 2x10 and 8x10, tone wise.

I'm still looking at different cabs and makes, but if I can, I'm springing for the Goldline.
Are you real, Frank!?

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2009, 08:13:35 AM »
Another 4x10 that has been out for a year or so is the Acoustic.  The reviews I've read indicate the Acoustic 200W head is a very strong, loud 200W...but I haven't read much about the speaker cabs yet. Most GC stores carry the Acoustics.

If the Goldlines sound good to you, I'm pleased.  They sound good to me.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2009, 03:05:31 PM »
 I have a Marshall 4x10 that needs to be reloaded, I blew all four drivers at a show a few years ago. :sad:
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird