Author Topic: RNR, the next project  (Read 17966 times)

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
Re: RNR, the next project
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »
carlo, my ritter comment was directed at lightyears comment above me, sorry. but hey i've heard of colombo. little guy in rumpled cloths? ;D

I should have known that.  Sorry, off my meds today.  But yeah, that's the guy ;)

Denis

• Harvester of Appendixes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
Here's the single pup version

Not to offend: something about this shape really bothers me. I can't quite put my finger on it but I think it has something to do with the front horns looking like they are trying to over symmetrically overcompensate for the NR back half of the body
Why did Salvador Dali cross the road?
Clocks.

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 07:01:39 PM »
I should have known that.  Sorry, off my meds today.  But yeah, that's the guy ;)

I knew who Eames was as well :P  Most of the furniture I like tends to be simple - no new fangled swoopy stuff for me ;D  Though modern designer are more in line with the original Tbird.

I just can't see a Shaker or Stickley inspired bass  :rolleyes:

Nocturnal

• View Profile
    • Myspace page
TWINKLE TWINKLE LITTLE BAT
HOW I WONDER WHAT YOU'RE AT

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2010, 03:05:16 AM »
Not to offend: something about this shape really bothers me. I can't quite put my finger on it but I think it has something to do with the front horns looking like they are trying to over symmetrically overcompensate for the NR back half of the body
That could be.

It sort of reminds me of this, but not exactly.

http://www.wembleyguitarcentre.com/Catalogue/Guitar-Centre/Bass-Guitars/Fret-King/Fret-King-Europa-IV-Bass-Guitar-Green-Label-FGEB1VW

That one's in the same universe, though a bit overwrought IMO.  I'm a Les Ismore kind of guy.

Thanks everyone, all comments noted. I'm gonna put in a few hours on this one today before consigning it to the dust bin of bassdom.  I'll think about that Craftsman Bass.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2010, 08:34:25 AM »
Tho bottom horn needs to resemble the top more in shape.  P/G may too big but I like being able to rout a swimming pool to allow different pups to be easily used.  Those are Ebay buckers, 12.7 ohms.  Thru body strings, gives me something to do with all those bridge parts if I sell tailpieces.

Bring it on guys ;D...here's the first one, "Beam me up."

sniper

• one bark....one kill....got mud?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2010, 09:18:37 AM »
i like both of these and i am not a T-Bird man. that single pup job trips my trigger.
I can be true to you sweety until I find a nice medium scale with great breasts. ... CW

Lightyear

• Hey! You damn kids get off my *@%*~&# lawn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2010, 09:18:43 AM »
Better!  IMO I think I would bump out the top horn maybe a 1/2" and then shrink the bottom a touch as well/  I really like the guard - I think its a done deal.  However, I really don't like the angled pickups and the angled controls just don't work for me either - never liked them on any bass.  Sorry, I guess I'm just Mr. Right Angle ;D

Still, I think this is a viable concept ;)

Oh, let me know when you are working on a Craftsman bass - nohting would be better than quatersawn white oak in a fumed finish :P

Also, where are finding the large graph paper?  Artist supply store, fabric store?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 07:12:53 PM by Lightyear »

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2010, 03:10:27 PM »
If you shave any more off the lower horn, it will look like a Jaguar. Aesthetically, the pickup cant looks good, but I bet they would sound better and have a more even string-to-string response sloped in the other direction. Through-body stringing is a huge plus for me and I love the pickguard. If it's not too hard to do, you also might want to consider a raised centerblock like Epi does to fake the neck-through look on their T-Birds or even an arch-carved top. It needs a third dimension.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2010, 07:32:43 PM »
If you shave any more off the lower horn, it will look like a Jaguar. Aesthetically, the pickup cant looks good, but I bet they would sound better and have a more even string-to-string response sloped in the other direction. Through-body stringing is a huge plus for me and I love the pickguard. If it's not too hard to do, you also might want to consider a raised centerblock like Epi does to fake the neck-through look on their T-Birds or even an arch-carved top. It needs a third dimension.

I agree on the horn, size is OK, it  does need some reshaping.  On the cant, I'm not sure, a P Bass pup has the E and A closer to the neck than the D and G but you may be right.  I have 4 Jazz type pups, I'm considering putting two each in series and epoxying them together and seeing what they sound like (2 pups total) .  Re third dimension I'm thinking of some body contouring, the raised center section might cause difficulties with the P/G execution but I agree it does need something.  I've dug string thrus since my '55 P, seems like it would work on this one.  The knob placement and pup configuration have a good possibility of being changed.

drbassman

• Gone but not forgotten
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 05:53:33 AM »
I really like the changes.  The second picture above with the one pup, oh yeah!
I'm fixin' a hole where the rain gets in..........cuz I'm built for a kilt!

Psycho Bass Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 05:59:42 AM »
On the cant, I'm not sure, a P Bass pup has the E and A closer to the neck than the D and G but you may be right. 

It does, but I have found reversed P pickup configurations to be much less overbearing on the lows and thin on the highs. Spectors do this to great effect on the NS2.

exiledarchangel

• I like big necks and I cannot lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 07:33:17 AM »
It does, but I have found reversed P pickup configurations to be much less overbearing on the lows and thin on the highs. Spectors do this to great effect on the NS2.
+1. Not a huge difference, but it is. I like the looks of reverse pee better too.
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it.

godofthunder

• Keep On Rock'n !
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Smoke
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 08:07:22 AM »
   Looks good, I really like the pickguard shape. The single pup version gets my vote.
Maker of the Badbird Bridge, "intonation without modification" for your vintage Gibson Thunderbird

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 11:08:19 AM »
Started this AM just to get an idea of where to go next.  The body is slightly oversize, hasn't been fine tuned  Pine 2x4s, paper P/G.  There's a BIG route behind the P/G to try different pups and placement.  Have not done any soldering so don't know how it sounds yet.  Believe it or not I used to sell coffee tables shaped like the pickguard in the late 80s to mid 90s.  Decided to cant the pup as recommended by Psycho.  It works for me visually.  I'm liking the one pup concept.  Thanks for all the comments!

Standard Pbass case, tight fit.  Probably need to reduce the bass length by 1/2"