Author Topic: Lefthanded bassplayers playing Thunderbirds.  (Read 16347 times)

Rhythm N. Bliss

• Steiny Spirit Mon
    • View Profile
    • MySpace:
Re: Lefthanded bassplayers playing Thunderbirds.
« Reply #60 on: February 28, 2009, 10:36:20 PM »
All Right! Great job on Substitute!  8)

I got to see The WHO in '73~ One of the best Rhythm Sections if not THE BEST Rhythm Section in ROCK!!
Keith Moon RIP
John Entwistle RIP

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 28, 2009, 11:10:29 PM »
Did that Charvel come in yet?

And, for the absolute hell of it, and for no reason other than to make a fool of myself, I present to you, me playing on my Epi Thunderbird, converted for pure lefty usage. Enjoy (or don't).
One of my most favorite songs to play on bass, I find it so fun to play.
and I'm playing through a small Ibanez 20 watt practice amp, so it won't sound all that great compared to what I'm used to.

haha that epi sounds just like mine, and that was really good, and I also have played many WHO jams in the day including Substitute
why you would think we would laugh at that is crazy. if your that good on that song, your just as good on many others i assume and you should be proud of that and post videos all over youtube!!!!

there's STILL a shortage of GOOD lefty players compared to the righthanders

and yes I did get the thing, the setup was still good from the music store that must have had it sitting near a window on display forever because the pearlwhite color is beautifully sun-aged, and looks very nice.

this one will stay strung up E on top until I get a righthanded reversed headstock neck as a spare so the headstock is in the correct position still, and if I sell it I can put it back the way it was.

to show some people I also play E on top and not JUST inverted strings,
I'm playing it YOUR way --- E on top  :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 07:15:55 AM by amimbari »

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »
Ah thank you for the kind replies and compliments everyone  :)

Can't think of anything more fun then just cranking my little 20watt practice amp up and jamming to some Who.

You know what amimbari? Just yesterday I went into a small mom n pop guitar shop just to look around, and the only lefty they had was a Charvel PJ just like yours, only black. Sounded and played great (with the exception of the buzzing, but that's an easy fix), but I couldn't justify the $360 they wanted. I'm really diggin' the sun-bleaching on yours.

And I think its awesome that you can play both ways. Either way, we southpaws got to stick together!

I'll post another video after the ol' camera is done charging.
Are you real, Frank!?

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2009, 03:15:30 PM »
Ah thank you for the kind replies and compliments everyone  :)

Can't think of anything more fun then just cranking my little 20watt practice amp up and jamming to some Who.

You know what amimbari? Just yesterday I went into a small mom n pop guitar shop just to look around, and the only lefty they had was a Charvel PJ just like yours, only black. Sounded and played great (with the exception of the buzzing, but that's an easy fix), but I couldn't justify the $360 they wanted. I'm really diggin' the sun-bleaching on yours.

And I think its awesome that you can play both ways. Either way, we southpaws got to stick together!

I'll post another video after the ol' camera is done charging.
ya 360 is like 100 more than it would be worth to most people, considering the "LACK" of lefty's who would even look at a Charvel when there is SX lefty's for under 150, and I'll bet that thing has been sitting in there for a while like mine was.

I don't know how many lefty's they made and I know it is not rare or anything even though I never saw one, but to actually see someone playing a lefty Charvel ( guitars included ) is a rarity.  ( until now )  :P

and p.s. your 20 watt amp would suck for a band situation, but jamming by yourself, who cares...hell I used to use my 100 watt radioshack stereo with 2 15" 3 way home speakers for noodling before I had enough amps to have one in my couple jamrooms.

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2009, 07:13:57 PM »
I'm sure it would surprise the people I play with, thats for sure. I wouldn't mind adding it to my small collection, but like you said, its a tad too pricey. I never knew Charvel even made lefties until I saw your white one.

I usually play through a Kustom 2x15, as the 20watt is only for bedroom practice. It's loud enough to shake the room so it works. I'm saving up for a 4x10 over the summer, so I'm hoping for something different from the boom of the 2x15.

Here is another video. Decided to do something ska (something I rarely play).

