Author Topic: NAD Hiwatt Lead 100  (Read 4600 times)

Hörnisse

• View Profile
Re: NAD Hiwatt Lead 100
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 07:40:16 PM »
Nice score Scott.  I went to a local Pawn Shop the other day and they had these 2 examples.  I know nothing about these so I'm just assuming they are asking way too much!  (they are also posted on CL)

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/3680558459.html

http://austin.craigslist.org/msg/3680899251.html

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 08:51:23 AM »
200 and 400 (HI) watts - 400's are fairly scarce so the value is possibly right if old - you would need to know the age to verify the value of the 200... Scott has a 200 (ex Slade) - old Hiwatt's are beautiful amps and are dual purpose - they perform as bass or guitar amps

Mark Huss' site is the best for info and can give you the age from the serial number, and verify forgeries - the lower the number the better - my DR103 is SNo 831 and that's a 1970 build...

http://hiwatt.org/
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

lowend1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 10:52:18 AM »
I would be extremely surprised if both of those amps are "real" Hiwatts, and not one of the reissue brands (Music Ground, Audio Bros., Fernandes). While the reissue amps are usually good quality, I don't think that they command anywhere near the price of an original Hiwatt. I also find it noteworthy that with the wealth of Hiwatt dating info available, there is no year mentioned on either amp, nor are there any rear panel photos - which would tell you right away whether or not they were the real deal.
If you can't be an athlete, be an athletic supporter

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 12:53:50 PM »
 Those two on cl seem a little high though The 400s can go  for that kind of money mine is a '83-'84, last of the last.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
Re: CL Hiwatts
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2013, 12:11:07 AM »
They're both latter-day Hiwatts, maybe even homebrewed. Those look like Marshall head cases with the piping added. Those prices are ridiculous, even for Craigslist.  Even IF those have Partridge transformers (which they almost certainly don't) the asking price would have been optimistic ten years ago; today it's laughable. ...but that's also a store using Craigslist for free advertising.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2013, 06:49:55 AM »
Yeah, it's a Cash America pawn shop.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2013, 08:34:33 AM »
Well I have had a chance to run this with my rig and it sounds fantastic! Maybe not from the most desirable Hiwatt era but a great sounding amp at a very fair price. Next another 2150 cab ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:42:01 AM by godofthunder »
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird