Author Topic: RNR, the next project  (Read 17964 times)

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
Re: RNR, the next project
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 12:48:07 PM »
There's something wonderfully Jetsons - Warner Brothers cartoon - Formica boomerang pattern - 50's - about that body and pickguard.  I REALLY like it!..

Maybe it reminds me of this hairdo:

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

birdie

• Trying hard to be the person my dog thinks I am.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 02:33:02 PM »
I love single PUP basses. Maybe you could creatively modify the headstocks into something more yours?
Fleet Guitars

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 03:24:54 PM »
I love single PUP basses. Maybe you could creatively modify the headstocks into something more yours?

A single pup bass will cost less and allow easy upgrading because of the large pup route  and P/G.  The.JAEbird headstock has the Fender shape because it's a replica but stuff that I consider mine will have a different headstock.  They will probably be modified Fender headstocks, paddle headstocks cost about 10% more.  The neck on the RNR proto was hanging in the shop and it fit the neck pocket that's why I used it.  I have some Allparts necks coming this week.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 08:37:15 PM »
I agree on the horn, size is OK, it  does need some reshaping.  On the cant, I'm not sure, a P Bass pup has the E and A closer to the neck than the D and G but you may be right.  I have 4 Jazz type pups, I'm considering putting two each in series and epoxying them together and seeing what they sound like (2 pups total) .  Re third dimension I'm thinking of some body contouring, the raised center section might cause difficulties with the P/G execution but I agree it does need something.  I've dug string thrus since my '55 P, seems like it would work on this one.  The knob placement and pup configuration have a good possibility of being changed.

Mmmm, in looking at the top horn it is above the rear bout somewhat in height - could this help the overall appearance if it was lower to match the height of the rear?

As for the lower horn I still think it can shaved a bit without compromising it's originality.  I'm still not feeling the canted pickup(s) - to me it makes the overall bass look too busy.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2010, 04:54:12 AM »
Tweaking needs to be done.  I've got more concerns about the back end of the body but lowering the front horn may help.  I think the P/G execution and the positive/negative it creates with the body will improve the overall look, this is a very rough bandsaw cut on the body and quick guard cutout.  The pup is too big, it's from a 5 and the cant is making the bass look overly cartoonish, which is a line I'm trying not to cross.  'Whatever stands out gets taken away' has served me well over the years.

I'm thinking of a Duncan  MM pup which is to the specs of the original non EB Stingray, and using a clone of the early 2 band EQ which is very simple.  I've been playing my '76 'Ray a bit lately and the sound is knocking me out, very big and airy.  I don't much like the way the pup looks is the problem, might have to cut off those 'ears'.

Main problem today is getting cataldobasses.com up.  I can't seem to figure out how to publish my homepage to Bluehost.

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2010, 06:44:10 AM »
something to anchor a thumb on, like the pick up you mentioned trimming the ears off?
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2010, 10:42:59 AM »
There's something wonderfully Jetsons - Warner Brothers cartoon - Formica boomerang pattern - 50's - about that body and pickguard.  I REALLY like it!..

Here's the table I designed and sold for about 10 years through the Speigel catalog among other places.  The shape came from the figures on RI Formica boomerang laminate, I blew one up and modded it...of course it was called 'Boom'.  Got lots of Jetsons remarks at trade shows...also very unstable if something like a cat jumped on it in the wrong place, let alone a toddler.  I don't know how I never got sued.

something to anchor a thumb on, like the pick up you mentioned trimming the ears off?

Yeah, that canted pup is just right for thumb resting.

Pilgrim

• View Profile
    • YouTube channel
« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2010, 10:58:42 AM »
To me, there are few things more 50's then the Formica with the boomerang pattern.  I remember it fondly.  Glad you knew what I was referring to!
"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any other invention with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."

Chris P.

• Warwickhoer
    • View Profile
    • The La La Lies
« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2010, 11:32:19 AM »
I missed this thread, but I really love the design!!!

jumbodbassman

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2010, 01:06:29 PM »
Started this AM just to get an idea of where to go next.  The body is slightly oversize, hasn't been fine tuned  Pine 2x4s, paper P/G.  There's a BIG route behind the P/G to try different pups and placement.  Have not done any soldering so don't know how it sounds yet.  Believe it or not I used to sell coffee tables shaped like the pickguard in the late 80s to mid 90s.  Decided to cant the pup as recommended by Psycho.  It works for me visually.  I'm liking the one pup concept.  Thanks for all the comments!

Standard Pbass case, tight fit.  Probably need to reduce the bass length by 1/2"

i agree it may/should sound better i don't like the way it looks reversed.  looks lik eit belongs on a fanned fret bass. 
Sitting in traffic somewhere between CT and NYC
JIM

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2010, 01:21:59 PM »

i agree it may/should sound better i don't like the way it looks reversed.  looks lik eit belongs on a fanned fret bass. 

Well, I've got this wild hair that I want it to sound like a vintage Leo Stingray...that was my original intention back in the day with my first Fenderbird.  I was going to use everything but the body of my '76 SR.

I've found the original preamp circuit and supposedly the Duncan MM pup is a true repro of the original design so here we go back to the future...

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2010, 01:30:39 PM »
I'm also thinking that the rear would look better if it were more T-Bird or Explorer shaped. The sloped pickup would look more natural that way.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2010, 04:27:29 PM »
Coming along nicely...
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

nofi

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2010, 05:23:40 PM »
to be honest with you i didn't think much of the design at first. however it has grown on me quicker than kudzu. i really like it now!
i wonder if the upper bout should be a bit smaller or the pickguard extend more into that area?

also i think color would could make or break this design. i love dark basses but this one should be rather 'festive'. seafoam green, candy apple red, turquoise etc.

or i could be totally wrong on every count.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 07:54:51 AM by nofi »
"life is a blur of republicans and meat"- zippy the pinhead

patman

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2010, 03:03:53 PM »
I don't think the slant of the pickup works well with the body shape