Gear Discussion Forums > Rickenbacker Basses

Babicz Full Contact Ric bridge

(1/3) > >>

ilan:
https://www.fullcontacthardware.com/fch-Rickenbacker-bass-bridge

$170. Unlike the Ric V2 bridge/tailpiece it's a drop-in unit and no extra drilling is needed, but it does not prevent tail lift.

Palm muting is impossible, just like with the Babicz bridges for Fenders.

gearHed289:
Anything that retains the old mute assembly is a no for me.

morrow:
I just have two , a 4001 and a 4000 , and I’m ok with the original bridges . I just leave TI flats on mine , so they don’t require continual tweaking . Set and forget .
Heck , I’m ok with the dreaded Gibson three point , and even the Dano popsicle stick bridges . There is a sweet spot for those things .
Even after years of the simplicity of the Pbass bridge .

ilan:
I find the Ric bridge/tailpiece very limiting in both its original version and the new V2. I'm a pick player and need to palm mute to deaden unwanted open string vibration. The Babicz unit just adds another obstruction. Maybe it has its advantages for fingerstyle players, I don't know.

uwe:
It's true, the Ric bridges doesn't exactly invite palm muting. Some basses just don't. OTOH, I think it's part of the Ric's charm that it is mostly played un-palm muted. I remember seeing Chris Squire. Dis he palm mute? No. Was he noisy and did you hear empty strings ring while he played? Like hell! But it/he sounded great. Totally no-holds barred rock'n'f***in'roll. A bit like Pete Townsend or Neil Young playing guitar, noisy but gifted.

Some of the Ric's weaknesses are also its strengths. A 4001/4003 strung with fresh roundwounds is a noisy beast, a sonic race car. Love it or leave it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version