Author Topic: Gibson vs. Dean update  (Read 2190 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: Gibson vs. Dean update
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2023, 09:20:41 AM »
The early Japanese imports were influenced by the then current designs but not copies. And many had that wonderful early Italian influence , knobs and switches , and were as cheesy as cheesy could be.
A mix of space age retro futurism and rubber lizard movies.
I loved the period when Teisco and the rest made wonderfully unique looking cheap guitars. There’s some modern builders that embrace that aesthetic.

Unfortunately their work is rarely cheap.

I think having and owning those early basses is a lot of fun.  I had a Univox Mosrite copy but it was an assembly and repair project and I passed it along to someone who had more time.  I'd be happy to play one of the Eastwood reproductions. 

I've had a couple of Kay KB-2s which I enjoyed, but both had neck problems. 
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

slinkp

• View Profile
    • slinkp home page
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2023, 09:36:14 AM »
I recently picked up a UniVox Mosrite copy , a HiFlier. And it’s a lot better than I originally expected , aside from one slippy tuner. It sounds really good. But I suppose I’m guilty of playing cheap basses through really nice amps.

I love that approach. Cheap instruments through nice amps is a great way to get cool sounds!

I used to own a Univox Moserite short-scale copy too. It was a great little bass, but I bought it with a specific hacky modification in mind...
I put a cheap guitar bridge and slotted a nut for 6 strings and hacked some guitar tuners onto the headstock, dropped a P90 copy on sale into the bridge pickup, and basically turned it into a baritone (though I strung it and tuned it differently than most).
This was in the 90s when baritone guitars barely existed, and a Fender Bass VI was out of my budget. The Univox cost me maybe $300 USD.
I did a terrible job, but I got a lot of mileage out of that instrument.
Basses: Gibson lpb-1, Gibson dc jr tribute, Greco thunderbird, Danelectro dc, Ibanez blazer.  Amps: genz benz shuttle 6.0, EA CXL110, EA CXL112, Spark 40.  Guitars: Danelectro 59XT, rebuilt cheap LP copy

Dave W

• Administrator
  • Got time to breathe, got time for music
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2023, 03:27:15 PM »
The Univox Mosrite copies sounded better than Mosrites.

morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2023, 03:34:18 PM »
A number of people that have owned both have told me that. I’ve never had the opportunity to spend time on a Mosrite , but have to say the Flier sounds a lot better than I thought it would.
It’s a good sounding bass!

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2023, 03:44:47 PM »
I always find it funny that Ibanez made a Flying V bass long before Gibson did.

Now I’m not a rock guy at all , but I couldn’t resist picking up an Epi V bass when a friend had one for sale. And I love the trashy little thing. They just announced a Korina run of guitars , but no basses.

That's what Bob Mould played in Husker Du.