Author Topic: 3 strings  (Read 5268 times)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
3 strings
« on: September 17, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »
For a couple of years I've been thinking about making a bass with just three (3) strings. The background to that idea is the fact that I use the G string quite little, it's just for the occasional funk, which - to be honest - bores the f-ck out of me. In my mind it reduces the bass to litle more than a rhythm instrument. I want the bass to be part of a moving floor, yep, but still bringing flowers and - at times - interesting lines.
Besides, a 3-string would look kinda kool!
So I'm into these thoughts about a 3-string. Maybe with B at the bottom, followed by E and A? Or should I go for a E .110 bottom?
Is there anyone out there who's tried this concept? Are there any serial manufacturers of a 3-stringer?
And, would a T-bird pup do?

patman

• View Profile
Re: 3 strings
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:06:33 AM »
I set up my favorite Precision BEAD...it works well for the most part because that particular bass stays in tune up the neck pretty well. i stopped using the sixer beause the Precision just sounds better. A lot better.

BEA would not have enough high notes for me.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 05:33:23 AM »
i tried using three strings and my fingers go the absent g string too often. i made a 2 string with an e and a and its fun to mess with. with only 2 strings its like learning a new instrument.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 07:41:09 AM »
Tony Levin had one made by MM quite some time ago. It has since been destroyed in a fire.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:22:04 AM »
Peter Pan Speedrock bassplayer Bartman uses a bass guitar with only three strings.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 04:22:50 PM »
Tony Levin had one made by MM quite some time ago. It has since been destroyed in a fire.

I liked the letter he got from Sterling Ball after he sent it in: http://www.papabear.com/miscpages/fire.htm  :)

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 11:59:53 PM »
 ;D

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2012, 12:13:27 PM »
Sometimes things just happens, out of the blue. So, a pal calls me up today to remind me of the bass my daughter lent his son 15 years ago. The son has no interest in the bass, lost it several years ago, and now my pal wants to leave it to me. "Just takes up space", he says. My daughter isn't interested either. Which leaves who? Moi! Who had forgotten all about that bass!
The bass in question is a black Ibanez I bought for our oldest daughter around 20 years ago. Cheap. Combination of P and Jazz pups that I don't intend to keep. Or should I? Which pup should I get for my 3-stringer to be? Don't have enough bread for any extra vaganza, so it can't be to expensive. As most of us here, I really dig the T-bird pup. Any ideas?
Plus: where to get a saddle and bridge piece that I can turn into 3-stringers?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »
Remove  the G string and play it that way for a while to see if you like it.  

If you do, you can play it like that...

Then consider a new 3 string nut and removing one of the saddles from the bridge and relocating it to center the remaining strings.  You can get a $15 dollar blade (bar) type pickup.  Or you can relocate the Jazz pickup slightly.  Very little money is required.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 02:25:10 PM by dadagoboi »

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2012, 02:20:08 PM »
One and a half P pups... or something with a bar instead of pole-pieces...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2012, 03:26:48 PM »
whatever pickups are in that bass will work. except for the afore mentioned nut this a free bee.
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Rob

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2012, 03:28:06 PM »
Remove  the G string and play it that way for a while to see if you like it.  

If you do, you can play it like that...

Then consider a new 3 string nut and removing one of the saddles from the bridge and relocating it to center the remaining strings.  You can get a $15 dollar blade (bar) type pickup.  Or you can relocate the Jazz pickup slightly.  Very little money is required.

YEP

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2012, 03:52:48 PM »
EMG Selects are blade pickups

GonzoBass

• View Profile
    • ReverbNation.com/GonzoBass
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 10:40:12 PM »
I think it was the guy from NOFX who had his E-A-E-A
in case he broke one, he said...
He also said the other two strings were "kinda silly" :mrgreen:
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

Aloha-
Papa Gonzo
GonzoBass.com

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2012, 04:32:38 AM »
Scroll a little down here - but Magnum Coltrane Price wanted a custom three string FOR funk, you are going the other way:

http://www.google.de/imgres?q=magnum+coltrane+price+three+string+bass&um=1&hl=de&rls=com.microsoft:en-US&tbm=isch&tbnid=zZV1ChuToq4AoM:&imgrefurl=http://hotwire-bass.com/457.html&docid=QNN3kxQFX9B9lM&imgurl=http://hotwire-bass.com/tl_files/hwb/basses/custom%252520shop/drei%252520saiten/b3all.jpg&w=709&h=334&ei=K05cUKRTp6bRBeqPgYgG&zoom=1&biw=1194&bih=576&iact=rc&dur=640&sig=110951879766633309401&page=2&tbnh=79&tbnw=168&start=21&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:21,i:144&tx=86&ty=44

If truth be told I could rather see myself sacrificing the E rather than the G string! I love the sound of a G on a Gibson bass, on Fenders, Rics and Stingrays they can sometimes be a bit thin, but never on a Gibson, regardless of scale. Does that make me a closet baritone guitar player?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 04:43:29 AM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...