Author Topic: Fenderbird Resurrection  (Read 15412 times)

Dr. Aquafresh

• View Profile
Re: Fenderbird Resurrection
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2010, 08:24:46 AM »
Killer!
Bring on the Nubiles

gearHed289

• View Profile
    • Book of faces...
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2010, 08:50:21 AM »
Looks cool! Kind of like a "vintage modern space age" take on a Fenderbird. Just looking at it, I bet it plays nice. What's the name of that color?

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2010, 09:20:06 AM »
Looks cool! Kind of like a "vintage modern space age" take on a Fenderbird. Just looking at it, I bet it plays nice. What's the name of that color?

Thanks, I'm calling it Fenderbird 2010, even though I started the build in 1982.  It does play good, the neck is a 1 5/8" wide 'C' shape Charvel LH Pbass from the early 80's.  The color is Fiesta Red, a Fender custom color that JAE called Salmon Pink.  It's more like a pinkish orange.  I mixed it from clear Nitrocellulose tinted with red, yellow and white Universal Tinting Color.  I'm pretty sure it was originally a '55 Ford color.

Highlander

• There Ken be only one...
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2010, 01:04:03 PM »
Works for me... ;)
The random mind of a Silver Surfer...
If research was easy, it wouldn't need doing...
Staring at that event horizon is a dirty job, but someone has to do it; something's going to come back out of it one day...

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #79 on: September 05, 2010, 09:42:36 AM »
Decided the bridge needed some help.  Removed 1/4 inch (6mm) from the back and moved it and tailpiece forward.  Couldn't get the EMG pre to work so each pup now has a tone pot with .1 mfd cap.  I like the sound of the EMGs, will be installing SSB-4s to compare

Before

After

Strat jack plate has been part of the project from the beginning, allows the cord to be captured under the strap and make it less likely to pull out accidentally...that's my story and I'm sticking to it ;D  For 'strap locks' I prefer fender washers and long screws for any bass that gets used on stage.

Basvarken

• Global Moderator
  • hobby luthier. gibson bass nerd
    • View Profile
    • www.enkoo.nl
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2010, 11:07:27 AM »
Great work Carlo! It looks fantastic.  :toast:

But the pickguard needs some fine tuning IMHO.

The area where the bridge pickup surround meets the pick guard.
And the part where the pick guard almost meets the edge of the lower horn.

Here's a suggestion:

Second alternative for the bridge pickup area.

dadagoboi

• huh?...HUH?
    • View Profile
    • CATALDO BASSES
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2010, 11:30:08 AM »
Thanks, Rob!  It will be corrected if/when THIS Bird goes into production or if I take it to NAMM.  The guard was cut before I decided to do the pup rings.  I think it has to split the distance between the pups and the top curve has to be slightly different, basically your second alternative.

This bass presented problems in that it's been around since '83. It had been hanging on my wall sans electronics taunting me for years before I stumbled upon LBO.  The neck should attach to the body one fret lower, the pups are not centered vertically and the bottom horn is still too big IMO, even though I've trimmed it twice.  The original control cavity doesn't allow any more trimming.  Those are TB+ size rings and toppers, bigger than 60's dimensions, that would also affect the appearance.  Everything is always a matter of mm.