Author Topic: A flats vs rounds comparison  (Read 3431 times)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
A flats vs rounds comparison
« on: May 21, 2020, 08:19:59 PM »

westen44

• View Profile
Re: A flats vs rounds comparison
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 10:16:34 PM »
I came really close to getting one of those a few days ago.  But as I mentioned in another post, I decided to get a second Gibson LP Jr. Tribute DC bass instead.  But the price drop at Music 123 is tempting on the Guild.  They have it for $1025 in natural.  Emerald green is still at the regular price.  I still hope to have a Guild some day.  BTW, that's an interesting video.  Right up my alley. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

4stringer77

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 06:41:42 AM »
"I can make this bass sound like a 60s Starfire" proceeds to play something originally done on an EB-2  :P
Contrary to what James Bond says, a good Gibson should be stirred, not shaken.

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 07:03:21 AM »
"I can make this bass sound like a 60s Starfire" proceeds to play something originally done on an EB-2  :P

;D ;D

Where are those Guild reissues made? I see them all the time on eBay. Really cool basses.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 09:58:30 AM »

Speaking of an EB-2, that was really my first choice in what I wanted to buy.  But the cheapest thing I could find was one for $1600 that had had major repairs. 
It's not those who write the laws that have the greatest impact on society.  It's those who write the songs.

--Blaise Pascal

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2020, 10:11:02 AM »

Yes that got my brain spinning a bit, "Hmm, wait a minute, that's Animals, hmmm"  ;D But OTOH the sound is not far off from an EB-2/Rivoli with the Baritone switch engaged.

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 10:44:45 AM »
That could have very well been the same bass on some songs by the Animals and the Jimi Hendrix Experience.  Because on many of the songs Noel Redding was playing Chas Chandler's EB-2 on the "Are You Experienced" album.  It wasn't until mid-February 1967 that the Jazz bass started being used on a few songs such as "Manic Depression" and a couple of others.  In another piece of trivia, I once read that Chas Chandler bought an EB-1 shortly before he died.  It's a shame he didn't have much of a chance to play it. 

--Blaise Pascal

westen44

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2020, 11:21:06 AM »
All these posts and no one yet has said anything about the flats vs. rounds comparison.  I'm afraid I don't have much to add, though.  I prefer playing rounds, but admit that flats can sound pretty good. 

--Blaise Pascal

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2020, 12:38:31 PM »
All these posts and no one yet has said anything about the flats vs. rounds comparison.  I'm afraid I don't have much to add, though.  I prefer playing rounds, but admit that flats can sound pretty good.

I'll say it: sounds fantastic with flats and a pick. Nothing wrong with the other tones, though.

;D ;D

Where are those Guild reissues made? I see them all the time on eBay. Really cool basses.

They're made in Korea.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 05:00:15 AM »
If you listen to a lot of 70ies recordings closely, you'll be surprised to hear how much flatwound picking was going on, in heavier music too. Flats can really cut through without sonically stepping on other people's toes.
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...

doombass

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 02:54:30 PM »
I think flats accentuate the hollowbody sound.

ilan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2020, 12:15:34 PM »
I've never heard a hollow body bass with rounds that I liked. Hollow bodies need flats to bring out their special character. And not "bright flats", they need dead thumpy flats. At one point a luthier wanted to assess the bridge height on one of my Höfners and strung it with rounds. Oh, the horror.

And I'm certainly not a flatwound purist - all my solid bodies (except one) wear DR rounds.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 12:45:47 PM by ilan »
The guy who bought the same bass twice — first in 1977 and again in 2023

Dave W

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2020, 08:19:21 PM »
I've never heard a hollow body bass with rounds that I liked. Hollow bodies need flats to bring out their special character. And not "bright flats", they need dead thumpy flats. At one point a luthier wanted to assess the bridge height on one of my Höfners and strung it with rounds. Oh, the horror.

And I'm certainly not a flatwound purist - all my solid bodies (except one) wear DR rounds.

Don't forget tapewounds. A lot of 60s hollow or semihollow players used them.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2020, 07:08:46 AM »
Tapewounds work very well on my Ibanez AGB-200 semi-hollow...aside from that' I'm a flats guy.
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 09:32:21 AM »
I love the nylon tapewounds on my Höfner. Pyramids ones, which don't feel sticky. I don't like the sticky Rotos that much.