Author Topic: 1981 G&L L-1000 Fretless for Carlo  (Read 1664 times)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
1981 G&L L-1000 Fretless for Carlo
« on: June 22, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »
Picked this one up for Carlo the other night. Original owner, with warranty card. He handed it to me and said, "I guess it's a little late to turn it in". He wanted a fretless Ric but the wait was 3 months or more but the shop owner said Leo F. had a new company and he might try one. So, he special ordered this fretless bass with ebony finger board. Originally white, it's turned yellow. The red tint on the back is from the original owner's favorite shirt he liked to wear when he played. It has an input jack problem and buzzes horrendously unless you physically press the jack in. Shouldn't be a bad repair and from what I can hear the bass sounds terrific.

Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: 1981 G&L L-1000 Fretless for Carlo
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 08:08:47 AM »
Wow, Thanks, Denis!  Looking forward to this.  It looks to be slightly newer than my other '81 which has a chrome control cover and neckplate with the black bridge.  I'm digging that ebony board and the black/white color scheme.  Gonna have to wear a Tuxedo to play this one.  The electronics sound like a very easy fix.  Again, THANKS!

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 08:15:51 AM »
You're welcome! Haven't had time to look into the input jack, but I suspect it just needs adjustment so it properly holds the cord in place.
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »
Didn't know you played fretless Mr P
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 12:58:51 PM »
Didn't know you played fretless Mr P

Only slightly worse than anything else, not saying much. ;D  This will be my first unlined neck.  To be honest, the necks may be switched with this bass and the 2 pup fretless possibly sold.  The other pup was installed when the original owner bought it in '81.  Pro job but the second pup doesn't add much.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 04:25:51 PM »
That would be a logical move...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...