Author Topic: SG Standard Bass 2015  (Read 3329 times)

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
SG Standard Bass 2015
« on: May 19, 2016, 02:14:00 AM »
Gibson seems to be dumping the 2015 model on the European market. Thomann and Music Store ( both German - jawohl Herr Direktor ! - superstores ) offer it for under EUR 900 which came in pretty handy for me because I just sold my troubled 2005 model ( remember my last years cracked neck post ? )

It was delivered yesterday and one of the first things that got my eye is the somewhat smaller headstock. Gibson's next bid in reducing neck-dive ?  :o 

The Babicz ( pronouced: ba-bitch ?   :rimshot: ) bridge and I got it off instantly, though I have to reserve judgement to its changing the sound of the original product. As much as I hate tuning up the 3-point, its sound really works for me on the SG and I never even considered getting a Hipshot replacement. Having said that I have to admit the Babicz's got me curious and was one of the reasons that made me decide to get this bass .....  :-[
Experience is the ultimate teacher

nofi

• View Profile
Re: SG Standard Bass 2015
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 05:20:09 AM »
hmm, smaller headstock, zika virus? :-[
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 05:37:00 AM »
Yeah, I saw a Babicz on an SG bass at a local store recently (first time getting a close IRL look at one) and was a little put off by the overwhelming size of the thing.... also, my usual gripe about why a post-mounted bridge would be made to  fit so snug to the body to the point of damaging the wood/making an indentation.  Made my Schaller 460L (2 point replacement; except the wider version, look tiny).
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

66Atlas

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 09:03:38 AM »
Is the headstock smaller? I never even noticed.  I have one in our rehearsal space that I only keep as a back-up so I haven't spent a lot of time with it.  Of all the "Upgrade" bridges available for the 3 point I find the Babicz to be the least offensive looking, but when it's said and done I'm perfectly happy with my 3 points.  ;D

Granny Gremlin

• View Profile
    • Granny Gremlin home page
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 09:52:58 AM »
The Badbird is easily the least offensive looking.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page (drummer and bassist of Deep Purple, Jake!)

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2016, 02:08:16 PM »
hmm, smaller headstock, zika virus? :-[

Nofi, how dare you!!!  :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2016, 02:33:44 PM by uwe »
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2016, 02:43:10 PM »
AFAIK the headstock size in 2015 is not smaller. My 2014 was replaced by Gibson with a 2015 so I had no chance to compare them side by side.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 04:00:04 AM »
Of all the "Upgrade" bridges available for the 3 point I find the Babicz to be the least offensive looking

I agree. It's not as overpowering a presence as the Hipshot.

AFAIK the headstock size in 2015 is not smaller. My 2014 was replaced by Gibson with a 2015 so I had no chance to compare them side by side.

Well Dave,

You ol' grumpster ;), I was comparing to the ol' 2005 model ( and both of my 2007 Supreme's ). Never had the pleasure to meet a 2014 model face to face ......  ;D

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 04:45:15 AM »
It looks good on a new TBird, on the SG shape anything but a one bar two point bridge - that pinnacle of American hardware engineering that tips forward like Lindsay Lohan after a night out -  - is out of place***.

*** anything in italics shall be deemed of ironic nature

Seriously, the Babicz looks a bit too modernistic and large on the SG model, but a Supertone would be even worse.

Sound- and adjustmentwise they are all fine bridges though.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2016, 08:39:20 PM »

Well Dave,

You ol' grumpster ;), I was comparing to the ol' 2005 model ( and both of my 2007 Supreme's ). Never had the pleasure to meet a 2014 model face to face ......  ;D

Looking at pics of a 2005, it is a little larger, you can tell by how close the Grovers are to the edge.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 03:10:00 AM »
Thomann are offering the SG at £650 and Thunderbirds (with the EB pickups) for £875, which for Europe/UK pricing, is great pricing.  The same Thunderbird was around double that over here last year. 

I played one of the 'birds in New York last year, but to be honest, while I couldn't actually hear whether the coil switches actually did anything at all, it's sounded OK though wherever the switches were set. 

If only Gibson would take their thumb out their ass and offer some different colours (red, blue, green), I'd have been over the Thunderbird like a tramp on chips.
P
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 12:12:49 PM by planetgaffnet »
The future I come from no longer exists.

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2016, 10:29:47 AM »
Gibson's distributor(s) on your side of the pond must have bought too many. There are very few new ones left of either model over here and prices haven't dropped much.

Droombolus

• Younger Old Fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 12:38:34 AM »
I doubt that. Thomann has got the SG Bass on back-order for month or two. According to their sales dept they're expecting a big shipment, which was postponed for another month at the beginning of May. I wager that wouldn't be happening if the shipment had reached this side of the pond already. 

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 11:46:29 AM »
I doubt that. Thomann has got the SG Bass on back-order for month or two. According to their sales dept they're expecting a big shipment, which was postponed for another month at the beginning of May. I wager that wouldn't be happening if the shipment had reached this side of the pond already.

That's odd, because they aren't even available for order here. None of Gibson's national online dealers have any SG Basses left, and only two of them have a single TBird each: one at full original street price of $2599, the other reduced to $2209. When they're gone, that's it. Only thing new out there is the ES-Les Paul Bass from Gibson Memphis, and one group of independent dealers who share a warehouse have some 2014 EB 4 and 5 strings left.

Thomann is so big that Gibson must be doing a special run of them.

planetgaffnet

• View Profile
    • Nancy Johnson
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 12:09:48 PM »
Thomann is so big that Gibson must be doing a special run of them.

If that's the case it's a pity they're not putting some different coloured paint in the spray guns.
The future I come from no longer exists.