Gear Discussion Forums > Gibson Basses

anyone in need of a Moog board for RD Artist?

<< < (3/4) > >>

doombass:
I'm also with you in that respect. The cut/boost eq just do what any of those 2 band preamps do. The "normal" setting is the meat and potato-setting that I use 95% of the time I play the RD. The compression/expansion and brightmodes are more for freaking out IMO. Gives you the feeling you have that secret little weapon engaged with the flick of a switch.

And of course the development over the past 40 years has provided us with smaller electronic devices. Just look at the smartphones. A megaload of functions in a tiny package. The RD with its huge Moog-board is a cool and for its time pioneering artefact (but nobody else caught on though  ;D ) kind of like any old odd car design.

Highlander:
Best move I made with mine was extraction... :vader:

slinkp:
I wonder if the two-band preamp in the RD was inspired by the Stingray which came out the year before?  Stingray was '76 and RD was '77?
Was that the first bass with a two-band fixed-frequency boost/cut EQ?

Alembic came earlier, but I think all their EQs were based on sweepable filters ... ironically, a lowpass filter with variable frequency and Q, more similar to typical analog synths.
I wonder why Moog didn't go that route for the RD.  I love that Alembic filter, though I've only actually used the fixed-Q variant that they sold with their replacement Fender pickup sets.  It can do a lot of things that a two-band can't (and vice-versa of course).

66Atlas:
I am guilty on committing heresy when my moog died, but i like the way it sounds.

Crappy picture but they are TV Jones Thunderblades.  No mods to the pickguard so it can be converted back if I ever get the board fixed.

Dave W:
If you have an RD you want to restore, then you want the board, even if a modern two-band preamp would do the trick. Or an external preamp pedal, for that matter. it's no different from wanting any other vintage part.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version