Author Topic: Cheap Bass Strings  (Read 8874 times)

rahock

• View Profile
Re: Cheap Bass Strings
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 12:55:41 PM »
Not I. Those were done by aliens. Without green cards.

Probably not crop circles at all, probably some kind of secret coded message requesting social security benifits ;)
Rick

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2009, 11:24:15 PM »
Probably not crop circles at all, probably some kind of secret coded message requesting social security benifits ;)
Rick

Maybe someday I'll tell the story of the illegal alien we caught using the identity of a relative who had died in an accident.

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 05:00:50 AM »
Maybe someday I'll tell the story of the illegal alien we caught using the identity of a relative who had died in an accident.

I hope he didn't show up at Christmas dinner wondering what time he got to open his presents ;)
Sorry, I don't mean to make light of the situation but I couldn't resist being a wise ass.
Rick

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 10:29:28 AM »
Not I. Those were done by aliens. Without green cards.

Yep, and it's probably code for " The bug has been spread - mission accomplished "  ;)

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 11:12:43 AM »
Rick, no offense taken, some jokes were made at the time.

Long story short: cousin who was born and raised in Houston died in an accident in 1992. Young, unmarried, no social security death claim was made, so SSA didn't know he had died.

In 2004 an uncle found that my dead cousin was now listed in the Houston phone book! Very Germanic name, he was named after my great-grandfather. Uncle called, and got a man with a heavy Spanish accent who could barely speak English. We investigated, found he was using my cousin's SSN and birthdate.

I went to a DPS investigator who got the ball rolling. When they confronted the guy, they had my real cousin's high school yearbook with the names covered. Of course he couldn't identify any of his classmates, and he confessed after they pointed out that one of the ones he couldn't identify was actually a pic of my cousin.  :)

Yes, he was an illegal alien. And he got away with this for about 7 years! He slipped up when he bought a house and forgot to tell the phone company he wanted an unlisted number. D'oh!

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 11:16:54 AM »
Now where were we? Oh yeah, cheap bass strings. That's the ticket :mrgreen:

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 01:38:18 PM »
Now where were we? Oh yeah, cheap bass strings. That's the ticket :mrgreen:

Well, after that story, I can certainly think of a couple uses for those cheap strings if they don't sound so great. >:(
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 04:47:34 PM »
I'm still running on strings I fitted in the 80's...  :o

I do have a new set of Rotosounds around somewhere though...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2009, 05:14:45 PM »
ok, stringfellows. how often do you change your strings?  ??? .the strings on my Ripper are over 2 1/2 years old!   :) no rust. they still look clean & sound great.and i play that bass twice a week at practice.3-4 hour sessions.i play with a pick.i play really really fast punk/hardcore/thrash.i almost never break strings but i play really hard and beat the shit out of my bass ??? .but i play between the neck and pup.when i was younger i played by the bridge and broke strings all the time.but used whatever. i've been using GHS Boomers 105-45 since the mid 90's.i use 'em on my Geetar as well. they last forever.other strings i've tried rusted, :-[ went dead  :o or broke.  >:( i have roto sounds on my peavey T-40 and they feel too rubbery kinda soft and stretchy. :-\
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2009, 09:46:53 PM »
Depends on what bass and how often it gets used.

I like a bit of a piano wire sound to my Jazz and that gets used most so I change strings on that about 5 times a year. With the Stainless rounds 45-105 Webstrings I use that means a cost of about Aus$100 a year (US$75). I cant even buy 2 sets of Rotos for that price here  :rolleyes: AND I prefer the sound and feel of the Webstrings.

The Allen Woody gets Smith Short rounds (44-106) that cost me about US$20 a set. Normally I would change these about 3 times a year.

Cargill custom fretless has had the same set of ancient Roto's RS66's for about the last 6 years.

The Explorer now gets the Webstrings the same as the Jazz and will probably get changed once a year.

The others get changed as required.
Digresion our specialty!

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2009, 11:06:54 AM »
D'addario  chromes on two Fender Ps  that are about 5 years old and they're good for a few more miles. I've also got about five years on a set of La'Bella tapewounds  on my Olympia and they are still fine too. The Olympia and one of the Ps see plenty of action . No immediate plans for a string change on anything......no need 8)
I never got that kind of mileage out of round wounds.
Rick

clankenstein

• Never Gutless!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2009, 02:24:52 PM »
i use dean markley blue steel 105-45 rounds on my eb4l and my eb2.i pay about $25 us for them and i change them about every 3 months when i cant stand the loss of tops anymore.i have also used warwick black rounds,they are good.im just wringing out a set of dr hibeams that i tried as an experiment-not bad, but im not sure these.
Louder bass!.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2009, 02:38:13 PM »
My oldest strings are on my '63 P - flats that I know have been on it since at least 1972.

My 2000 MIM Jazz has the original rounds on it...I'll say 9 years old.

My other basses have flats varying from 1-4 years old.  Most are LaBella Deep Talkin' flats which have a reputation for aging well.  I also have some nicely aged Roto 77's.

If I like the sound, then I never change strings unless one breaks.  I've never broken one.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

SKATE RAT

• too much chicken will make you blind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2009, 07:45:32 PM »
are you serious?  :o i was born in 1972. damn.
'72 GIBSON SB-450, '74 UNIVOX HIGHFLYER, '75 FENDER P-BASS, '76 ARIA 4001, '76 GIBSON RIPPER, '77 GIBSON G-3, '78 GUILD B-301, '79 VANTAGE FLYING V BASS, '80's HONDO PROFESSIONAL II, '80's IBANEZ ROADSTAR II, '92 GIBSON LPB-1, 'XX WAR BASS, LTD VIPER 104, '01 GIBSON SG SPECIAL, RAT FUZZ AND TUBES

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2009, 05:48:48 AM »
Pilgrim, that's freakin' amazing.....I think you're gonna get the trophy on this one. Better start preparing your acceptance speech.
Rick