Author Topic: Fan noise in Walkabout Scout  (Read 2784 times)

copacetic

• View Profile
Fan noise in Walkabout Scout
« on: September 22, 2012, 07:08:50 AM »
Recently acquired a new Mesa Walkabout Scout. This combo is quite nice in all aspects, however the fan noise is bothersome even at mid settings. Can understand in the din of a club or stage this would not be too much of an issue, but otherwise the fanlets you know it is working. I'm thinking at low volumes it might not be necessary and perhaps to install a on off switch for this. It really sound like a low level hairdryer. It surely is not necessary to be that loud. Anybody ever dealt with a matter such as this?

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
Re: Fan noise in Walkabout Scout
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 07:20:52 AM »
I have a Scout that I use in our club and I don't notice unusual fan noise, even at lower tune up or practice volumes.  I personally think you might want to have the fan checked if you think it's that loud or else you have very sensitive hearing.  Fans do go bad.  I had one go bad in a brand new computer at work.  Lasted one week before it went nuts and made a ton of noise in the process.

Also, I'd never shut off the fan as it is necessary no matter what volume you're playing at or where.  Ambient temps too will make a huge difference in the need for cooling.  The cost to fix a cooked amp would be high for sure.

I'm playing a gig tonight.  I'll give my fan a listen before we start and see what I think.  I'll get back here tomorrow.
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 12:25:46 PM »
Sounds to me like a good candidate for replacement.  Fans are usually pretty easy to replace.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 01:59:52 PM »
Definitely time for a new fan (club... the old one to death first)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

rahock

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 02:02:26 PM »
Replace the fan. It would be easier to replace the fan than to add an on/off switch and a whole lot more safe than rolling the dice on how long to run/not run the fan. If the noise is that obvious. somethin' ain't right :-\.
Rick