A few mistakes in some spots, but I tried to make it not so noticeable.
Are you real, Frank!?

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2009, 07:21:50 PM »
I'm sure it would surprise the people I play with, thats for sure. I wouldn't mind adding it to my small collection, but like you said, its a tad too pricey. I never knew Charvel even made lefties until I saw your white one.

I usually play through a Kustom 2x15, as the 20watt is only for bedroom practice. It's loud enough to shake the room so it works. I'm saving up for a 4x10 over the summer, so I'm hoping for something different from the boom of the 2x15.

Here is another video. Decided to do something ska (something I rarely play).

your good, and all your vids have comments turned off, so I cant post there, so I'll say it here, and that is......

lefty-righty-inverted whatever, your good, and you should show it to the world --- -heck ya, play your favorites.

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2009, 08:33:29 PM »
Ah yeah, I'm internet shy when it comes to videos  :-\

But thank you very much, I don't get complimented often and when I do, it always pushes me to play even better. I'm working on my ear and learning the fretboard at the moment.
Are you real, Frank!?

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 03, 2009, 12:36:17 AM »
Concerning lefthanders: The Beatles were really on top of the game, with the whole rhythm section being lefthanded. Ringo himself once said - I think it was in Max Weinbergs drum book The Big Beat - that he played righthanded during the drive, but when it came to fills, he played them lefthanded. Maybe that's why some of the fills he did with The Beatles sounds so... different and explosive?

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 15, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »
I don't usually drag the Jackson out of the case too much anymore, but I figured a thread bump with a lefty playing a tbird was necessary  :)

so here's me on it this weekend playing an old time favorite.

pbrocker56

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 15, 2009, 07:41:56 PM »
Awesome like always amimbari. I've been playing my SX P-bass more lately, only because the Bird is need a setup. Taking it in Tuesday for a little "buzz kill" and whatnot.

I was wondering, has not having position markers on the neck been any trouble for you?
Are you real, Frank!?

Blazer

« Reply #70 on: March 15, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »
Concerning lefthanders: The Beatles were really on top of the game, with the whole rhythm section being lefthanded. Ringo himself once said - I think it was in Max Weinbergs drum book The Big Beat - that he played righthanded during the drive, but when it came to fills, he played them lefthanded. Maybe that's why some of the fills he did with The Beatles sounds so... different and explosive?

Another drummer who did that was Keith Moon, usually when a drummer plays with double kick drums they use their main foot (the left if they're left handed and right when they're right handed) to dictate the main rhythm while using the other to play accents. Keith Moon however switched from using his right foot to supply the main beat to using his left foot to do so when double playing was required, there aren't many drummers who can match that feat.

It's a bit like a right handed player playing the main part of a song on a right handed bass and then switching over to a left handed bass only to do a solo.

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2009, 07:14:05 AM »

I was wondering, has not having position markers on the neck been any trouble for you?
a lot of difficulty in the beginning, but that was so long ago....I liked the reverse triangles the best, cause I could see the wide edge of them perfectly with a little tilt of the neck here and there, the dots can be more of a challenge, but like I said...that was years ago.

one more "lefty playing a tbird video" for the "OLDER" gang here at TLBO: this one was taken from the Abbot and Costello movie with the Andrews Sisters singing it. The Jackson is the FARTHEST thing from sounding like an upright bass, but who cares....the notes are correct :)

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2009, 08:19:19 AM »
Hey, even I'm not that old.

amimbari

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2009, 08:37:01 AM »
Hey, even I'm not that old.
well Dave, neither am I at 48, BUT.....my parents/grandparents loved 30's40's50's swing music, and drilled enough of it into my brain as a youngster before sex, drugs and rock and roll ruined me for LIFE :)

I have enough 45rpm records to post 5 videos a day for the next 6 months of that type of stuff <<<< but I won't, as it is just "not me".

have a great week, and let's see some more "leftys playing tbirds" in this thread soon.

Stjofön Big

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2009, 09:33:59 AM »
Nice, I really dig that tune. Now, I'm just waiting for some Louis Prima stuff to turn up from you! Come on, Jump, jive, and wail!!!