Author Topic: Blasphemous Thunderbird Carnage  (Read 2847 times)

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Blasphemous Thunderbird Carnage
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 07:58:57 PM »
I hear you Ray. That one stays as is. :)

OVERDRIVEN66

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 08:14:10 PM »
   Is the blue one an original finish bass?  If so, you got a real rare one there. Love those 60's custom color 'Birds!  Pleeeeeze post more pix of it! I have been trying to prompt the guys that know Brian Fischer (who owns over two hundred (!!!!!) 60's Firebirds and Thunderbirds) on the Les Paul Forum to be able to catalog these totally cool and rare guitars and basses.  More photos!!!  Can't get enough of 60's custom color 'Birds!!! Post 'em!!!
Former touring professional. 60's T-Birds 300 days a year on the road with an SVT. Bliss!!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 09:18:46 PM »
My bad... I thought Ray was referring to my blue Bach NR. The custom colored birds I posted above are just pics I've found over the years. Trying to figure out what color I'd refinish my '76 in if I do this.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 02:11:12 PM »
All of them...?
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 02:28:19 PM »
No, if I did this I'd only do it to one of them. I only have two '70's birds left so I wouldn't want to mess with both of them. One of them already has had mods, so it wouldn't be so horrible to give it a few more. I have a few opinions on vintage gear. If you own it you're certainly free to do with it what you want, but my preference with things that have made it this far is to let them be. I guess I could also keep an eye out for a good deal on a newer bird or a broken one...

I remember when having a stock bass or guitar was thought of as boring and limited (brass nuts, mondo bridges, pickups of the week, Khaler, Floyd Rose, custom paint jobs and carving, etc... The fact that any vintage piece made it this far unmolested makes me want to celebrate it rather than get the saw out. Thing is, back then they weren't 'vintage' guitars (or basses), they were just guitars... As for new stuff (or stuff that was modded when newish), I have no problem with that as well, especially for those who actually use their gear for a practical purpose.

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 02:46:03 PM »
Same mentality with my seventies 'bird... I "messed-with-her-head" for a while, now she's getting the full "facial-treatment"... gotta respect age...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2010, 08:48:23 PM »
Scott's probable new purchase got us talking and I remembered a photo I had from a guy who replaced the bridge on his 70's bird for a 60's unit. He went so far as to lay in a veneer from the bridge pickup back (to cover the three point holes). What's even more impressive is that it was a natural bird he did it to:

So that got me thinking. If you planed 1/8" off the whole center section and put a 1/8" veneer on it you could not only slap a two piece bridge on it but do this as well:

Neither one of the two 70s birds I have left is totally original. Both were refinished and one has a Badass. I think I may be yanking off that Badass for a new project!

A serious issue to be sure but I couldn't help but think of these picks as a before and after shot of the tapes pile cleanup  ;D

Digresion our specialty!

OldManC

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 10:46:20 PM »
Yeah, work's a little sloppy but those tapes were bugging me!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 08:33:40 AM »
The joy of Photoshop...  ;)

Freuds_Cat

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 03:59:40 PM »
The joy of Photoshop...  ;)

Hehehe  ;D   Why clean when you can just photoshop it out you reckon Ken?
Digresion our specialty!

Highlander

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 04:36:12 PM »
On the nail, Sport... then again, George has some young-uns to help with the sorting... or do I mean "unsorting"...

Photoshop - a blessing in disguise... ;)