Author Topic: Is the Gibson EB bass tonally close to the 2015 Thunderbird?  (Read 613 times)

VeloDog

• View Profile
Is the Gibson EB bass tonally close to the 2015 Thunderbird?
« on: November 13, 2014, 02:37:04 PM »
This is just a curiosity question.

I bought one of the 2013 Gibson EB basses that Sweetwater was blowing out for $700.  I was looking over the 2015 Thunderbird specs and noticed that it now uses the same Alnico V pickups in what appears to be the same or similar placement as the EB.  Got the same push-pull coil tapping pots and Babicz bridge as well.  Since the scales are the same at 34" doesn't that mean pretty much mean the only difference that would affect tone is the difference in body and neck wood?

Looks to me like you might be able to EQ the EB bass to sound very similar to the T-Bird, although it's probably wishful thinking to believe a $700 bass could pull the same weight as a $2,600 bass.  Like I said, it's just a question born of curiosity and ignorance, but I would be interested to hear from the T-Bird gallery.  I've played older T-Bird basses and love the tone but never owned one because the T-Bird ergonomics don't particularly suit me. 

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
Re: Is the Gibson EB bass tonally close to the 2015 Thunderbird?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 03:17:07 PM »
It's even the same fingerboard wood, so - speaking from the sidelines, mind you - I would be really surprised if there's much *plugged in* difference at all, especially in a band setting.   Sustain difference maybe?

To my thinking, which I know not everybody shares... assuming the same player, same amp & same speakers, nearly all of the inherent tone of a live electric fretted bass is accounted for by strings and electronics.  Wood is nice, but it's a very small part of the equation.  And nobody but us and our spouses ever hears 'em unplugged...
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

amptech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 03:51:18 PM »
... I would say wood is a part of the equation, not a small part. Mahogany does not sound like ash or maple, acoustic OR electric.

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 10:28:15 PM »
... I would say wood is a part of the equation, not a small part. Mahogany does not sound like ash or maple, acoustic OR electric.

Agreed. There's also the difference in attack between set neck and neck through, and it's possible that the difference in body shape could play a part.

Still, the electronics are a big part of the sound, no doubt about it.

uwe

• Administrator
  • Enabler ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2014, 06:31:31 PM »
I will tell you soon!
We've taken too much for granted ... and all the time it had grown ...
From techno seeds we first planted ... evolved a mind of its own ...